Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
J79Engine

Default Rain streaks down the sides with Fiberglass roof

I have a 2005 Sunvoyager 8.1 gas rig with 3 slides. I had the entire coach power steam cleaned so I got all the Michigan 5 years of abuse off of it back in August. So I thought getting the fiberglass roof cleaned would possible end the rain streaks I was seeing down all sides of the coach. However now that I'm ready to scrub it with restore paste to bring back the shine I see the streaks have returned. Is this possible still a roof shed off or is it just dirty rain? I'm thinking if I get it clean and then restore the shine to the gelcoat sides and painted areas that the marks may disappear for good. However if the fiberglass roof is possibly sheding something due to age and being never taken care of and sitting through 5 Michigan Winters then what can I do to erase the roof problem. The dealer told me to just have the rood steam cleaned with a power washer which I did as stated but it did not fix it. All the putty seals on the roof have just been replaced so it could not be them. Hopefully someone knows how to fix this or at least prevent it going forward. I have the rig winterized at the moment and sitting on 4 pieces of 3/4 treated plywood to help the tires get through the winter. However I had a cover for the 5th wheel and don't plan to go there again as it was a fight to get it on and a fight to get it off along with wind damage from the cover blowing against the 5th wheel all winter. The bigger thing is I'm 63 and don't need to be tugging a cover up onto the roof of the motorhome. We have fairly mild Winters in the Cincinnati area so it should be ok!
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Sundancer268

Default Re: Rain streaks down the sides with Fiberglass roof

Unless the roof has had the fiberglass protected by a coating of some type you are probably experiencing oxidation of the fiberglass gel coat. You are having the problem show up on the roof first and not the sides as it is always exposed to the sun all day unlike the sides which only get exposed during part of each day. The only way to protect it is to 1; Wax it every 2-3 months, 2; Clear coat it, 3; Red Max Pro, Poly-Glow or similar product. Just take it as an early warning and go from there. Good luck, Ed
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
darbyjudy

I have a 2004 Sunvoyager and I thought it had full body paint but no it just has the colors that are painted and clear-coated. So everywhere on the MH that has not been painted it shows the water streaks and also a fading. I coated it with Red max and that helped but you can still see where the water ran down the sides. I tried rubbing compound and everything else to remove these streaks. I beleive that about all I could do now is to have the unpainted areas painted and that would be very expensive. It was just a very poor choice on Gulfstreams part not to paint the whole MH. I think If I would have found out about Red Max earlier it might have saved it from streaking. Best product I have ever used on the finish so far.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
RayChez1

I used to have that problem until I had the roof washed real good and then applied Blue Coral wax on the roof. It seems like the streaks stopped. Don't know how long it will last, but no streaks the last two years.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote