Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
Heimbig

Default Supernova Spare Tire question

It appears that spare tires are a thing of the past for most motorhomes. How do you deal with that issue, especially if you have a supernova?
Heimbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
quikduk

We have a GS-SVB but we have 22.5" tires. I am not sure what size a SN has but I carry a spare tire (without rim) in my main bay on the DS in case I need it.

Unless you have wrestled a 22.5" rim on and off, let alone change a tire manually on one, you wouldn't want to do it, esp. on the side of the road. Call a truck tire company to change it or carry the tools and have the experience to do it yourself. I do and can but don't. I hope I never have to either.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
Texas TC

The SuperNova came with a year of "Coach-Net" free. After the first year of ownership, I chose to pay for the service. I have never had to use it but in the case of any coach emergency from fuel, batteries, or tires, I find it comforting to know they will come out and take care of me.

I know their tire prices are probably inflated and if I wanted to make sure I got a good deal on a possible tire problem, I would, like quikduk, carry an unmounted tire in one of the pass through basement storage areas and have Coach-Net only mount and change the tire. I am willing to take the risk and expense so I do not carry an extra tire with me.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #4
pchicky

I have a SuperNova model 6400 and there is no room in the basement storage to put one of those big 22.5 tires, so I'm like T.C. in the prior posting....I'll just have to risk it and pay the price for a new tire if I ever have a flat.

In fact, can anybody out there fit a 22.5" tire in the basement storage of a Super C Motorhome? I can see doing that in a Class A, but not a Super C.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Texas TC

You are right. My bad. I went out and measured the basement area and the tire is too tall to go through the widest door on any basement compartment. I had always figured it would go but, after measuring, it is too tall.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #6
Georunner

Although I am not too concerned with adding weight to my rig (6331) a 22.5 inch tire without rim weighs about 120 lbs. Even if I could get it into a compartment, which I can't, I wonder if I would. Hauling that weight around would cost some fuel. I can't say how much, but I wonder how long it would take to break even with the extra fuel costs vs the extra charge for a tire from a mobile tire service. I would like to make the trip up the Alaska Highway in a couple of years, and although I would put on new tires at that time, not having a spare would bother me, but not much we can do about it that I know of.
Georunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
GregGarner

Default Re: Spare tire

I went out and bought a spare rim and mounted a spare tire on it. I measured behind the axle and in front of the hitch on my Endura Gladiator 6316, and I think there is enough room to mount the spare tire in this spot. I am thinking about buying a waterproof electric Viper ATV winch and mounting it on the frame and using this to winch the tire up into place. Then I plan on putting a 1.5" square tubing underneath the tire to bolt it into place (for safety). I would either weld or bolt two 1.5" square tubes onto the frame to bolt the cross bar to.

Does anyone see any problem with this plan?

I also plan on carrying a small air compressor, a 1" impact wrench, and a 20 ton air over hydraulic jack to allow me to jack everything up and to change the tire myself. I probably also need some kind of jack stand for safety, any suggestions on that? I have toyed with making a waterproof carrying case for all this stuff and putting it up over the driveline where there is some extra space.

But even if I didn't have the tools I still want a spare tire so that it doesn't cost and arm and a let if I get a flat.

I have also ordered a pressure pro tire pressure monitoring system, and that should help me avoid problems. Duane at Pressure Pro is very knowledgeable. I read a lot of good things about the pressure pro system from other RV owners which is what decided me to go this route.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
GregGarner

Default Re: Spare tire

I noticed that a spare tire is an option for the Super C motor home. If you get this option does Gulfstream put a spare tire mount on the bottom of the chassis? If they do, can someone post some pictures?
Old 04-05-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Nanaeve

Default Spare Tire

When we looked at buying our Endura/ International RV, The 2009 one " 5 weeks at the repair place"and only 7 weeks old because it leaks like a sieve,(But I'm not bitter, no I not) I noticed the option for a spare on the Kodak chassis, not for the International, with 19.5 wheels not 22.5. I too like the idea of a spare and believe the area in front of the hitch on the International would be a good place. My 2003 Dodge PU has oversized tires and has a hand-winch setup that I think would work for raising/ lowering the tire but I had the thought that a skateboard type setup would make the moving from under the coach and around the unit much eaiser. Maybe designing it into the brace for mounting it under the unit would be a way to go. with a removeable "T" handle to push/pull it along, now the engineer part of me is racing. I'm thinking a rear mount might work also, so many ideas, just wish I had my unit back from repair / GS to be able to use it and play
Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Nanaeve

Default Spare Tire

When we looked at buying our Endura/ International RV, The 2009 one " 5 weeks at the repair place"and only 7 weeks old because it leaks like a sieve,(But I'm not bitter, no I not) I noticed the option for a spare on the Kodak chassis, not for the International, with 19.5 wheels not 22.5. I too like the idea of a spare and believe the area in front of the hitch on the International would be a good place. My 2003 Dodge PU has oversized tires and has a hand-winch setup that I think would work for raising/ lowering the tire but I had the thought that a skateboard type setup would make the moving from under the coach and around the unit much eaiser. Maybe designing it into the brace for mounting it under the unit would be a way to go. with a removeable "T" handle to push/pull it along, now the engineer part of me is racing. I'm thinking a rear mount might work also, so many ideas, just wish I had my unit back from repair / GS to be able to use it and play
Old 04-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
robfogle

Send a message via MSN to robfogle

Our 2007 Endura (6340) came with a factory mounted spare tire. It is mounted underneath between the rear axle and the hitch. It has a manual crank assembly to raise and lower the tire. I haven't had the opportunity to do this as I have not had any need to remove the tire. I will try to get underneath and snap some pictures in the next day or so.

SE Wisconsin

2007 Gulf Stream Endura 6340
1998 Bryant 196 Limited
robfogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
GregGarner

Default Re: Spare

That would be great, I would love to see some pictures!

I wonder if this is something that was done by Gulfstream, or by international?

Do you have your ISIS report from international, it might show the part number for the spare tire mount?

Greg Garner
Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
Texas TC

The 2007 Endura is almost certainly on a Chevy Kodiak chassis with a 19.5" tire. I don't think any of the International chassis coaches were produced as a 2007 model year. I ordered mine in February of 2007 and it is classified as a 2008 by GS and International. I have not seen any spare tire carriers on the International chassis.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
robfogle

Send a message via MSN to robfogle

Yes you are correct it is on the C5500 Kodiak Chassis and yes it has the 19.5 inch tires. The construction and placement of the spare tire mount would be close to the same as it is attached to the frame behind the rear wheels. I believe it was added by GulfStream as there were several similar units on the lot when we purchased ours and it was the only one with a spare tire on the unit. If you still want images posted let me know.

SE Wisconsin

2007 Gulf Stream Endura 6340
1998 Bryant 196 Limited
robfogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
GregGarner

Default Re: Spare

Yes, I would like a picture if its not too much trouble. I am doing my own spare holder so any pictures would help me design mine. I can post pictures when I get mine installed to help future Super C owners that want a spare.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
reefmarker

These are from a 6341 on a Kodiak (200.

reefmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #17
GregGarner

Default Re: spare tire carrier

I have been running around for a couple of months now with the spare tire mounted behind the axle on my International Gulfstream Gladiator. So far I haven't needed it, but I like having it in case of a flat.

Details:

I took some 1.5" square tubing about 4' long and welded a flat plate to it. I mounted 4 casters to the flat plate. The casters let me slide the tire in and out (assuming I am on a flat surface). I also welded some locating pins on the tubing that make sure the rim is held in place while moving it around and raising and lowering it. I also mounted a large eyehook to the middle of the 4' piece of tubing.

I then welded 2 1.5" square tubes to the frame of the international chassis, and welded some 1/2" all thread to the bottom of these.

I then mounted a small waterproof ATV winch above the spare tire location, and I used the winch to raise and lower the tire. The winch wouldn't hold the tire tight to the frame, but it would raise it enough to engage the all thread rod which can then be tightened up to hold the tire securely to the frame. The winch is connected to the eyehook via a winch hook. I did have to weld the eyehook closed because the winch deformed the eyehook the first time I tried to raise it.

I haven't gotten around to wiring in the winch yet, I was just using jumper cables to run it for now.

I got the winch from Ebay for about $90, and I got them to give me a remote switch instead of a handlebar mounted type switch when I ordered the winch. I think the name of the winch was viper.

Greg Garner