Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Gulf Stream | Tech > A/V Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-17-2023, 12:08 PM   #1
packlet

Default Winegard Trav'ler dish dead?

Hi All,

Re-hab'ing a 1997 GS SunSport 8325LES. The Winegard Trav'ler dish controller box powers up, automatically goes into "Calibrate EL in Progress...", but then reports "EL Motor Home Failure". (see attached/linked pic) Does the signal cable need to be connected for this to move the dish about? The 6 wire 'control' cable is connected, but the end of the coax signal cable has been stripped off, thus not connected. I'd re-attach it if it'll help, but don't want to put too much work into it if the whole thing is dead and needs to be removed entirely...

No satellite does not make the whole MH a failure. imo..

TIA, Paul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53336938472_18cf35e121_k.jpg (107.2 KB, 5 views)
packlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 12:30 PM   #2
packlet

to clarify, I'm wondering if one must apply power (with the injector thingee) to the COAX cable for the control unit to be able to move the dish around at all? Or should the 6-pin control cable alone be adequate for that?

I guess I'll try applying (12v?) power directly to the pins on the connector up on the roof to see if the roof-top unit shows any signs of life. Anyone happen to have the pin-out for this connection? ie, which color wire on the 6-pin cable does what?

TIA, Paul.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:03 AM   #3
Dennis4809

All controls are done via the control wires. Do not need the coax connected. Does the antenna move at all? We had an issue a few years ago that caused an error of some sort. Finally reached a tech at Winegard that talked me though the alignment process. Has worked fine ever since. Put ours on in 2011 so going on 13 years.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:48 AM   #4
packlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis4809 View Post
All controls are done via the control wires. Do not need the coax connected.

thanx for that. i have performed the 'calibration' process documented around here and elsewhere, but no movement or sound (attempted movement) from the roof top unit. visual inspection of the wiring all looks OK. Have found the 'ground' wire (green), but reluctant to apply power directly across any of the others for fear of damaging something that's not supposed to have power applied. Perhaps Winegard support can help with further troubleshooting info. will try.

Tags
winegard trav'ler dish