Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser

Can anybody tell me why Gulfstream dropped the Scenic Cruiser for the TourMaster? Could it be that Scenic Cruiser had out priced itself at 300k and Gulfstream wanted to manufacturer another luxury coach, but for less money. I was sure disappointed when they dropped the Scenic Cruiser since we have had such good luck with ours. I would have bought another one in a heart beat.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Just guessing, but I would say it was production capacity and sales market. I imagine there is a bigger market for the TourMaster in it's price range than the Scenic Cruiser at it's higher price and also although they have increased the Plant 58 capacity in the last couple of years where the Class A gas and diesel motorhomes are built, they were still running flat out when we were there in June.

You never know, they might bring it back in a year or two, just like they did the Yellowstone Diesel Pusher.

If you remember The TourMaster used to be made, then it stopped when GS had an issue with Spartan Chassis. Now it is being made again, although it is not the same as the original.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #3
djqualls

I wonder how many class a vehicles they produce each model year, Then by model?

I'm also curious as to how many Tour Masters they made for the 2006 model year.

I'm guessing that they roll out less than 150 total class A vehicles each model year but I'm just guessing.

Dave........
Old 08-30-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser

I believe that you are right. The TourMaster used to be the top of the Gulfstream luxury coaches. Then they dropped them for a few years and made the Scenic Cruiser the top of the line. Now I believe that the top of the line coach they manufacturer is the Friendship G8. I didn't know that they were manufacturing the Yellowstone anymore, but I did see one at Thousand Trails in Las Vegas. It sure is a nice looking coach. They might keep the Scenic Cruiser out for a few years, then they might bring it back. The last year they manufactured it was in 2005, and they were 42' long. But they had sky rocketed in price to 300k. Mine is only 38', but I only paid 212k. I think Gulfstream decided to sell less expensive coaches. The demand for the 300k plus coaches was not selling as good as the 150-200k class. Then there was also the introduction of the FRED. Scenic Cruiser might not have sold too many, but man it sure is a good coach.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,
I can't remember the exact figures, they told us when we went on one of the tours of Plant 58. But the figure was much higher than 150 Class A a year. That would be less than 3 a week. I will see if I can email a friend at Gulf Stream and find out.

Plant 58 is a large plant, 150 @ year would not begin to cover the operational expenses for the plant in my opinion.

Ron
Old 09-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
RV Wizard

Gulf Stream has been known to stop production of the higher end units and then redesign and bring them back out a few years later. I was told when I enquired about the Scenic Cruiser (was there last Dec.) that they were redesigning it and it would be coming back out as a high end unit once again. I suspect it to be a nother year before this happens.
iRV2.com -Gulf Stream Owners Forum Leader
2000 Scenic Cruiser
99 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4 Toad
2006 Saturn Vue AWD Toad
NASCAR #3 & #8
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls

I'm guessing that they roll out less than 150 total class A vehicles each model year but I'm just guessing.

Dave........

I received a reply to an email I sent to GSC friend of mine.

Class A production at Plant 58 average 1200 to 1350 @ year. The planned production this year is 1250. This includes all Class A production including Tourmaster and Friendship.

Ron
Old 09-05-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream

I have not toured plant 58, but I used to have a good friend that was the general manager in the service department. He told me that it took approx. 28 days to complete a Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser. I don't know how many assembly lines they have going all at once, but that is what Robert Bertinelli told me. Unfortunately he does not work there anymore and I miss him, but he moved on to work for another company. The Scenic Cruiser was manufactured in Nappanee, Ind. Where is plant 58?????????
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #9
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Gulfstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
The Scenic Cruiser was manufactured in Nappanee, Ind. Where is plant 58?????????
Plant 58 is in Nappanee, it is the only Class A manufacturing plant that GSC has. The towables plants are also located in Nappanee and so is the Fairmont Homes manufactured homes plant. The Class C plant used to be in Goshen, but I believe it was moved, I am not sure where.

The 28 days for some of the class A coaches sounds about right, from start of the process, frame work installation, to the complete end including the painting.

We have toured the plant on four different occasions, found it interesting and something different each time. We especially enjoyed the lamination, where the sidewalls are made, operation very interesting. But this is usually not part of the regular daily tour. It was part of the Streamers tour last year.

The cabinet shop is also very interesting. The state of the art paint shop that is owned by Gulf Stream, but operated/leased by Mike's Custom Painting, is also located by the Class A plant.

Ron
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
RayChez1

Default Gulfstream

We were headed to Nappanee, Ind. two years ago to take a tour of the facilities. We got as far as Batesville, Indiana and I called Gulfstream to see if we could go on a tour. They told me that it would have been great to have us there, but that they were closed for two weeks. So we just kept on going west from there and never made the tour.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

Ray,

That was too bad the plant was shut down. Like I said it is interesting. I forgot to mention that they have a 13 site area that has electric and water hookups that owners can use. A dump station is locted across the street up about 1/2 a block. I know some GS owners use it when in the area. We used it for 9 days when they were doing factory repairs and some accessory installs when we had our first GS coach.
Some use it when going to Elkhart and the big flea market, Shipsawana. It used to be if you were an owner of a Gulf Stream product, you could use one of the sites. But I haven't checked if the policy changed or not.

