Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #1
Rhodesia

Default 2007 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 8368 MXG

I have a 2007 Gulf Stream Sun voyager model 8368 Gas coach 37 feet long my question is when I'm driving up mountain pass my coach tens to almost come to a low crawl it seems even when I use my overdrive I'm not hauling anything as of yet but was going to flat tow a 2002 Jeep Liberty renegade, so what I'm asking is why do I see other motorhome gas pushers that are the same length as mine pass me up the mountains pass like it was nothing and they are towing a vehicle I have a banks system installed in mine and it works fine I have a V 10 engine because this was built on a F53 ford frame.

So if I start to tow I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to tow the jeep up the hill if I'm crawling up it with a boat anchor. I had the Ford dealership do a complete service on the transmission and rear differential and there is nothing wrong I only have 44,000 on her. The coach drives real great So what makes my Gulf Stream different than the others that pass's me up these steep grades?
Rhodesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
Sudsy

Default V10 vs V8

All I will say is remember that the Ford V10 is a "High RPM" motor. I have a Triton V8 in a van. It sounds like it's screaming if I nail it. My V8 in the coach is designed to operate most efficiently at around 3500 RPM (max torque) where the V10 operates at a much higher RPM. So....

Keep the RPMs up for the best performance. Check the manual (or search here) to see what RPM works best.

Sudsy
Old 09-23-2018, 04:24 PM   #3
Rhodesia

Default Slow crawl up mountain pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
All I will say is remember that the Ford V10 is a "High RPM" motor. I have a Triton V8 in a van. It sounds like it's screaming if I nail it. My V8 in the coach is designed to operate most efficiently at around 3500 RPM (max torque) where the V10 operates at a much higher RPM. So....

Keep the RPMs up for the best performance. Check the manual (or search here) to see what RPM works best.

Sudsy
Thank your for your feedback
Old 09-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
George3037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodesia View Post
I have a banks system installed in mine and it works fine I have a V 10 engine because this was built on a F53 ford frame.

Check with your Banks System installer and see if it is tuned correctly. Obviously not if you are getting passed by other MH's with a toad.
George3037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:39 PM   #5
jd625

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post

Sudsy
I agree on the high RPMs. Our 2007 33' Yellowstone has the F53 chassis V10 engine. On climbs it doesn't always downshift so we will either floor it or manually down shift. It's very content (screaming) at higher rpms. We also have the Banks. We tow a Saturn VUE comfortably.
jd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #6
Rhodesia

Default Banks system

Quote:
Originally Posted by George3037 View Post
Check with your Banks System installer and see if it is tuned correctly. Obviously not if you are getting passed by other MH's with a toad.
I have a Banks Ottoman programmer the RV shop that installs the Banks power system in the RV's thinks the Banks system just needs a tune up, but he can't do it because I need to have the programmer unlocked by the banks company itself. When I bought the Motorhome the banks was already installed and I found the device in the cabinet but the Mech can't tune it until I get the Banks company to unlock the programmer which is a pain in the but because that company never answer their phones for customer support to get it unlocked.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
RJ82much

Our Workhorse gas 37ft Sun Voyager also crawled up those long, steep climbs, getting passed by fast moving diesel MH's (& trucks). I thought I had to "catch up/keep up" & blew out all the transmission fluid as a result! My suggestion: move over to the right, turn on the flashers, gear down & just be patient. Turn up the radio, start a conversation with the wife & relax - you will get to the top.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote