Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
provideo

Default Shore line not charging battery

Hello. I have a 2006 GS 5231 BT Cruiser with a battery problem. The cabin battery slowly drains when the shore line is plugged in. All 110AC outlets work properly but the battery is not charging. If I start the truck engine it switches over properly and charges as expected. If I start the onboard generator it switches over properly and charges as expected. It is not switching over when the shore line is in use. Since the 110AC from the generator switches over properly I would say the "converter" is working. So why is the shore line not switching? Has anyone seen this problem before?

Also, where on this earth can I find a wiring diagram for my 2006 GS 5231 ? Surely someone out there has one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike from Oklahoma
provideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
jpf

Default Re: Shore line not charging battery

there should be an ATS (automatic transfer switch) under the sink in the bathroom. This switches the AC source to generator after it has stabilized. If shore and generator are running, generator should take priority. From there AC goes to the fuse/distribution panel at the side/base of the kitchen sink
if you have shore power connected and the converter doesn't work then it sounds like the converter is wired up to the gen side of the ATS whereas it should be wired off the back of the AC side of the fuse/distribution panel.
there is no wiring diagram that I've heard of.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
provideo

Default Re: Shore line not charging battery

Hello Sir,
Thanks for the info. The converter and ATS were found on the back of the bathroom wall in the cavity created where the hot water heater is mounted. This wall also has the main breaker and fuse panel, battery disconnect switch, "steps" on/off switch, porch light switch, etc. mounted on it. This is the area right under the rear closet space in the very back of the cabin.

My ATS is working properly. My "110vac to 12vdc converter" is dead. It is an INTELI POWER 9100 Model PD9160A. It, of course is not "openable" by the consumer. I drilled a few rivets to remove the cover and checked the three fuses. The main fuse is open, thus, no converter. If I remember correctly this all started after a lighting strike in the park where I was camping. In the morning I plan to replace the fuse and test the converter. I would almost bet money that it is OK and will operate correctly. I think a voltage spike from the lightning took out the onboard fuse which is of course not a consumer replacable item (wonder why the manufacturer designed it this way ??? Do you think they maybe want me to purchase a new one instead ?).

Thanks again for the info,
Mike
provideo is offline   Reply With Quote