Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-27-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Rhodesia

Default switch under the sink

Does anyone know what the switch operates that is located under the sink? I have a Gulf Stream Sun Voyager model 8368. Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg switch.JPG (49.8 KB, 3 views)
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 AM   #2
Frutza

Electric side of water heater, make sure the switch on the water heater itself is turned on
Old 08-28-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Rhodesia

Thank you I have done that but the pilot light for the water heater keeps wanting to ignite once you turn on the electric switch and leave the water heater switch on when using shore power the pilot light under the water heater light should stop from trying to ignite when using electric? just asking because my motorhome did not come with a manual.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #4
Chuck v

There should be a switch to turn off the gas water heater DSI (at least there is on my coach next to the gas pilot light indicator...)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Rhodesia

Thank you for the response back, at this time I have found no switch to turn off the gas flow when you want to use the electric water heater when not using the LP gas.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
Chuck v

In your control panel where the tank level indicators are there should be both a water pump switch and a water heater switch. Next to the water heater switch is the indicator for the pilot light status. This water heater switch is the one that controls the gas heating function, and turning it off disables the gas heating burner in your water heater (most likely a Surburban but possibly an Atwood appliance...) With the gas heating switch off, the electric switch under your sink should allow shore power to heat your water electrically. There is another small rocker switch on the water heater itself that needs also to be in the ON position to allow electric heating of the water -- be sure that is also in the correct position.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
Rhodesia

Default electric Switch for water heater

Ok what am I missing here? I think a couple of push buttons for the re-set anything else? Electric water heater still not working but the switch looks nice under the sink
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater.JPG (110.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg heater1.JPG (106.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
Chuck v

Your images came out sideways in your post, and the lower one is cropped so the electric heat switch is not showing. The two push-buttons are resets on the thermostats and not switches.

You can study the call-outs on the picture in this thread to see that the small rocker switch you seek is at the lower left corner of the heater under the burner assembly...
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...elp-12427.html

Chuck

Old 08-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #9
Rhodesia

Sorry about that but thats how the form showed the pictures, I could not turn them around, also there is no electric switch on the outside water heater panel, only switch I have is inside the coach under the sink. I found the manual for the water heater but it also shows no switch. So I'm at a loss here unless the switch under the sink replaces the switch that is suppose to be on the outside panel? again thank you for your help, Trying to get help from the Gulf Stream company is like asking for another cookie all they told me was they do not maintain extra parts or replacement items for their motorhomes like Winnebago does.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Chuck v

What is the model number on your heater? If you take off the oval cover behind the burner is there a wired electric heating element under it? Do the wires go into the appliance at that point? If you have the under sink switch on does the little light on that same switch-plate under the sink come on? If you have the under sink switch on, does the water get hot even if the gas valve to the entire motor home is shut off?

Lots of questions -- but the answers will help diagnose your situation.

Chuck

Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
Rhodesia

yes the light comes on for the switch under the sink, I found the other switch on front of the water heater it was off, so I flipped on, the water heater still does not heat the tank by electric by shore power. But it works fine by LP gas no problem. The manual for the water heater is called "Direct Vent Gas Water Heater Direct Spark Ignition models SW10D, SW10DM SW10DE SW10DEM in the manual it has instructions to operate the electric water heater making sure you turn off the water heater switch on the control board inside the coach. I have a feeling the the element for the electric heater is bad just my thought. any help would be great and again thank you for your help.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Chuck v

Yes it sounds like the AC electric heating circuit has a fault. It could be the 110 volt heating element, or the AC thermostat, or the high temperature shutoff control. The latter two items are located under that rubber cover with the two reset pads...I had a high temperature cutout fail on my heater some time ago and it was easy to replace the assembly (the two items come as a single replaceable part assembly.) Turn off all the AC controls to your heater and the circuit breaker also when working on the wiring on the heater for safety's sake.

Chuck

Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #13
Frutza

Like Chuck said, but , the heating element will burn out if someone leaves the switch on with no water in the water heater, do you have a hard wired Surge Guard? If you do you can see if its working right there
Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 PM   #14
Rhodesia

Thank you both for the help, It's going to the RV shop next week I'm looking at getting all new breaks on this monster I'm sure that will break the bank. Not sure if the last owner was a break rider or not only has 44,000 miles on the Gulf Stream for a 2007 model I still have a full warranty for the coach includes the water heater.