Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #1
TrishS

Default Connecting Dish Tailgater Using Existing cable-in hookup

Hello, I've been trying to figure this out for awhile. We have a Dish Tailgater that works great in the MH when connected directly to the satellite receiver. Problem is this means we have to run the coax thru a window. Connecting the coax to the existing cable-in on the outside of the MH doesn't work. Is there a way to utilize the existing cable-in outlet so that the signal gets to the receiver? Everything I've tried doesn't work. Thanks
TrishS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #2
Chuck v

Default Re: Connecting Dish Tailgater Using Existing cable-in hookup

Trish,

Most coaches have a switched/amplified connection from the roof-top off air antenna with the "shore cable" connection. Look for a similar arrangement for the satellite antenna wiring if you have a pre-wired rooftop satellite location.

On my 2007 Tour Master, there are two F-style coax connectors on a plate just under the Winegard control panel -- one marked "roof top sat" and the other marked "tri-pod sat" only one gets the coax connected to the receiver at a time...

What model and year motor home do you have??

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
TrishS

Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. We have a 2005 BT Cruiser 5230 model with no rooftop satellite location; hence, the reason we bought the tailgater (and also because we have Dish at home and can take the receiver with us). I do not see anything indicating a "SAT" hookup anywhere in the TV cabinet. All we have is an "A/B" box with 2 cables coming into it - one cable is marked "TV" and one cable is marked "cable". I've tried all types of connection combinations and nothing works so we've been running the satellite coax directly to the receiver which is OK but it sure would be nice not to have to run it through the window

Another thing is when we run it through the window and through the front door of the TV cabinet the door will not shut and it just looks plain tacky to have that door hanging open!

Thanks for your help! I love tinkering and trying to solve problems but this one has got me bugged!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #4
TrishS

Is there anyone who can help me with this? We're leaving on a trip tomorrow and it would really be nice to figure this out before we go. Thanks to everyone!