Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #1
Skyskier

Default Newbie, soon to be Gulf Stream owner,........

My wife and I are relatively new to the rv life, we inherited a 2000 Dutchstar motor home, 38 ft, cat diesel, with one slideout, NO TV, it's got 180 K miles on it, my Dad had it serviced every 3,000 miles, he pretty much came down from Idaho every Thanksgiving, parked it at our river house till he headed back to Idaho in April.It's been a good rig but it does need maintenance like the dash air needs to be charged, the brake squealer started going off last time out, and we just put a set of new Michelin tires all the way around l.....we were coming back from Morro bay last week, saw a 2002 Gulf Stream Discovery Yellowstone Silver Edition 36.6FT in a parking lot, for sale. We were NOT looking to buy a newer one but took a look at this one anyway, it has 20 K miles on it, and from what I understand it is "loaded". It's a beautiful rig, has the cat diesel on the freightliner chassis, I've had people tell me I'm "stepping down" from the Dutchstar ? from what little we know about RV's this one looks like a keeper, the guy wanted $45,999 for it, we are gonna take it for a test drive Monday, we can get it for $42,500.00..............your thoughts ?..........thanking any and all input, I'll be on my cell phone the next couple of day's,......hard for me to "type" on it so if I don't reply right away, I WILL be back on the pc on Tuesday / Wednesday..............thanx in advance............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3220021-Medium-1.jpg (137.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg P3220028-Medium-1.jpg (195.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg P3220026-Medium-1.jpg (163.7 KB, 4 views)
Skyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
Sudsy

Very pretty coach. If you do get it and need help with locating some things like windshield wiper arms. The originals are NLA. I have had to learn my 2005 Sun Voyager on my own. It's a gas tractor but a premium coach in my opinion.

Look for soft spots in floor. Near slide rooms. Make sure it has been properly cared for (ie winterized correctly) and the water pump works. Have them fill the freshwater holding tank to see if any leaks appear. Run water down the drains and look for leaks. If it has an ice-maker see if it works or if the water hose has frozen and cracked and washed the coach down for a few years.
These are just things I have learned over the last year. Every time I find something wrong when I get into the job it is apparent that someone has been there before me (drawer slides).

Sudsy
Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 PM   #3
Frutza

Looks nice, if the Dutch star does not have full body paint, then that alone makes it worth it, full body paint is a $10k option.
Yes people talk bad about Gulfstreams, But same chassis and most of the components are not made by Gulfstream. I you have brand new tries, of course, switch them out. Gulfstream stopped making drivers back in 08 or 09, I think they've started a class "C" back up, some of the construction is cheaper, but then so are other coaches, the only problem with mine I can relate to Gulfstream, and I don't know why or if there all wired this way, was my front Air conditioner was wired thru the inverter found it and changed it but the damage was done to the transfer relay and it was junk. If your happy with the deal go for it
Old 02-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Frutza

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2002/G...3039617/Values

2002 Gulf Stream

Independence Series M-8355 (330hp) Silver Prices

Values Specifications Special Notes
Values

Values

Suggested
List Price

Low
Retail

Average
Retail

Base Price
$147,833
$29,900
$36,050
Options (Add)
Total Price
$147,833
$29,900
$36,050

Don't forget to protect your investment.
Get your Free RV/Trailer Insurance Quote in minutes

Research another motorhome
Go

Truck deals, pricing and values
Old 02-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #5
JRS950

Inquiring minds want to know; did you buy this nice looking rig?
Florida for now
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote