Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
CaptJimmy

Default Roof leak

Just brought home my 'new to us' 2006 GS Sunvoyager 8388. Drove in the pouring rain and when I pulled into the driveway and shut 'er down, I looked back and was very disheartened to see water pouring down inside. Looks like the 'automatic' fan is leaking. I got up on the roof in the ongoing thunderstorm and managed to get a tarp over the vent/fan and that stopped the water from entering the coach so thank God for that. Have been reading about sealants to use to repair this (bought the unit 'as is' from a broker who specializes in repo's so no warranty) and some say to use on a rubber roof, etc. Can someone tell me what the roof is (rubber?) and what is the best sealant/caulk I can use to stop this from leaking again? Thanks so much!
CaptJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Arthur Hayes

Default Re: Roof leak

As I read your post the first thought I had was that your vent cover was not completly closed. As you described the water just pouring in, that is something that a little caulk isn't likley to cure. Operate the vent opening and closing a few times to insure that it is sealing.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
RayChez1

It would be nice to know for sure what kind of roof you have whether it is rubber or fiberglass. I have fiberglass on my coach and the sealant used by Gulf Stream when new was Dicor the type that spreads out as you lay it. Clean the old sealant with lacquer thinner to remove the grim and they apply the Dicor where ever you see a crack.

What I done was to apply Eternabond tape on the long seams which are two and the two cross ways. That tape which you can get through Amazon once you apply it, it is there for a long time. You do not have to worry about leaks anymore. Leaks are hard to find because you could have a crack on the caulking in the front and the water will run through the inside of the ceiling to the lowest point which could be somewhere else not even close to where the problem really is.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
JIMNINA

Having lived through 2 major roof leaks I would lean toward a none sealing vent, as RayChez mentioned. The first leak we saw was also from the vent on the bathroom. When I took it apart I found that it had about 1/4 inch gap and a cracked outer frame. I removed the obstructions and sealed the crack now it seals correctly and no more leak.
The other leak, must more major, was in the roof somewhere. I started with the eternabond on the front and rear cap. The leak was 1bout 90% fixed by resealing the front and end caps. I did end up having a RV repair shop reseal the rest of the roof with the Dicor and we are now leak free. My better half is very happy

My daughter and Son-In-Law also had a lead around the skylight in their bathroom in their travel trailer. We removed the skylight and installed plexiglass cover sealed with eternabond and it doesn't leak anymore.
JIMNINA is offline   Reply With Quote