Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
riverofcode

Default Driver and co-pilot replacement seats

Hey all. We bought a TourMaster 40c back in June 2017 and have been renovating it. One of the items on the list was replacing the drivers and co-pilot seats with ones with integrated seat belts since the wall mounted belts are about 8" way to high on the wall and routes it across our ears.

What I have found is a note on the few seat sellers websites is a note similar to this: "These seats are ONLY sold to class A motor homes with prior DOT Test Approvals for seats with integrated shoulder seat belts. If your vehicle is unapproved, your insurance company can deny coverage in case of an accident. Proof of compliance is required prior to acceptance of your order."

Now I am a bit concerned as to if putting these in our TM will be a problem. I can't find any data on how to find out for sure. I would have no issues adding a plate in the wheel well to add reinforcement for the mount.

2008 Tour Master T40c
2014 Honda CRV toad
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Chuck v

Scott,

Clearly the seat suppliers are rightly concerned about liability for seats installed with insufficient mount integrity to support integrated belts. If you are of small stature I would expect that you would have the seat raised and forward quite a bit and that should translate to a lower crossing of the shoulder belt somewhat.

However you probably also know that the shoulder belt top wall mount has a cover that can be flipped up to reveal the large Torx head bolt that mounts it -- perhaps you can find another belt mount strap that has a longer extension that would further lower the shoulder belt crossing path.

You presently have an 8 inch wall mount as seen on this site:
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatb...ts/125/view/63
...but you may be able to find a longer one that can reposition the belt crossing to be more to your liking.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote