Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #1
Rimfire 7

Default Switched thermo to digital, AC fan will not turn on

Hello,
I thought I would try my luck with this forum has I am having difficulty figuring out what to do. I want to switch out the old analog thermostats to digital ones. I have read on irv2 forum of people doing this. When I did it, the furnace fired up and ran. The AC just clicked like it got the signal but never kicked on. I put the old thermostat back on and the ac just clicks. There are 2 AC units on the roof with 2 thermostats. We used the AC once before - just bought the coach last month - and it already had an issue. The AC and the heat would turn on oK but when it reached the set temp the cool/heat would shut off and not come back on again and the fan would continue to run. What should I check to try and figure out these problems?

I watched a youtube video about the thermostat wiring.

I am a first time RV owner and have a basic - very basic mechanical understanding. But I can figure things out with the help Thank you for your suggestions.
Rimfire 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
Sudsy

Default I had Success here

More info here.

http://rvroadtrip.us/library/digital_thermostat.php

And here.

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat

These are just some of the links you will find if you search the internet for "Converting camper thermostats to digital.

Also for future reference you should tell us what kind of camper you have, year, make and model. And in this case what kind of original thermostats

do you have.

I added a switch on the side for the fan Hi/lo.

Using the very basic Digital Thermostat keeps things simple.

Sudsy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coachmods (1).jpg (111.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Coachmods (3).jpg (137.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #3
Restorium

One thing I can add that might help is when I switch the ac on and off and on sometimes it takes a minute or two for it to come back on. So wait a minute and it might come on.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
One thing I can add that might help is when I switch the ac on and off and on sometimes it takes a minute or two for it to come back on. So wait a minute and it might come on.

I agree. I forgot that little part. There is a circuit to protect the compressor from rapid restarts. Like a power failure can cause. It caught me by surprise too.

Sudsy
Old 04-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Frutza

0411191050.jpg
0411191050.jpg
There may be no picture? I dont see it?
So I'll describe it
The green wire goes to Rc then jumper Rc to Th
Yellow to yellow
White to white
Brown wire goes to G, G then ties into my 2 speed fan switch that switch also ties into the blue wire
Now, do you have a volt meter? Should be an essential tool to add to your new Rv.
On your thermostat wires 1 will have 12volts, use your volt meter to find it, there is no ground in these wires, my propane defector is right below the stats so I used that ground.
Once you find the 12 volt wire you can touch it to other wires find what wire goes to what, except the compressor, this may not come on till fans are on and as been said has a timer
Old 04-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Frutza

Oh look !pictures
Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
a2bill

Be sure you got the correct digital thermostat. There are a wide variety of units that look identical. When I updated the ones in my 5th wheel, I sent a photo of the old unit to the manufacturer and gave them the info on the camper and the system and they gave me the correct part numbers to order. I realize you probably have the correct unit however, I thought I would mention this possibility.
a2bill is offline   Reply With Quote