Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-18-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
chamberlain

Default Crescendo rear mud guard

Anyone, added a rear mud flap to a Crescendo? I'd like to add one but not sure what's involved.... Mounting ( addional brackets), cutting out the exhaust pipe clearance area, and what's the best location not to affect the air flow to the radiator. Reason.... When I tow the boat it gets covered with stuff due to the air flow form the rear of the RV. I've seen some that actually have the Gulfsteam Logo on the flap and more than likely it was added at the factory

Thx John
Old 10-18-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
C.Reilly

I hope you get lots of answers to this one. We were told by our dealer it couldn't be done yet we've seen quite a few with the mud guard. My car looks awful after a 4 hour tow.

Carol
Old 10-18-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
chamberlain

Carol,

I've seen several and some even had the metal plate across the bottom that said Gulfstream. I've thought about adding one from Ultraguard but have not felt to confident that it could be modified for the exaust pipe and still mount strong enough to not fly off when I'm going down the road @ 80 mph when towing.

John
Old 10-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

This is the guard that came on our GS Yellowstone. I have also seen them just like it on some Crescendos.

GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #5
earljan34

Hey John, I know this sounds stuped but have you called GS parts to see if they make one for your coach? If they do then go from there and check aftermarket, just a thought.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #6
C.Reilly

We've seen those too and wondered why our dealer said what he did. We are taking the coach up this morning for winterizing (dirty word) and I will ask again. We've always had one on our other coaches.
I don't think our dealer is an official Gulfstream dealer. Just a dealer who had a Gulfstream on his lot. I know they don't do body work. We got hit with a stone last time out from a lawn mower at a Thousand Trails and had to go to some other body shop for an estimate.
I am also going to ask about a booth. That dining table and two chairs are just about useless. Those tiny cupboards underneath are useless. I don't feel like crawling on my hands and knees to use them. Wonder what "man" came up with that idea

Carol
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Reilly
Those tiny cupboards underneath are useless. I don't feel like crawling on my hands and knees to use them. Wonder what "man" came up with that idea

Carol

Hey now, I resemble that remark.

I believe the only practical use for the small cabinet underneath the table is for the table leaf storage. The dining chairs in our coach are very uncomfortable to sit in for very long. We are planning on replacing them with Maple wood chairs with pads placed on them of the wife's deco choice.
The two folding chairs that are for guests are actually more comfort to my behind that the two fabric covered dining chairs.

As far as the rear guard frame work. There is a frame that bolts onto the chassis frame extending to the rear and there are just two bolts that hold the top part of the metal guard on. It would be quite simple to make one or I believe that it could probably be ordered from Gulf Stream along with the rear flap/guard. On ours the two chassis batteries also sit on this framework. So if your coach has the two batteries right inside between the rear grill and radiator, then that frame is already there.

Looking at the Base and Options sheet that was on our coach it is listed that it cost $553.00 for the Rear Rock Guard when installed by Gulf Stream at the factory.

Ron
Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #8
Bill Reetz

Default Rear Mud/Stone Guard

My 03 Yellowstone has had one added. I started out with the plain rubber one and the dealer put a 90 degree elbow on the exhaust to route it out the side instead of straight back. I was able to get one of the "Gulfstream" ones from a friend who no longer wanted it. All It took to mount mine was drilling 2 holes on either side of the hitch receiver at the very back of the coach. I used 2 of those chain type links that have a nut that screws them shut on each side, one through the flap the other through the hitch. 10,000+ miles without a problem (but I've never had it up to 80 to see if will take that)!!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
C.Reilly

Since I didn't get any folding chairs, I just have the two cushioned ones.
Asked about putting a booth in. Of course the guy I needed to talk to was on vacation. Bow hunting or something.
This set up is OK for Chuck and I, but when we had our niece with us it created a problem as to a seating arrangement. So I solved that problem quickly. We went out to eat

Carol

Trying to plan for spring --- when is that back home rally usually? Of course going to do ALL planning this year in pencil. Had to change our calendar too many times last year
Old 10-19-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Reilly
Trying to plan for spring --- when is that back home rally usually? Of course going to do ALL planning this year in pencil. Had to change our calendar too many times last year
Carol,

The Scheduled date is June 18-24, 2007 International Rally Back Home in Indiana Goshen, IN

It will be at the Elkhart County Fairgrounds once again.

Ron
Old 10-23-2006, 09:48 PM   #11
Plemons

Don't order from the factory, I did and found out I could have got it much cheaper from Camping World or any other source. It simply attaches
with a C-clamp type device with two or three links of chain. Not worth the money to order from the factory.

Plemons
Old 10-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
chamberlain

John

Did you have to modify the exaust pipe or cut out a section of the guard to clear the pipe. Was it the ultraguard from CW? I've seen these on sale for about $75 and had given it some thought.

Thx John
Old 10-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #13
Plemons

Yes, it is the Ultraguard that I have. No modification needed on my coach for the exhaust. However I did not like the way that the tailpipe was attached(only clamped to muffler) so I added a hanger. I also removed the tailpipe and rotated it 45 degrees so the bend right off the muffler was pointed up and it gave me about a two inch rise on the tailpipe. No more scrapes backing out of the driveway.

John
Old 04-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #14
BamBam424

Anyone know a Gulfstream Junk Yard to get a Gulfstream or Atrium mug guard?
BamBam424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #15
Frutza

https://rvparts.visonerv.com/
Old 04-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #16
BamBam424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Thanks, sent an email after looking at all the Gulfstreams. Makes ya I'll to look at wrecked ones
BamBam424 is offline   Reply With Quote