Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default How tight should the main awning spring be

I am taking the MH back to La Mesa on Tuesday for a couple of things for them to do under warrenty. I also talked to them about loosing the tension on the spring on the main awning. It is a 20 ft awning from A&E with the medal wrap cover. I have never had one with the medal wrap . It appears to be to be awful tight, for when I release the lever to roll back up, I really must have a good hold on it or it will take the strap through my hand and give me a good rope burn. The other one I had didn't do that. Does it have to be this tight on the medal wrap? I am afraid it will get away from me and break something when it slams against the MH. this is on a 2004 Sun Voyager model 8379. I don't want to have them loosen it and then find out it should be tight.
Another thing I don't like is the main awning goes out over the bedroom slide, they have two little wheels on the slide so it doesn't tear the awning, but to me it doesn't look too good. I was think of installing something along the lip of the slide out to better protect the awning. Has anyone did this on this model MH?
Old 07-11-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
RJ82much

Hi Darby,

We have the same A&E on our '05 Sun Voyager #8351. Yes, there is a lot of return spring pressure.

At first, I was equally alarmed, but have learned a couple of techniques to manage with the force. I assume you received the 3 foot rod with hooks at both ends? I move the strap close enough to the rachet reversing lever so that I can reach it by hand. Your frame is already retracted & prepped for closure. I hook the rod in the strap loop, THEN reach over to the rachet lever & reverse it. Then grasp the rod at the bottom hook as well as the strap loop and allow it to retract. Keep a good grip on the rod & you won't burn your fingers.

I assume that A&E wants the spring force high to prevent against the many potential mishaps while driving. Let us all know what your dealer says. And, ask for the extension rod if you didn't recieve it with your rig.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
treecounter

Send a message via AIM to treecounter

The spring on our A&E awning with the metal cover is also very tight. The release lever is in avery difficult position when the awning is closed also. But you are right about the rope burns.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
neondon

My '04 Friendship has the opposite tension problem, needing to be manually rolled up the last 2 feet. Now, the locking lever is pointed downward and stuck in an unknown function. I don't know what the internal parts look like, but know enough not to play with springs without that knowledge. Rolled up and not useable. Thanks.
neondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #5
heetseeker

neondon,
It's easy to add tension to the springs. You will need a ladder and a helper, screw gun with appropriate bits. Just did this 2 days ago.

There are several YouTube videos out on replacing the awning springs so I used those as info to learn how the system works. All brands have different ways to adjust and my Carefree of Colorado 'Spirit' uses 2 screws to keep the spring tension. Basically, locate the pin or screws that keep the spring tension , while grasping the outer bracket with vice grips...remove the pins or screws. You will feel the spring tension now on the vice grips that you have a firm grip on. Just add a couple of winds then put the screws back in place. Put the awning arm and bracket back on and test it out. It helps to have someone hold the awning from retracting while you do your thing, thus the helper..

heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote