Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Texas TC

Default International chassis air suspension pictures

I have taken three pictures of the American Carrier Equipment air suspension system installed on my SuperNova. Rear looking forward view, compressor mounted on frame behind the propane tank, and side view showing the shocks mounted at an angle forward of the air bags.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
JimBob

Thanks for posting, TC- Looks like a professional installation, and from what you've commented on so far, a professional result. One question, where are the air horns ?

JimBob
08 Super Nova
Fixing to head on down to St Augustine Fl for the winter!
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
nailerman

Default International chassis air suspension pictures

TC I have been working with Phil at American Carrier Equipment in Fresno about putting an Air Ride on my SN 6362. He saw your pictures above and wants you to get in touch with him at either [email protected] or 1-800-344-2174. He noticed a slight discrepancy in the installation alignment and would like to tell you how to take care of it and it would improve the ride even better.

I would be anxious to know how this works out for you. At the present time, I have the air installed but cannot find someone around Richmond to do the installation. May have to get my own shop to do it.

I also read in the string about towing with an SN and how much the trailer hitch hops. This should help in that field too.
nailerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Texas TC

nailerman,
Thanks for your comments. I just finished a 12 hour day working security and traffic for RV's at the NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway. There is a coach with your floorplan parked about a hundred yards from me. I went down and talked to the driver after work today.

I sent off an email to Phil. I am very interested in any input he may have. I did tell him that the pictures were taken with the bags deflated while on the leveling jacks which could have some impact on the way the system appears in the pictures. I look forward to his response and will gladly share with all.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
nailerman

TC, I can understand about the 12 hours at a NASCAR Race. When I was a Teenager back in the sixties, I drove a Ford Dealers Airplane to the races all the time, because I wanted the multi-engine flight time and I did not drink. That was back in the days of real drivers and no money. I am a Richard Petty and Junior Johnson Fan.

Anyway Phil is a great guy and has been a lot of help like this forum. He told me that what he has for your is an easy adjustment. I can't wait to get this Air Bag System up and running. I would have paid GS for this if they had offered it. I don't understand GS and the way they do business. We sure don't. The customer is our bread and butter.

I use the SN in my business since I don't fly like I used to. No fun anymore and I can't pass the physical.

Have many friends and customers in Texas. I hope our paths will cross.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Texas TC

I have had conversations with both GS and International about why they did not supply the chassis with air suspension systems from the factory. GS said it was a cost issue. International said the cost would have been less than the add-on if ordered from the factory.

My gut feeling is that GS got a great deal on 650 (that is the figure I heard early on when these things first came out) chassis that were the last run of the VT365 on the 4200. They have now changed to the Maxx Force 7 on the 4200. This particular run was basic without the air suspension option. No one has confirmed this but it sure seems like that is the situation. One good thing about getting this run of chassis' is that we got the 2004 emissions which I suppose means more power and less filtering of the exhaust to choke down the engine.

I look forward to getting an answer from ACE. Good luck on finding someone to install the system for you. I cannot say enough good things about the improvement in the ride. My wife is elated in the difference when she strolls to the back from time to time.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #7
DGator

Default Ace Air Suspension

Texas TC
I want to thank you for all the information that you and others have provided on this forum, I have been especially interested in the info provided on the ACE system, as we can not keep clothes on hangers either. I have been discussing air suspension with my local International dealer since August and have passed along your postings for their review. After reviewing your photos on the install they have agreed to install the ACE system for $5200.00.

Before I agree to the install I just wanted to ask if you are still happy with the air system and have you received any feedback on the modifications to your installation.

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
DGator
DGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #8
Kimbo

DGator,

I'm sure TexasTC will reply but I wanted to jump in too. I also had ACE air suspension system installed on our rig in this past summer (July). The price your shop is quoting you is just about the same we paid. We are very happy with the results & would do it again. It greatly improved the passenger comfort and leveled the RV. I have the SuperNova 6372 which had a slight lean towards the driver side due to the weight of the slide. The shop that installed our air suspension set the pressure of the air bags at different settings to level the rig which made me very happy. We also noticed we spend less time retighten screws and adjusting cargo after the air suspension install. The ride doesn't compare to a Class A with full air suspension but it is probably best described as ?big truck like?.

Surprisingly, my husband (the driver) hasn't noticed any difference in the ride or handling. The passengers (especially me) are the ones who appreciate the smoother ride. I was seriously thinking about ditching the SuperNova in a few years because of the uncomfortable ride. During long trips I would feel sick and exhausted riding in the SuperNova. I?m now starting to change my tune. Who knows, maybe the SuperNova will be our forever rig.

For the life of me, I really don't understand why air suspension isn't a standard for all Class C's. Especially one this big and heavy.

Good luck on your decision for your upgrades.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #9
DGator

Kimbo,
Thank you for the feedback. Have Happy Thanksgiving.
DGator[/list]
Old 11-24-2009, 04:00 PM   #10
Texas TC

I just completed my second trip to Phoenix and back to Dallas putting on some 4400 miles in the process since adding the air system. My wife absolutely loves the new system. She now leaves things on the counter and in her words, no longer needs to rescue clothes off hangers, pillows off the bed, etc. In fact, today when we stopped for lunch, I noticed she had left the space heater on the kitchen counter and we drove 525 miles and it didn't move.

I, being the sole driver, have noticed some differences from the drivers seat. Dips in the road no longer cause the jarring effect from the rear of the coach that was there before the installation of the air system. The chassis seems to float in unison from the front to the rear of the coach. Riding on the two big air bags did not cause any adverse effects to the driving experience. I had a strong north to south cross wind today coming across I10 and I20, passed several semi's and there was no sway or drift from the wind or other high profile vehicles. I drive long hard days on our trips out to visit the kids in Arizona (500-700 miles a day) and this addition to the chassis makes a big difference in how I feel when the day is done.

We do plan to keep this coach for several years and I am grateful that Southwest International proposed the installation of this system to our coach. The cost quoted to you is in line and I know you will like the results!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #11
DGator

Texas TC
Thanks for the reply, with Kimbo?s and your feedback the confidence level is high and I shall order the ACE system tomorrow.... fret no longer clothes closet, help is on the way.

Thank you again, Gobble Gobble
DGator
Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Texas TC

I did have one issue with this unit when it was first installed. The solenoid failed during the first week. That is the unit that tells the compressor when to turn on to refill the storage tank. It was replaced by Southwest International at their cost with a much better and more expensive Square D solenoid (the gray box on the top front of the compressor) and I have not had any other issues.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #13
Texas TC

DGator,

While at my International dealer today having the oil changed on my SuperNova, I talked with the Special Equipment Manager that did my air suspension system. He told me he had talked with your dealer and walked him through the process. Both dealers felt comfortable after the conversation.

Good luck and smooth driving.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
JimBob

Well, old pal, looks like we'll be installing the system next time we're in Texas.... Thanks for debugging it for us! Happy holidays to you and your bride... Hope to see you just after the new year.

JimBob
08 Super Nova 6362
08 Malibu Toad

St Augustine, Fl. for the winter.
http:jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
nailerman

Say Kimbo, your being above me in Laurel, MD, who installed your AEC Air Ride. I am trying to get Thurston Spring here in Richmond to do it for me. But am having a cold reception so far. I am getting prices on this board that seem a little high since the unit from Fresno is around $1300.00. I have installed a five gallon air system in my 6362 and will already have another three gallon tank added in the rear for the AEC. I would like my IH Dealer here in Richmond do it, but they are not very positive about it. I figure for me to catch up should run around $2,500.00. I may just pay two of my master machine builders in my shop to do it for me on a Saturday.

But believe you me, I really want to improve that ride. As far as I am concerned that is the IH's only problem and for that I blame Goofstream who ordered these chassis on the cheap. I think they still are, though the 4200 is no longer in production and they may have to go to the 4300. I hope so. Bigger engine, transmission and maybe at least shocks.

And TC when I put in the air system, I changed there on the spot to a Square D unit. Though I am thinking of changing to a constant duty compressor. Considering Air Seats Next.

As another point, my SN is in the shop for the third time with the tranny slipping on the up shift. Any one else had this problem?

Keep in touch all,
Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #16
Texas TC

Here we go:
1. It took Southwest International a little over a day to install my system. I am quite sure your guys can handle the job. The main thing is to have the lifts to jack the chassis up with while the wheels are removed and the leaf springs are repositioned to ride in the new carrier.

2. I was at Southwest International last week to have my preventive maintenance done and they had brochures for the 4200 chassis. It now has the MaxxForce 7 engine. I was told that this engine replaced the VT365 primarily to meet the new emission standards. The 6.4L does not have any more hp than ours but is burdened with some additional emission equipment.

3. I have not seen a need for air suspension seats. Ours are pretty soft and comfortable. I would change the rear suspension before I made a decision to go to the air seats.

4. I am very surprised you have had problems with the Allison 2500MH transmission. That is one of the strongest components on the drive train. It is made to successfully handle the full GCWR of 33000 pounds which is over-sized for most of our applications.

5. I have sent two emails to American Carrier Equipment concerning their proposed adjustment to my installation and have not got a response from them. If a minor change is required, I would certainly like to know what should be done.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

(whew, my fingers are out of breath)

Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Kimbo

Nailerman,

We took our SN to shop in Baltimore. They came highly recommended by everyone including our local International shop. Talk to Scott Williams. Here's the shop's contact information:

Middleton & Meads Co.
1900 South Hanover Street
Baltimore, MD 21230
Tel: 410-752-5588

[email protected]
Old 01-04-2010, 04:25 PM   #18
B44D

Default Air Ride

Texas TC,
I just traded my Kodiak Conquest for a new 2009 SN 6372. What a difference! Anyway, I want to put the air-ride system on it. I live in Dallas (keep the RV near Cleburne), looks like you are in my area. I would like to get more info on which system you purchased and who installed. Also, which dealer do you use for warranty work?

Thanks, [email protected]
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #19
B44D

I just ordered my air ride. One of the comments in this thread mentioned that someone looked at Texas TC's installation pictures and thought there was something that could be done to improve it. Was there evr any follow-up on that?
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote