Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-24-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Nanaeve

Default Computer Upgrades / Tuners

For those out there with the International Chassis / VT365 Engine: What upgrades / tuners have you installed and what did they accomplish? I hear that another patch / upgrade is in the works from Navstar but what is this to do or fix? I don't have enough miles to start doing things for improving the mileage, but everthing helps. There will come a time when I'll be able to start making changes but whatis your experience?

Has anyone been sucessful with having thier 2500 AllisonTransmission upgraded / enabled to a 6 speed, my local shop sayes thier Corporate has to OK and send a File to do this, but I have noticed that this is used as a 6 speed in other makers vehicles and wonder how they like it. Any thoughts?
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Porscheguy

I just had my coach serviced at the local International dealer (hugh dealer) and was told that all of the 2500's are 5 speeds. I was told when I purchased mine it was a six speed. I spoke with the service writer for a while trying to figure out a way to bring down the cruising rpms (I have the 5.29 gears) and he never mentioned converting to a 6 speed. Has anyone had this done? I don't know how you would do it.

Relating to your first question, I have a tuner installed that I will have to verify the name of, I beleive it is an M8. I can not tell anydiference with it turned on or off but I have not towed my trailer yet which is where the difference could be found, will let you know.
Porscheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Biobug

I HAVE 20,000 on mi VT365 now and have had the usual issues with the turbo Phart and CEL's. I just put on a Extreme Diablo Puck on it. I took it on a 335 mile trip to the coast this weekend pulling our Liberty. The puck is adjustable for "on the fly" changes.I should have turned it all the way up like I did on the way home.
It makes a noticeable difference. Where it shifted into 4th it now stays in 5th and the same on steeper inclines it stays in 4th rather than shifting down. I was able to maintain my speed better with less of the pharting cresting hills. As far as mileage goes it increased a conservative 1/2 mpg to 8.8 mpg. I had 8.3 mpg the last trip over the coast range and back so I am happy with the difference. I pushed it more this trip however.
They advertise 2 mpg increase and up to 30% power increase. I would guess a 50 hp increase with less mpg increase than I hoped. I will still keep it though as even my wife remarked it was smoother on hills and better with the pharting than before.
For the $275.00 price I feel it is worth it. It was very easy to install -only took 15 minutes. There is a little tab on the steering column under the dash with a hole in it that worked perfect to install the round knob adjustment and then I ran it thru the rubber block there thru the firewall and over behind the Air Filter to the unit that sticks on with velcro. It can
be taken off in the same 15 minutes if necessary if it goes to International
for some reason. I needed a few extra zipties more than provided.
It is not a radical change in power but it is noticeable and does help mileage however not as much as they state. But for the $ I recommend it as an aid to drivability.
If you do purchase one there are several prices on the net for the same thing. I found it cheaper thru Thoroughbreddiesel at $275.00 with free shipping. Others charge up to $399.

"There comes a time in a mans life that he must
take the bull by the tail and face the situation."
Biobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
schmittm

Here are 2 of past posts I made for the Tuner I have. Check out there website, it works and is noticable.

One other item I have added is a TSdieselperformace chip (plug-in box). This makes a difference that you can feel, if you are driving and turn the dial from off to all the way on, you can feel it. The cruise control goes from fluctuating the throttle all the time to being able to hold a constant speed with out contstantly on the gas/off the gas. There is also more power for towing and hill climbing. Not sure my mileage is any better yet, but it is worth it for the extra power. Does not change or mess with ECM so will not show up if they plug in to your ECM that you made any changes, if you are having any engine work done you will still want to unplug/remove it so they do not see it.
Here is website http://www.tsdieselperformance.com/site ... ge/1095737

It might be awhile, but so far it seems to be around 1 mpg better. Controller has been in for about 2000 miles and not a problem, engine is smoother and not working as hard, has a little extra pull when going up steep hills.
As far as warranty, go to TSdiesel website and it tells you what the box does. You actually plug it into the port on top of the passenger side valve cover. What it mainly does is increase the fuel pressure at the injectors. It keeps it under the safe limits of the injectors, but alot higher then the factory. You are not changing the ECM at all or the turbo.
I had it in for all that warranty work and before I took it in I unhooked the controller and plugged it back in the stock way. They never said a word to me and it did not show up when they plugged into the computor.
International actually will sell a higher performance program for your ECM, I think it was between $700-900.