Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Thumper2811

Default Trip to Canada

Hi all,
I'm planning a trip to Niagra Fall this summer. Has anyone gone to the Canada side. We hear it is alot better and want to go but I'm worried about customs and them ripping through my trailer. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks, Dave
Old 04-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Wildblue

Default Re: Trip to Canada

I've driven across the border several times at Niagara Falls. No problem at all, but it was just in a car, not RV. Popular spot to cross, so it should be very mainstream with standard questions. i don't think I ever got more questions than the standard "do you have anything to declare?"

If you observe the standard practices for crossing into Canada (have you looked at their website?) you should be fine.

YES, I do recommend the Canadian side. Totally different perspective (I prefer the Canadian view) plus there's some great country driving scenery if you drive along the river to the east.

37' 2008 GS Conquest Endura 6362 Class "C+", International Chassis w/diesel VT365
Wildblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
03heritagerider

Never took the rig into Canada, but have been back and forth many times in the car and on the bikes. With only two exceptions, it has always been just a few questions and you're on your way. In the Buffalo/Niagra area, at either the Peace Bridge or Rainbow Bridge, we have never been asked more than the standard questions. "what's your reason for traveling?" "How long are you staying?" "Are you carrying any firearms?"

Once on the way into Canada at Thousand Islands Bridge, our group of 6 was selected to go inside the border office and answer more questions and have our ID's checked. And once on the way back into the U.S. at Seaway Internatioal Bridge, my wife and I had our vehicles searched. Both instances happened while on the Harleys .

I've always felt we were given a much closer look when traveling into the U.S. than out.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
vansteenburg

Taken the rig into Canada with no problems. When we entered in Detroit, just the normal questions of when last in, how long, any weapons, food. Even returning to the US, just the normal questions, including the food question. We just made sure the fruit/vegies were gone, gerenally that and alcohol are the ones they both get strict over.

Just make sure you go to the Canadian Customs web site and get the information on what foods and quantity are acceptable. I've heard from others, that if you just have a very little bit of your normal food, you'll be fine. Both customs get picky on what foods can come into the respective countries depending on the season, so you do need to check the customs sites a week or so ahead. Be ready to answer their questions on what food items you have. If you take a pet, just make sure you have current vet records with you and what foods you have.

Either way, have a fun trip.
vansteenburg is offline   Reply With Quote