Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Kate P

Default Battery Maintenance for RV Storage

We are going to store our RV for the first time since we bought it 5 years ago. We plan on plugging into 110 with a 15 amp adapter plugged into the 30 amp adapter on the 50 amp power cord. There is only a 110 outlet in the storage bay. We want to make sure we don't damage anything in the coach. What do we need to do to maintain the batteries in storage. We have 4 6 volt AGM house batteries. Should the inverter be on or off when we plug the coach into the 110 or does it not matter? We have a disconnect switch for both the chassis and house batteries. Should the disconnect switches be off or on? Do you have any additional information to ensure that we keep our batteries charged while in storage without causing any damage?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
jpf

Default Re: Battery Maintenance for RV Storage

what's the likelihood of freezing temperatures in storage?
how long are you storing?

I'd be inclined to disconnect AGMs at negative terminal and let them sit if it's under 6 months.
if you decide to keep batteries connected then I would definitely switch off the inverter.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Kate P

The RV will be stored for 3 months in an enclosed area. We don't think there will be any concern with freezing.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
RayChez1

I leave mine connected year round, but I do have wet six volt batteries on my coach for the house part. So that means that I have to check the battery water level at least every thirty days, just to be on the safe side. The inverter/charger has to be on if you want your batteries charged. Does not mean the inverter part has to be on at all, just the charger. It will keep your batteries charged all the time. With AGM you do not even have to worry about water levels, so you should be OK hooked up to the 110 shore power. It will keep your house batteries charged, but not the chassis batteries.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
minnie_2

All the best! It will definitely work. I am also thinking of getting a RV storage for storing home stuff as we are shifting. Will RV storage in Vancouver, WA work?
minnie_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
38Chevy454

Inverter is to change 12 VDC to be 110 VAC. Converter is to change 110 VAC to 12 VDC. Two completely separate functions. Your battery charger is a converter. Plugging into the 110 VAC wall outlet should keep your batteries charged up and in good condition, assuming the charger is on. Inverter will drain the batteries, whereas the converter (aka charger) will replenish the batteries.

2008 Supernova 6331
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454
Inverter is to change 12 VDC to be 110 VAC. Converter is to change 110 VAC to 12 VDC. Two completely separate functions. Your battery charger is a converter. Plugging into the 110 VAC wall outlet should keep your batteries charged up and in good condition, assuming the charger is on. Inverter will drain the batteries, whereas the converter (aka charger) will replenish the batteries.
The TourMaster has an inverter/charger combination. When you put it on storage and plugged in to shore power the charger in the inverter will maintain the house batteries. Will keep them charged up and when they are charged, the charger will just float so that it will not over charge. I always keep the inverter turned off inside the coach, unless I am dry camping and I want to watch tv or warm up a cup of coffee on the microwave oven. But on a TourMaster there is a regular charger to charge those batteries.

Now on my Scenic Cruiser the chassis batteries are only charged by the alternator on the Caterpillar engine. And I believe the TourMaster is the same as the Scenic Cruiser.

Now on gasoline motorhomes which do not have inverters. The batteries when plugged into shore power are charged by a converter.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
dove_06

I have to leave my RV open in winter for 3 months. Do you think it will be hazardous for RV or should I rent out ? Any suggestion?
dove_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
dove_06

I am looking for RV and boat . Any new company or existing one can help me out? I need storage space for two boats from three months.
dove_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:38 AM   #10
Tom_09

When I headed abroad for one month, I stored my boat into . I did not need to do pre-storage tasks. Service provider do it for me at little cost.
Tom_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 AM   #11
Marry_09

I have performed huge research to find the best. Do you have any suggestion for me? My caravan is standard in size and I want full safety at storage space.
Marry_09 is offline   Reply With Quote