Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
Big Shasta

Default AVOID Guardian Generac Generators

If you are looking at a used Coach with a Generac Generator, DON'T BUY IT.

One month in to my "new to-me" 2006 Gulf Stream Crescendo the day I'm leaving for our first trip (close to home to work all the kinks out) the generator won't start...cranks real slow and after about 20 seconds of cranking (10 sec - pause - 10 sec) it smells like burning wiring. Local RV place says it sounds like the starter but won't even look at it because it has a Generac Generator (model 42720). I call a few more places in town and NOBODY will even look at a Generac generator.

I know the batteries are good, the Cat Diesel starts right up.

I have an extended warranty so it's not really my problem but what do I do if nobody will work on it?

Everyone says it has to be pulled out and since it's not on a slide it likely has to drop out the bottom. I sort of confirmed that with the service manual I found online https://generator-parts.com/manuals/...-rv/0F4996.pdf ...Says you have to be able to get the bottom panel of it off to get to the starter but it says to lift it up....I'm sure this 7500watt diesel isn't light.

What now?
Big Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Restorium

This may help;
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #3
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Thank you very much. I searched here and RV.net for anyone that replaced the starter on one but I guess I didn't use the right search terms...I didn't find any. I think I was too specific.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 AM   #4
Restorium

You're welcome. And thank you for giving me an opportunity to help and learn with you.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
Big Shasta

Found a Detroit Diesel shop that has a lift and is willing to tackle this. The Starter is available from Generac, a repair center confirmed that but they won't touch it unless it's out of the coach.

Their estimate is 9 hours labor @ 120 per hour. the starter is 308.64 from Generac. Waiting to hear back from the extended warranty company to fix something with the registration of my new extended warranty before I can even start the preauthorization process.

What are the odds of them covering this kind of cost for a starter repair? I can see them saying the removal of the generator isn't covered even though it's REQUIRED to replace the starter according to the OEM.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:35 AM   #6
kevinkavanagh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shasta View Post
If you are looking at a used Coach with a Generac Generator, DON'T BUY IT.

One month in to my "new to-me" 2006 Gulf Stream Crescendo the day I'm leaving for our first trip (close to home to work all the kinks out) the generator won't start...cranks real slow and after about 20 seconds of cranking (10 sec - pause - 10 sec) it smells like burning wiring. Local RV place says it sounds like the starter but won't even look at it because it has a Generac Generator (model 42720). I call a few more places in town and NOBODY will even look at a Generac generator.

I know the batteries are good, the Cat Diesel starts right up.

I have an extended warranty so it's not really my problem but what do I do if nobody will work on it?

Everyone says it has to be pulled out and since it's not on a slide it likely has to drop out the bottom. I sort of confirmed that with the service manual I found online https://generator-parts.com/manuals/...-rv/0F4996.pdf ...Says you have to be able to get the bottom panel of it off to get to the starter but it says to lift it up....I'm sure this 7500watt diesel isn't light.

What now?
I had sesame issue on having to drop generator - my RV place got the extended waranty company to cover most of the extra labor but were not happy about it. Good news is generator runs perfectly now.
kevinkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#generac, #generator, #guardian, #starter