Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
palmbaybob

Default Dual fuel tanks

Hi,
I have a 2008 Endura Super C (Conquest) with dual fuel tanks.
How do the tanks switch over? Since I see no obvious switch I must assume the changeover from tank to another is automatic. Guess bottom line is when I go to fill up the tanks, do I fill up one before the other or just fill up both until they are full. I know this sounds stupid but any help would be appreciated.

Palmbaybob

Should say they Endura is on International 4400 VT365 frame
palmbaybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
JimBob

Default Dual tanks

Bob- no stupid questions on this forum!
The tanks do fill automatically, from left to right. Fill right side (passenger side) tank first, its the "boss" tank. As you drive, you notice the fuel gauge go from full to about near half, then "magically" start filling back up to about 2/3 full again, then go back to empty.

My trusted co-driver, (the wife) and I sometimes have lively discussions regarding fuel tank capacities- when I know we're near the end of a trip I tend not to fill both tanks, since I don't want to carry 70 extra gallons of weight in the driver's side tank, plus I don't want the coach sitting with an extra 70 gallons of fuel. Wife never likes to get below a half tank for any reason... but that's another story.....

Keep posting questions, lots of us on the forum are here to help out and share what we know and try to find out what we don't!

Travel safely-

JimBobBoy
08 SuperNova
Greenwood SC leaving for Dallas Tx next week
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
palmbaybob

Thanks. Although we have had our 2008 Endura 36 ft Super C for over a year we will be taking it from Wisconsin down to the East Coast of Florida on the 14th of August. We just want to make sure we have all our ducks lined up before we take off on what I consider to be our first shake down cruise.
palmbaybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
JimBob

Default Fuel tanks

Super, enjoy your trip! Think you'll find that the consensus for most 365 owners is that the International part of the coach is pretty much flawless, and that it is a reliable power source. In 20,000 miles, all we've done is oil changes, with the exception of replacing a coolant hose, which has been addressed in another topic on the forum.

My pal Texas TC and others are lurking out here to give you the very latest in experiences, the good and the bad- enjoy your coach!

We'll be in Wisconsin area next summer and are looking forward to seeing your beautiful state.

Travel safely!

JimBob and Miss Bette and Buster
http://jimbobmissbetteandbuster.blogspot.com
JimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Texas TC

Unlike JimBob, my east coast pal, I fill my tanks when I return from a trip. I don't like to leave the tanks half empty for moisture to form. When you take your voyage, be sure to try both transmission modes. I tend to leave mine in economy all the time.

Generally, the Allison has two shifting maps. In regular mode, the shift points are at a higher rpm than the econ mode. You should try both and use the one you feel most comfortable with.

Watch your coolant hoses closely, they tend to rub on the frame of the International chassis and can cause a leak if not attended to.

If you have not added valve stem extenders to your inner dual wheels, I suggest you do so. I got mine from Camping World and have had them on for over a year with no issues from leaking. It makes it much easier to check the air pressure (the consensus is 100 lbs. in each tire although I am thinking of experimenting with lowering my rear pressure to 90).

We have over 28,000 miles on our coach and really enjoy it. I hope you have an uneventful and fun filled adventure.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
PieEye

Speaking of fuel tanks.....

I'm wondering if the fuel gauge can be "calibrated". I continually run it lower and lower trying to get a better handle on how far I can go on a full fuel load. My problem is that the gauge gets down to empty, the light and buzzer go on, then it refills per the above explination, and then eventually goes back down to empyt, light and buzzer on etc. My issue is, that I continue to run farther and farther pushing the limit while on empty, but whenever I fill it up I can't ever squeaze more than 110 gallons in it. Considering it carries 140 gallons of fuel, I'm not wild about the gauge reading empty when there is still 30+ gallons remaining in the tanks.

any ideas?
PieEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Texas TC

The pickup tubes are not on the bottom of the tanks to keep from picking up any trash in the lower portion of the tank. I always reset the trip odometer each fill up and make it a practice of not going over 700 miles before refueling. I did have a longer tube inserted during the warranty period in the drivers side tank because it was running out of fuel way too early. I cannot exactly remember the portion of the tank that is unusable but I seem to recall it is between 10 and 20 percent.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
pchicky

I just got back from a 3500+ mile trip in my SuperNova 6400 and found that the drivers side tank would always take about 3 times what the passenger tank did. I filled up every 400 miles if I was using the generator because it would run out of fuel, running on the drivers tank. It seems to me the engine was pulling from the drivers side until it dropped to a certain level, and then the passenger side tank starts going down. How does this work exactly? Dual fuel lines to two tanks or does the passenger tank start feeding the engine as the drivers tank hits a certain level?

Also, I pretty darned sure that the fuel gauge only registers for the passenger side tank. If the gauge said 1/2 tank, then I'd end up putting about 35 gallons in the passenger tank and about 60 in the drivers tank. This was very consistent the entire trip.

I believe I need to get the generator fuel line dropped lower in the tank...I didn't like to have to stop every 400 miles.
pchicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #9
mfa

Manufacturers typically put the generator fuel pickup at the quarter to third tank level so that use of the generator won't make you run out of fuel and leave you stranded out in the boonies somewhere. So in that regard, you change it at your own risk.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:09 PM   #10
Texas TC

The passenger tank is the one with the fuel gauge and it is the predominant tank. Fuel is pumped from the drivers side at predetermined fuel levels into the passenger tank and will keep the tanks fairly balanced over many miles. Using the generator and pulling fuel from your drivers side tank along with fueling at 400 miles left your with an unbalanced situation. Driving 600-700 miles, my tanks have almost always held the same amount of fuel when re-filling.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
pchicky

Thanks T.C......if I didn't refuel at 400 miles, the generator would run out of fuel and cut off, that is why I had to refuel so often.

Would having the pickup tube for the generator lowered further into the drivers tank stop this from happening, meaning the generator will continue to operate and I can run the whole rig 700+ miles?
Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
PieEye

My genny pickup must be lower because mine won't shut down till long after the fuel gauge goes on empty and the light and buzzer sound. I can consisnanly run 700 miles with out it shutting down, but would love to be able to use the remaing 30 gallons of fuel in the tanks and squeeze out another 200 miles or so.
PieEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 PM   #13
pchicky

What is the mechanism by which the fuel is transferred from one tank to the other? Is it an electric pump? Gravity?

I'm beginning to wonder if mine is transferring fuel properly between the two tanks. By the sound of you two guys, the fuel seems to stay balanced between your tanks much better than mine. Is there a trick to this?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM   #14
Texas TC

I was told by my International dealer that in the "old days", there was simply a crossover tube and gravity would keep the tanks equal much like an old Softail Harley with twin tanks. Now, there appears to be a pump that is activated by sensors. Paul, I think I would have two things done by your International dealer. 1. Have them check the length of your pickup tubes (one of mine was short and it was on the drivers side and was replaced by under warranty) and 2., have them check the sensors in your passenger side tank. They asked me if mine equalized on one visit to the shop so I suspect they can check the sensors and repair as necessary.

Good luck!

TC

Old 09-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #15
pchicky

A quick update on the earlier message I posted regarding the dramatically different fuel levels between my tanks. I took it to Carolina International and the found that my transfer pump was barely working. They replaced it under warranty, which should solve the problem.

Two weekends ago, I was at an road course track and there was a gentlemen there with a 6400 SuperNova identical to mine, but an '08 model vs. my '09. He had issues with fuel crossover and they found that his transfer pump was wired wrong from the factory. Once that was straightened out, problem solved.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
allthelarsons

I have a couple of questions?

Has anyone added a sending unit and guage to the drivers side tank, I would like a true reading, instead of a guess? It appears that there is a spot right next to the factory guage in the guage pod.

The flipping generator shutting off after 300 miles is driving me crazy. Has anyone tried to move the pickup to the passenger side? I would like to have it pick up from the passenger side, maybe down to 1/3 tank. Would still have enough fuel to get to the service station. Part of why we went with the 6400 is because we dry camp alot. Our typical trip is 200 miles. We live 30 minutes from the gas station, which is in the opposite direction of our favorite camp spot. I was hoping to get 4 or 5 trips between fill ups. The rig is a little big for our little rural roads to go 30 miles to and from town for fuel every trip.

Comments/Thought appreciated.
allthelarsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:49 PM   #17
pchicky

I had the exact same problem with my 6400. The fuel transfer pump from the passenger side to the drivers side tank was not operating (barely pumping) and the drivers tank would run down quickly and the generator would cutoff, just like you're experiencing.

My local International dealer replaced the pump under warranty and the problem was solved. I used my motorhome this weekend and when I went to fill the tanks, they were only 2 gallons difference between the two....before it would be 30+ gallons difference!

Take it to your International dealer and tell them to check the pump...I'd bet that is your problem.