Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
nwcanopies

Default What should I expect and what do you recommend? New owner

Hi, New Gulf Stream Super C owner here. Picked up a 2010 SuperMax 36' Class C.

Was watching and going to buy the one on ebay down in Kentuky and decided to research the coach a little more. (I didn't know about this site, wish I did).

Decided to visit the website and call GulfStream and learn about this unique coach.

Things I loved about the brochure.
1. It was diesel
2. It boasted up to 16mpg
3. It had bunks (I have 4 Kids) Perfect!
4. It was a 2009 Model, but being sold as new
5. It was set up to tow 10,000lbs

The one In Kentuky had about 1500 miles on it IIRC. Bought the plane ticket and then decided to call GulfStream and talk to them about the coach.

Steve - Says that there are only about 20 of them out there and they no longer make them. I couldn't get a definite answer out of him why they stopped, but he said due to the market (which is believable).

Steve - Says I have one of these down In Salt Lake City and its actually a 2010 that I can sell you. He named the price and it was $5,000 more than the 2009 Model so its really a no brainer.

We were told the coach was new and that it only needed an awning replaced and the rear molding looked creased slightly so it would need to be replaced as well.

I loaded up my family of 5 (at the time) and we drove Seattle to SLC in 14 hours on Friday night. (4pm to 6am)

We wait another 3 hours till the dealer opens.

We see the coach and right away notice a c clamp on one of the panels. They glued the sheet metal back to the frame the night before. Ok, not a show stopper but what else is there?

2. Noticed that there are scrapes on the plastic windows (like it was drivin off road)... rest of coach washed and clean, no pinstripse
3. Noticed a crack in the ac vent up top
4. No battery disconnect. It is MIA
5. The awning being off was expected... it covers the rear bunks and bedroom slide
6. When opening the slide, there is a rip in the Linoleum where it slides
7. Some of the shades were off their tracks for the windows
8. The backup camera was not working
9. The carpets were stained/dirty in some areas
10. Table was chiped

Steve needed to go through a dealer to sell the coach to me. It was a buy back from a dealership in SLC that went belly up so they were just a Place to buy. In reality I purchased this coach straight from gulfstream.

The Dealer and I went over the coach and wrote everything that needed address and we got Shane on the phone.

He agreed to
A. Patch the Linoleum
B. Fix awning
C. Fix backup camera
D. Fix siding strip
E. Put the Battery disconnect in
F. Put Shades back on their tracks
G. Replace table

So we purchase the coach and a 70,000 mile warranty against defects in mechanical etc through a company called "The Choice" Just in case.

300 Miles later that weekend, we are loving the coach, how it drives, and just driving a cummins/Aisin. (I could only get 11mpg at 60mph steady) Nothing better or even close to 16 as the brochure stated.

Insert Northwestern downpoar. Drip, drip, drip through the passengar visor then a stream. I video it with my phone. Dissapointment. I checked the caulking when I got home, they missed the drivers side under the loft. I hope mold doesn't grow in there.

When I get back to Seattle (that same weekend) I call and email Steve. He said he would take care of that.

__________________________________________________ __

Fast forward, now its been a Month. I sourced a Local RV Service place who really doesn't want my business... or so I feel treated this way. I get the line that "he makes nothing on this". "He is just helping me and gulfstream out". Is this normal? Do RV places not want repeat business from providing good service?

He works With Gulfstream and no one is comunicating with me. Gulfstream only sends 2 parts. The table is chipped and I have yet to confirm with gulfstream, but my service stated that gulfstream said thats the last one... so make it work. ???? really???? Today I put an email into Gulstream likely after hours and left a voicemail as well. I'm hoping to hear from Steve tomorrow and hope he makes that right.

So far I'm not impressed. When buying new shouldn't you get something that is new? Not with may different issues. And shouldn't GS take care of their customers? I bend over backwards for my customers and they keep coming back for my products. Seems like a business model that does very well for me. But I guess I shouldn't expect the same from GS.

Don't get me wrong, they are replacing or fixing most of the things that were broke. Not all but most. For that I'm happy (if it actually gets done). But it was all talk and no backbone if you ask me. After I purchased the coach, I've only been treated like they are doing me a favor by sellin the coach AND fixing this stuff that should be new. That its not their duty or obligation.

I think the coach was misrepresented. It was sold to me as new with 1700 miles on it but seems it was used and abused by perhaps the dealer that went under? I drove 800 miles with 3 kids under 6 to purchase what I think was misrepresented.

Don't get me wrong. I'm trying not to rant and keep it unemotional. I could have backed out when I got there leaving that dealer in a bind, but I lived up to my end of the deal and purchased this coach. I guess I'm just curious from your experiences "if GS will live up to their end of the deal"?

To be continued......

__________________________________________________ ____

Fast forward - We really like the coach, really like how GS took care of us and only hype them up as a good manufacturer

or...

Hopefully not or...
nwcanopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Midniteoyl

Should ALWAYS have problems fixed or put in writing that they will be fixed before purchase..

Shame.. saw your pics on another site.. beautiful RV..

'89 Sun Vista Hi-Rise
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
nwcanopies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Should ALWAYS have problems fixed or put in writing that they will be fixed before purchase..

Shame.. saw your pics on another site.. beautiful RV..
Thanks, we will see how it goes, 2 days no reply from GS
Old 12-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Have you tried calling GS by phone?

The reason I am asking is they might be shut down for the holidays until after the first of the year. BUT many times they are very slowwww to respond if at all.

Sorry for that news but I have been a Gulf Stream owner for almost 9 years with two motorhomes and had a few problems with them that did take some time.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
nwcanopies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Have you tried calling GS by phone?

The reason I am asking is they might be shut down for the holidays until after the first of the year. BUT many times they are very slowwww to respond if at all.

Sorry for that news but I have been a Gulf Stream owner for almost 9 years with two motorhomes and had a few problems with them that did take some time.

Ron
I think you might be right. They are thin and lean at the least for sure per my service guy here in Seattle.

So here is an update, dropped the coach off Tuesday.

1. Backup camera - fixed - was a fuse
2. Jacks not working - fixed - was a fuse
3. Service still doesn't have trim part to install before they replace the awning
4. My service guy is turning out to be great... grumpy like me but great!
5. He said pick out a linolium - going tomorrow to pick out something close, said GS is going to replace it. Which they should, but told me they wouldn't. Good on them!
6. Service said it will be after christmas before I see my rig again. It took me calling them to get this, but they have at least set my expectations. I hate to have it out in the open and not under one of my canopies, but its only a couple weeks.

So far I am happy with what service is doing, but GS still seems to be dropping the ball on some of the parts needed. At any rate, my happy guage is up from a 2 to a 5. Thats a 150% improovement. I hope that it reaches a 10... and we are definitely on the right track now for that to happen.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #6
nwcanopies

Its been 2 weeks since I dropped it off - Not really worried and understand it is the christmas hollidays and many won't be working.

Things that still need to be completed
1. Slide trim piece
2. New awning installed
3. Rear Trim installed and painted
4. Table reworked and installed

5. Vynal purchased and installed and quarter round installed????? Thats not cool, but I'm sure needed because when they build these they put the cabinets on top.

It will likely be another week before contact with GS happens, GS sent the wrong part again for the Slide trim piece.

Hope to have the coach back by March!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
bcooper

Default Gulf Stream Customer Service

You are correct - Gulf Stream and most midwest manufacturers close for the holidays! With the snow blowing and temps below zero it is very hard to move units at that time. We are all back to work and catching up to answer any questions.

You may call 800-289-8787 ext. 3005 for motorized or 800-289-8787 ext 5101 for towables. A list of service representatives is posted on the Gulf Streamers website at http://streamers.gulfstreamcoach.com, along with other updates on happenings for the club.

I have reviewed the posts with customer service and they are telling me that even as they help this customer he is posting comments. There are special circumstances to his purchase and Gulf Stream is helping with those requests. This is a beautiful unit at a great price!

Bonnie
bcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #8
bcooper

Default Gulf Streamers Website

Website address is http://streamers.gulfstreamcoach.com for information on the club.

The Gulf Stream websites (both motorized and towables) are being updated by an outside source. The towables will be posted soon so keep checking in. Contact Mindy Brooks at [email protected] for more info on the websites and to offer your input.
bcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
nwcanopies

Update: Today I called GS, left voicemails on 3 different numbers. No response until 1. Cindy, the regional rep called me and said they will take care of me. She said she was going to send the vynal molding and the parts needed... so maybe 2 more days.

She was very pleasant on the phone, and I don't know if its the backstory. But it seems that GS is willing to make all the defects right with is GREAT Customer Service.

My Satisfaction rating is now a 6 of 10. Once I get my coack back in New order I'm sure it will Jump.

Now that aside, if anyone is in the Seattle Area. You should definitely use EvergreenRVsupply.com. Jeff is grumpy, but he is the absolute best person to deal with. Straight up. He owns the RV shop and has definitely treated me with utmost care. His ways are different, but get over it. In the end he takes care of his customers. In the begining I though It was a mistake, but he definitely has a lifetime customer. When I need something fixed and I'm in Miami, I will likely wait till I get back to seattle before I fix it.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:46 PM   #10
nwcanopies

Update. 3 days away from a month being in the shop.

Now just waiting on a patch from a vynal guy as soon as he returns the phone calls.

Really looking forward to having my coach back and having all the things fixed. Can't wait to use what I'm paying for! And its going to really get used. Hopefully 30,000 miles in the next 2 years.

Hopefully next week.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
nwcanopies

Month and a half in the shop. Things are coming along but slower than expected. Service guy is waiting for larger rollers for the slide as the ones put in there were inadequate for the weight of the slide. He also had to tear into the slide to use sufficiant size wireing so that slide has been rewired as well.

Really hope to get the coach back home this week. I've forgotten what it looks like.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
nwcanopies

Default Re: What should I expect and what do you recommend? New owne

After over 2 months, got the coach back. Slides are still screwy... but better. Hindsight is 2020 right? Learn from others mistakes right?

I've spent over $200 in diesel alone taking it in for fixes. Gulfstream took care of these issues but it took forever and only because I bought directly from a sales person at gulfstream.

It leaks like a siv people. I have two dehumidifiers in it to keep water out of the walls. 3015 miles so far... Good luck to those that buy one. Unless I'm totally alone and have a true lemon. Which could be possible, but what will Gulfstream do about it? meh.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:31 PM   #13
nwcanopies

All the prior issues were before Using it. I have used it now for 10 days in a row. I have some more issues. I called Gulfstream today 2 times and 2 times they called me back. My phone isn't ringing for some reason out here in Pender NE.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #14
nwcanopies

Gulfstream was very PRO ACTIVE. Our slide cable broke after our first 1900 miles of use. 2 weeks. They sent me a new one... we are in po dunk so I had to fix it myself, couldn't get the slide in. They overnighted it. Very happy with this. Awesome customer service. We are still chatting about a few other issue and might drive the coach to their factory to have them see for themselves.

Thanks Gulfstream
Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
Midniteoyl

Thanks for the updates nw.. Glad to hear that you finally got back on the road to actually enjoy it.

'89 Sun Vista Hi-Rise
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
nwcanopies

I'm a stones throw from Gulfstream now in Naperneeeee, IN. They put us up in a Nice Amish Inn while they sort out a few of the Major issues with our coach. Its hard being cooped up in a 2 bed room with 4 kids. Thats not related though.

We gave gulfstream a list of things that haven't ever worked or have broken since we started using the coach 3200 miles ago (1 month ago) and they are taking care of every single one of them.

Right now, my perception of gulfstream is really turning around. I won't go into details, but Steve Tobias over there is a good guy. Steve if you get this, thanks for taking care of the issues.

Right now, a few of the major issues are getting worked over, when we get to Conneticut, GS is arranging to have the rest remedied.

It was nice that Steve came out to Dave's at www.rvoneinc.com in Elkhart with his main assembly man to look the coach over.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #17
Midniteoyl

Sounds good... Make sure you mind the heat! I decided to start some roof work on the RV this week... um, no go

'89 Sun Vista Hi-Rise
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #18
Timothy

I was at the factory last week, got a nice tour from Jim Schmucker and while I was there Johns Smith had them fix a few minor problems with my coach, they even found a few I didn't know about and took care of them. I was impressed while watching some trailers being built on the Canyon Trail line, the workers were taking their time and doing a good job .
I was also able to tour one of the new Ridgelines while I was there, very nice and huge storage. We are definatley considering one of these in our future.