Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
lockdoc

Default Do you Lube Your slide rails?

I searched for this subject but couldn't find what I was after so thought I'd just start another thread!

For those of you with electric slides, do you lube your slide rails? If so, with what? What have you found that works well and what have you found you would never use again?

I have a fairly dry spray that has some graphite suspended in it and I was thinking of trying that. Also have a quick dry spray that is a Teflon base. I figure that it would be good to reduce friction by lubing the rails, but want to know from those of you who do what you are finding sucess with.

For locks I tell my customers never to use certain products like WD-40 as it is NOT a good lubricant and attracts a lot of junk to it. I use WD-40 to break rusty stuff loose and as a parts cleaner but not as a final lubricant. I am sure that there are similar issues with lubing the slide rails so I ask you for your input.

Thanks in advance!
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Timothy

Hi Kevin, I just use a dry lubricant on the pivot points of the rails, I do not put lubricant on the geared sections, I was told not to by my dealer. You may want to give the teflon spray a try, I would avoid the graphite just because most graphite sprays that I have used are pretty messy, and if your like me your sure to touch the lubed area and leave fingerprints or handprints all over the place
Old 06-05-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
lockdoc

Thanks for the reply Tim. My dealer isn't returning my email questions so I am guessing they are mad that I did my own service last summer?!? I am not sure if they remain a GS dealer or not, but thought I would throw the question out to the GS forum membership to see what everyone else has done.

It would seem to reason that a light lithium or dry teflon spray would help the gears to mesh with less friction. I understand that you wouldn't want anything there that would collect dirt or dust.....but at the same time a dry lube might be good preventative maintenance. Maybe I'll email GS service and see what they say before I do anything.

Thanks again......it is good to have some activity on our forum!

Kevin
Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Arthur Hayes

The Tour Master that I have uses Power Gear slides. If that is what you have then you should go to www.powergearus.com. They provide lubrication suggestions and you can down load information.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
Coolbreeze

My favorite would be silicone spray. It lubricates really well and doesn't leave a lot of oily stuff to catch dirt. I second the part about watching what you put on gears. I never have seem mine but if they are nylon then at all costs stay away from petroleum based lubes for those.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Timothy

Ok here's the response I got from John Bruhn at Gulf Stream when I asked the question abouting lubing slide rails.

"If you lube the rails you risk getting lube on the carpet. I recommend keeping the rails clean, check for rust & remove (usually people camping near the ocean) if you lube, the road dirt and grime will attach to the rails causing additional problems. The key is to have the room adjusted from time to time so it runs in/out smoothly."

The only thing I'm not seeing is getting lube on the carpet, as the rails are outside of the coach and underneath.

Tim
Old 06-10-2007, 04:09 AM   #7
lockdoc

Thanks for all the responses!

I am a bit perplexed with the response about getting the lube on the carpet too....but I will see how it goes with my slides and decide if I should use a dry teflon spray or not at some point. It seems to reason that if you reduce your friction that everything will last longer.....but the slide mfg and GS do not seem to agree with that.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
LeonTrevino

It will stain your carpet if you put wet lube on the slide rails. Trust me, I learned the hard way on may last one (Jayco 5th wheel). I don't know how it happens, but it does. I had two black marks on the carpet where the rails run in and out.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
LeonTrevino

It will stain your carpet if you put wet lube on the slide rails. Trust me, I learned the hard way on may last one (Jayco 5th wheel). When you slide the room in, the rails run on top of the carpet and they will leave black marks on the carpet from the lube, dirt, road grime, etc.