Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Senior Moment

I returned home after a 8 week trip up north. Was telling my wife how pleased I was that we had no problems with our 2004 Gulfstream sunvoyager, preformed great. We unloaded the rig and I placed it on the pad. Next day I decided to take the MH up to the local Shell gas station and fill the tank for it was pretty low and I don't like it setting around with a low gas tank. Well after filling the tank to the tune of $200.00 I proceeded to exit the station and when I made my turn to leave I hit one of the pipes that protects the gas pump, I just did not allow enough room. When I heard it hit I stopped and put the MH in reverse and turned the wheel to get away from the pipe. I pulled to the side and got out to see if I did any damage to the MH. What a surprise there was parts laying at the pump and I had destroyed the water heater door, the tank and a couple of panels on the MH. I took in to get estimate and it is going to cost $6800.00 for the repair. Dealer said it would be 4 to 6 weeks because GulfStream would have to manufacture the water heater door. I understand that the rest of the parts is avaible . Talk about being sick, & I can't blame anyone except myself.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: Senior Moment

That's too bad, but you may be able to take some comfort in knowing you're not the first, and certainly won't be the last!

I've backed into my shed, got too close to a guard rail and put a crease down the side, and jack-knifed the trailer into the corner of the rig
Old 11-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Sundancer268

And I took out an Oak Post the bird feeder was attached to and also the bird bath. Fortunately I saved the pieces and with new Stainless Steel Screws I can put the pieces back on the lower doors and fender well. The old screws were quite rusty and weren't holding by much. One nice thing about owning an older model that is not perfect, you just do not sweat the small things.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
J79Engine

Yep, we all have senior moments, so not good to beat yourself up over it! It is what it is and at least you did not damage or hurt someone else. Good to share the moment so others can hopefully learn and not repeat it on their rig. I did not learn when I pulled off in a KOA with my TV antenna still up when I hadd a 5th wheel. When I guy flged me down he told me the antenna caught the overhead tv cable wires and they acted like a Bow so when the antenna broke loose from the roof it shot like an arrow and luckily landed on someones car windshield leaving silver splatter all over it. But they would not allow me to file saying it was an old car and I had enogh expense replacing the antenna which left a hole in the roof. Then I got our 38 foot Motorhome, used 2005 with low miliage and I did a repeat leaving the antenna up but this time it caught on a tree and it just pushed it back down to the roof just above the AC unit. So this time as I stated in another area here I purchased a digital bat wing antenna which fits in the original location of the old antenna but does not require lowering or raising. You just need to turn it until you get the best picture. I also had a blowout on the 5th wheel that took out most of the wheel well which was almost 2K to get repaired as new so as I said we all do things but we need to just learn from them and share because the dumest thing is not sharing so we can all learn from one another. Hope all goes well and you have a better 2012
J79Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
RayChez1

It happens to all of us. A few years ago I stopped to visit some friends up at Rouge River, Oregon. When we were leaving I thought I had already cleared their entrance gate. Not so, all of a sudden I looked at my rear view mirror and saw the entrance gate post flying through the air and my coach had a twelve inch gouge. I was lucky it didn't do more damage then the gouge, it could easily pulled the end cap off. But it showed me that the coach was well built and took a real hard side swipe. I turned it to my insurance and the shop in Hesperia, Ca. done a fantastic job of matching paints and all. $1200.00 to repair. I make sure now that I am in the clear before I start turning.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote