Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
jshelley13

Default carpet replacement/ removing sofas

it appears that the sofas are bolted down , does anyone know anything about this??....Jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
03heritagerider

If it's anything like my recliner, the bolts go through the floor. The bolts were near the passenger front wheel well and simply held in place by washers and nuts.

My recliner started to wobble and was leaning to one side. I realized that they had installed the chair after the undercoating was applied, meaning about 1/2 inch of undercoating was between the washer and the floor. After a while, the coating around the washers on one side eroded and the chair was loose. Unfortunately, the bolts were so badly corroded, I was only able to back them off about an inch. I had to then cut them off and install new ones.

Depending on what is under your sofa is where you will find the other end of the bolts. My sofa is on the slide room and I know the bolts are not exposed under the slide. Either the nuts are into a threaded hole (hopefully), or the nuts are somewhere between the floor and underside of the slide room.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Chuck v

Jshelly13,

I had the carpet replaced/upgraded in my 2007 Tourmaster last year and was not able to watch the entire process as the company that did it was about 100 miles from me. But I know that the carpet was fitted around the seat belt mounts to avoid having to take them loose. Those mounts are securely bolted to the floor/frame and look to be difficult to mess with.

I have since had occasion to take both the J bed couch and the co-pilot seat out of the coach for various reasons. The couch remains out and dismantled/stored and we have a table and recliner there now, and the co-pilot seat was unbolted to make room for a new washer to be brought in and the old one to go out...then it was repositioned and reattached. The bolts for the co-pilot seat go into threaded chassis fittings that stay in place when you take the seat up. There is of course wiring for the power features of the seat to disconnect if you are taking the seat completely out, I just moved it far enough back to make room for the washer to be maneuvered out the door.

The J bed/couch was attached to the floor with four carriage bolts in my case -- no nuts on the opposite side of the flooring. The back and seat cushion are each separable from the base, as are the end arm pieces. The front trim piece below the seat cushion just hooks over the metal frame with no additional fasteners and can be lifted off. It is very simple to get the individual pieces out of the coach...they are all light and each one fit through the door easily, even the metal frame.

I did not witness what the RV shop did to take the larger couch out (the one that is on the slide) but suspect it is a similar mounting...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #4
trickto322

We took our out sofa this past summer. Our Tourmaster had 4 bolts holding it to the floor of the slide. After we removed the sofa we pushed the bolts down through the floor and pulled them through the fabric under the slide. Then we plugged the holes with silicon. We installed 2 recliners. When we travel if we put the chairs back to back we can secure them with the seat belts that were there from the sofa.
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
trickto322

I forgot to tell you how we did it.. We took the cushions off and opened the bed half way so we can see the bolts. thats it. It was quiet a challenege to get it out the door but do-able. Good luck
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
jshelley13

thks for the imfo....jim
jshelley13 is offline   Reply With Quote