If you are ever that way again, hopefully it will be operating and you will get the plant tour.

Ron
Old 09-05-2006, 11:47 PM   #12
djqualls

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls

Dave........

I received a reply to an email I sent to GSC friend of mine.

Class A production at Plant 58 average 1200 to 1350 @ year. The planned production this year is 1250. This includes all Class A production including Tourmaster and Friendship.

Ron
--------------

Thanks for the info. So I estimate that maybe they rolled out 150 Tour Master models for the year then. I Still believe that if it is their luxury line model then, they would have paid much, much more attention to the final details like door alignment, interior and exterior trim and such. Mine in particular, had one of the cargo doors so misaligned and the paint shop didn't bother to look at it when they had to paint 3 colors across the door that when it is correctly aligned, the paint misses the match by over 1/2 inch. So its back to the drawing board..

While I'm a paitent person (sometimes) I really took them (GS) for granted when I purchased the coach about the little details that are addressed when you buy a car, those things are fixed before you ever look at the vehicle. I have a 2003 Cadillac Esclade as well as a 2005 Hummer H2 and have yet to take them back for any warranty other than factory recall. I've obviously got a lot to learn about the RV world.

By The Way.... Why do they call Trailers RV's?? to me that is not a vehicle... oh well... I digress.......

Webster Says........
Main Entry: recreational vehicle
Function: noun
: a vehicle designed for recreational use (as in camping) ; a means of carrying or transporting something
Old 09-06-2006, 01:16 AM   #13
RayChez1

Default TourMaster

TourMaster used to be Gulfstreams top of the line luxury coach. I believe that the Friendship G8 is priced a lot higher now then the new TourMaster. I do believe that the TourMaster might be second in line of the luxury coaches.. I know that I looked at a TourMaster in Las Vegas and was kind of disappointed with it. I expected it to be like the old TourMasters where they had a lot of luxury interiors. But overall it looked like a well made caoch for the money. I know that it didn't have the amenities that are on my Scenic Cruiser. But the Scenic Cruiser in 2006 was approaching 300K and 42' long. I think they started getting too expensive and sales were not as good as the entry level coaches. I hope they bring it back in a couple of years again and I will buy another if they do bring it back.
By the way I notice that you have a Hummer. I have been thinking of buying one, the smaller H2, to tow behind the coach. The only thing that has held me back is the five cylinder engine. It probably is the same engine that is on the Colorado. I was hoping it had a V-6 or a small V-8.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #14
djqualls

Default Re: TourMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez
By the way I notice that you have a Hummer. I have been thinking of buying one, the smaller H2, to tow behind the coach. The only thing that has held me back is the five cylinder engine. It probably is the same engine that is on the Colorado. I was hoping it had a V-6 or a small V-8.
I bought the 2005 H2 in Sept 2004 and it has 16k miles period. I literally don't drive it. It does get better mileage than my Tour Master.. 11.5 -vs- 7.0....

The new smaller Hummer is the H3.

I have thought of trying to tow the H2 but I don't know if it is too tall to connect to the caoch. I read that it was capable of towing 4 down.

I have a pickup that I primarliy drive and might put a towbar on it.

I am the 40's age group that the new RV movement is trying to capture. I really use it for a transport rather than a live-in vehicle. Of course i haven't had it long enough to really break-in because it has been un-useable because of the air-conditioning problems that made it neccessary for the factory to have me bring it to Elkhart for the service.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #15
GStream40
Site Team

Dave,

Recreational Vehicles is a wide term used to describe any unit used for recreational purposes. Yes, a trailer is a vehicle, be it without an engine, that is why they must be lincensed to be on the road.

The misalignment of your paint stripes is something that does happen, but usually not by that much. The paint shop, Mike's Custom Painting, uses a template to put the stripes/designs on the coaches. I have seem many of them at the factory and they are usually right on. None of the painting is done at the factory until the coach is completed body wise with all doors etc.

If it is just one door, then maybe it was repainted by your dealer before you purchased it for some reason??? Our dealer had to paint our left front fender four times after they replaced it before I would except it!!

I didn't ask as to each model manufactured, I don't think that would have been told as it probably has to do with orders. Gulf Stream doesn't built any for stock, every unit built is sold before it leaves the production line.

The TourMaster is not the top coach as of this model year. The Friendship G8 is the top of the line. The TourMaster is in the Luxury coach class lineup along with the Friendship according to the GS website.

I saw a Hummer being pulled by a Scenic Cruiser at the GS factory last year. It was black and the coach was black. Beautiful combination, but quite a large toad to be pulled.

Ron
Old 10-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #16
Cterkelsen

Default owner

Help I need someone to help me I have a chiming behind the dash when I put it in gear? I have checked everything I was told to check steps are up jacks are up and confirmed slides all the way in. It is not a bell or alarm just a faint chiming in gear only?
2003 Gulfstream scenic cruiser
Cterkelsen is offline   Reply With Quote