Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #1
wsearfoss

Default Water Tank fell off almost crushed my head

My son and I filled the fresh water tank so we could sanitize the system. The tank was slow to fill and the water kept running out the fill port. After it finally filled I was going under the trailer to open the drain valve. Suddenly the tank fell from the trailer missing my head by a couple inches.

The tank was being held up by a sheet of black corrugated plastic. It appears that there are strap marks on the plastic where straps once held everything up under the trailer. Incidentally after it fell I noticed that the fill line was pinched between the over flow and drain valve preventing water from filling the tank quickly which caused the water to back up and run out the fill port

We have been customers of the dealership since it opened; we are not whiners or complainers, so I called the owner of the dealership and informed him of the incident. He apologized profusely and asked me to take it down so he could fix it. So now I get to tow it down to the dealer at 8 MPG and in order to do that he recommended I disconnect and remove the tank. I strongly impressed on him that had this happen while driving it would have caused an accident and possible loss of life. Had this happen at a campground I would not have had a way to move the trailer from the spot.

Had the dealer made a ?house call? I probably would not be angry right now. Guess I need to take a vacation day from work to ?work on the camper?.

I will keep you all posted on how well the dealer satisfies the situation.
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear
wsearfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
wsearfoss

The unit is at the dealer for repair.

Dealer told me they were making straps for the unit.

The service manager asked me what happen to the straps for the tank. My answer was, ?that?s a good question? I told him there were none and that is why it fell off the unit when I filled it with water. He said I could never had gotten anywhere with out straps on the tank. Again I told him there were no straps just that plastic sheet under the tank.

I almost feel like he is accusing me of removing the straps.
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear
Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
wsearfoss

I am trying to not take anything personal. Logically I understand that any dealer could miss something. Honestly I never would have thought to make sure that the fresh water tank was strapped up. I haven't even seen that suggested when buy a used RV on this forum. The straps missing sound far fetched even to me.

The dealer gave me a 90 day warrantee on the appliances at no charge so they must have felt the unit was ship shape.

Dealer called to say it was finished. He asked if I could pick it up tomorrow. I thanked them for getting it done so quickly. But since I took a vacation day today to remove the tank and take it down tomorrow is a problem but, I could be down tonight after a Band Parent meeting to pick up the rig. Since they do not have a "locked yard" hitching it up is no problem. I would rather have been able to talk to someone when getting it though. He told me where it was parked.

I will inspect the unit before pulling out of the yard. Tomorrow or tonight I will fill the tank to make sure it fills correctly and doesn't fall down.
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear
Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
DAF

Wow, in 30+ years of RV'ing I had never heard of that happening! Thanks God no one was hurt. Since the TT is used, and you mention that there are strap marks on the tank, I believe that a previous owner or dealer had it down for repairs and did not strap it back. You are right that your dealer should have discovered this before the sale. I would expect a more thorough inspection from my dealer when buying a used unit. I hope everything has been corrected to your satisfaction.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
wsearfoss

Default fixed !

I brought the unit home and filled the tank with water and let it sit over night. Everything seems fine and fixed. The dealer put three long ?L? or angle brackets under the tank to hold it up.

The only thing I saw that I have a question on is the space between the axel and the center ?L? bracket. With the tank full of water there is about an inch of space between them. I do not know if that is enough. So if anyone here knows that answer I would like to hear from you.

When I picked up the rig, the dealer had a 2006 Gulf Stream Gulf Breeze 23TRS sitting there. So I crawled underneath to look at how the FW tank is held up and saw only a single bracket. It was not in the middle but to the right or passenger side of the trailer and tank. I told the dealer what I saw and advised them that they might want to check it out so there would not be a repeat of my incident.
4X2 5.7 hemi 3.55 rear