Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Dennis1554

Default Which air filter do I need?

I have a 2006 Friendship G7 8387 with Cat C7. I need to change the air filter but can’t find a part number. The filter has a paper label, but absolutely no lettering left on it. I have checked the can for any stamped numbers, but have found none. Where can I go to get that part number? I have tried several searches with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis1554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #2
Sudsy

Default Take it out

Take the filter out and it will have numbers on it. Go to a NAPA store or someplace like that and they can match it up. Maybe consider a K&M filter. They can be cleaned and reused.

Sudsy
Old 03-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #3
Dennis1554

Thanks, Sudsy! Couldn’t find numbers on the filter, so I called GS and was told I could call Freightliner and get the number. I now have a number and am trying to find a filter near me. I didn’t know you could change to a filter with a replaceable cartridge. Where would you get a can to put it in? Never thought I would have a vehicle where changing the air filter would be so difficult!

Dennis
Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #4
Sudsy

Default They are the same shape

If you have number now check out

https://www.knfilters.com/default.aspx

and see if your number crosses over. If so they are form,fit and function filters. (they look just like the original filter as far as shape goes. You buy a cleaning kit and every 5000 miles or so you wash the filter with water and a special soap and let it dry in the sun. Then coat it with a spray on oil from K&N. I have the on all of my vehicles.

Sudsy
Old 03-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #5
RayChez1

K&N are good for gasoline engines, but I would not put one on a diesel. Mine originally come with a Farr air filter, didn't like it, not enough air for the turbo. So next I went to Napa and bought a Wix and the same problem, not enough air for the turbo. So after a lot of research I decided to try a Racor through the internet and wow what a difference in power and the vacuum gauge acted the way it is suppose to. Before with the other air filters the vacuum gauge would go up even with the new filters, so I knew the turbo was not getting enough air. I have the 3126-E Cat engine with is basically the same as the newer C-7 but with less emission controls on it.

Measure the ducts on the air filter coming out. One connects to the air coming in and one past the filter to the turbo. Then just match with what is shown on the website of Racor in the internet. I believe I paid around $120.00
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:57 PM   #6
BSAman

Just purchased a WIX 46748 for my 2005 CAT C7......if it had a straight inlet and a 90 degree inlet that's the number......
If it has inlets on each end it 's a WIX 46755....

I paid $150 for it locally but may be cheaper on internet....

I've not experienced the lack of flow problem that RayChez1 has but time will tell....
1979 Harley Davidson FLH
BSAman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:46 PM   #7
Dennis1554

I called GS and was told I needed to call Frieghtliner since the air filter would have been installed by them. So, I did call them and got a Frieghtliner part number. That allowed me to cross reference other filters. Ended up finding a Baldwin filter locally. Made the swap and got much better engine performance. Also reset the vacuum gauge and it shows filter is good. Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the help!
Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis1554 View Post
I called GS and was told I needed to call Frieghtliner since the air filter would have been installed by them. So, I did call them and got a Frieghtliner part number. That allowed me to cross reference other filters. Ended up finding a Baldwin filter locally. Made the swap and got much better engine performance. Also reset the vacuum gauge and it shows filter is good. Thanks for the responses! I appreciate the help!
Dennis,
How apart posting the part numbers for others who may need them?
Thanks
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote