Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #101
CraigH

I will be taking the plunge here shortly and have a 6400. The International dealer here in W Palm Beach, Fl has done at least one other and is very willing and confident. My impression of International thus far has been VERY good. I'll report back with the outcome. probably complete first part of November.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #102
Kimbo

My SN 37 had a lean before the ACE install. Now with the install I don't have the lean. Both airbags inflate at different levels/pressure to level my rig. I didn't need additional leaf springs since the air bags level the rig out.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #103
Texas TC

Kimbo,

I thought you had posted that information before. I guess I am surprised that others have required spring work with the ACE suspension system. Mine acts like yours and levels the coach by applying the correct amount of air to each air bag as needed. My understanding of the system is that their is an air valve and sensor dedicated to that process.

Since others have required spring work, I must be incorrect in some of my assumptions. I just know mine works well as advertised and I did not require any additional springs to be added.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #104
Bubba

I am new to this forum. Bought my 2008 SN 6331 Jan 2010, looks just like Texas TC's. It had 3630 miles on it. I have had every problem you guys have listed except the cab seal problems. We now have 11,000 miles. Just ordered the ACS air suspension. It will be here next week. Since I am in Goshen, Indiana I am going to meet with Mor-Ryde tomarrow and try to arrange installation. I am also going to talk to them about a SRL (Sterring Axle Rubberleaf). Mor-Ryde has used the aplication on International Transit Buses. This may be the answer to softening the fron end. I will post more when I have more info..
Old 10-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #105
Bubba

Default Mor-ryde update

I met with the guys at Mor-ryde. They are going to install my acs system next week. While my SN is there they are going to check the unit to make sure that a steer axle rubber leaf will have enough room. They are not sure there will be enough clearance because of the spring size required for the 10,000 pound front axle. If anyone is interested I will let you know what we find.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #106
Texas TC

I would certainly be interested in hearing how the rubber spring adaption works if they are successful with your installation. Keep us posted.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #107
Bubba

Default ACS Install

Picked up the SN from Mor-Ryde today. It has a 2" lean to the left. Mor-Ryde kind of just said they do not know why. They did a decent job on the install but they charged me 36 hours. To their credit they did discount the bill, but it was still more than it should have been. I drove it to my shop and there is a huge difference. I began to look the install over and read the instructions. In the instructions it specifically states that this application should have double air leveling valves. ACS only had one installed. When I spoke to Phil he said, Yes it should have two valves. Bubba was not happy.. Acs knew the application and should have shipped the proper equipment so the SN was not tied up for 3 extra days. The good news is that the guys in my shop can take it from here.
As for the front axle, that is a no go at this time. Mor-Ryde is going to reengineer their rubber leaf for the front and will develope a rubber leaf for the rear. If anyone can wait long enough for them to get it ready the cost should be under $2000 per axle. They said it should perform as well as the air system.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #108
PJMichigan

Default Air ride on SN

I am a newcomer to the website. I have been reading the threads for a few months and find it awesome. I have a 2010 SN 6341 with the old 4200 chassis. I am very interested in a better ride and hope to get some more info from BUBBA about the Mor-Ryde engineering. Thanks for your input.
PJMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #109
CraigH

I picked up my 6400 with ACE suspension installed yesterday. When I headed down the highway all I could think was WOW! What a huge difference.

It cost a few bucks more than planned but given the ride I'll be over that here shortly. I had the work done by Rechtein International in Riviera Beach, FL... good people, great to deal with.

The suspension for mine was also shipped with one valve and had a lean when installed. The weight on the coaches is just not distributed equally side to side and that evidently shows up more with the airbags. Without hesitation they went ahead and modified the install to two valves so now it levels front to back and side to side automatically with any load changes. I was told this also makes it a bit more stable (?). That conversion to two valves is what cost me the extra bucks.

When I returned home I picked up the family and took them out for a road test... everyone was impressed with the signifcant improvement... no more going airborne in the back!

Let me join the list of folks thanking TC for his initial research and sharing... now my SN rides like the coach should!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #110
cd6400

CraigH,

I am seriously considering installing the ACE system on my 6400. Couple questions based on your experience. Was the added/extra valve provided by ACE as part of the kit? If asked for when ordering will they provide it? If not, what specific parts are needed in addition to the ACE kit and who/where are they purchased from?
cd6400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #111
CraigH

The dual valves were not provided by ACE. The International dealer supplied the valves, air line, etc as needed. They also fabricated the necessary brackets for mounting, etc. Nothing real high-tech and I was told the valves are the same ones they use on heavy trucks.

I was a little surprised ACE shipped with a single valve setup after reading other recent comments.

I sure can't complain about the ride though!

PS: While it was in they also replaced the fan clutch and applied another new update. It addressed several things but I am told one was to improve the life of the injectors by flushing them after shut down.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #112
cd6400

Would you mind providing the POC you dealt with at Rechtein? I'd like to speak with them about the extra parts and possibly get specifics such as part numbers ect. I may be dealing with an inexperienced installer so I'd like to be as prepared as possible.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #113
CraigH

I worked with Doug Capps, he is the service manager for their three dealerships here in S Fla. Seems knowledgable and great to deal with... Phone is 561-882-9050.

Good luck... we will be headed out on a bit longer trip here around Christmas and get a little more experience with the ride... one real bouncy concrete bridge on the route which was scary before.... always had to slow down to about 35mph... I am anxious to see if the air ride will tame it...
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #114
cd6400

Thanks for the response. As it turned out I spoke with Doug yesterday when I called Rechtein. He was very helpful and appeared knowledgeable about the install. He estimated the installation to be between $6 and $6.5K based on a two valve installation and "additional features". Did you have anything special done over and above the basic two valve install?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #115
CraigH

Nothing additional... I talked about having an air connection installed for airing tires, etc but ended up not having it done this go 'round.

They do a nice job of installing the air compressor and tank assembly up inside the frame infront of the front axle. He may be referring to that mounting.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:55 AM   #116
kart74

Sorry for not letting everyone know the results of my ACE installation sooner. If you remember I paid for the parts and Cummins was doing the installation. It turned out they needed to order the second air thingy and add leafs because of the lean I am hearing more and more about. We bartered the labor and I felt it was only right that I pay for the extra parts. Now it sounds like most are having to do the same. So the total ended up a little over $6,000.00. Problem is that we only got a chance to drive it once before we had to winterize so I don't know how much of a difference it made. It seemed huge the short distance we did go. Now is there anything I am supposed to do for the winter with the system? I didn't get any kind of service guide so I am clueless as to what maintenance it needs if any. Do you all take your house batteries out for the winter? Do you know that the thing was hitting so hard it broke the strap on one of the batteries which in turn busted the ground wire off? I sure hope I spent this money wisely.
kart74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM   #117
Texas TC

Glad you got that resolved and negotiated a reasonable cost! The only winter maintenance you need to do on the ACE system is to drain the water from the air tank which you should do after each trip or two. Since you did not drive very far, you probably did not generate enough moisture to worry about it this winter.

As far as winterizing goes, I empty all the tanks, blow out the lines with my home air compressor and add RV antifreeze to all drain traps. I keep the coach hooked up to power all the time in storage and never have worried about removing the batteries. In your climate, the removal of batteries may be warranted but we just don't get that cold for extended periods here in Texas.

I know you will like the results of the ACE system when you get more of a chance to drive it. They are a really good investment and should have been a part of the original design.

Good luck!

TxTC

Old 08-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #118
TKonen

Default Dual height controllers

Hi everyone, my wife and I just purchased a 2009 Supernova with the ACE air suspension already installed. I did some research on it before the purchase which is how I found this forum. Thanks to all who have posted, the information is great!
My system has only one height control valve and has the drivers side lean that others have talked about. I spoke with ACE and they said I should have two valves and are sending me another one with the brackets needed for install. After looking the system over, there doesn't seem to be enough room between the shocks on the front of the crossmember to add the second one. I hope they send detailed instructions.
My question is: Does anyone have any pictures of their ACE airbag suspension with the two height control valves installed?
Thanks for all the info,
Tim
TKonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #119
oldsnapper

I just installed a Kelderman www.kelderman.com Air Suspension on the rear of our 2008 6331 Endura. Website has all the info.

Very well engineered, top quality fabrication & parts and straight forward installation instructions. The ride improvement is almost unbelievable! The install instructions & pictures were done on a Super Nova so that really helped. Here is a video showing the suspension at work that sold me. Good company to work with and great price. Wish I had done this years ago! The hardest part was moving the wire and cables that would have rubbed on the new components. If anyone is interested in more info, please send a message.
Steve C. in Michigan
oldsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 08:55 PM   #120
Stevejo

who in Michigan installed your air ride?
Stevejo is offline   Reply With Quote