Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
Microguy

Default Question on Dometic ammonia fridge operation

We just got to a campsite, and it's hot out there, and it's taking forever for the fridge to cool down. Even the ice in the coolers is melting and dang it, my ice cream is going to me melted.

I would like to run this thing off an inverter going down the road. I know you have to be careful about the angle of the fridge so the ammonia can condense properly.

My question is, will it actually HARM the unit to run it for a few minutes when it's not level (like going up a hill)? The only problem *I* can see, is heating the chamber where there's no ammonia, because it's stuck in the condensing coils. I don't really see that as an issue, just one possibility if any.

But, does anybody know for sure if this will actually harm anything or not. I know it it will interrupt it's operation until we're level again, and that's fine. I just don't want to damage any thing.

(and nope, I didn't find any dry ice to use)
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #2
Leisure Time Larry

It is fully expected and appropriate to operate your fridge while in transit either with propane or electric. The motion, the ups and the downs, balances everything out I guess as opposed to just parking it out of level.

Side note, I was recently on a trip, and I wasn't getting the cooling out of mine that I desired. I had previously ordered the Snip the Tip thermistor replacement, but I hadn't gotten around to installing it. I did on the trip, and I noticed an immediate improvement in cooling. Highly recommended for a cheap and easy thing to try if you aren't getting the cooling you are hoping for.
2005 22' BT Cruiser 5211, Chevrolet 3500 chassis w/6.0L Vortec V-8; 6'x12' Cargo Trailer; Honda CB500X motorcycle for street and ADV riding; Yamaha TW200 motorcycle for dual-sport and trail riding...All of it for fun and adventure!
Leisure Time Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
VaHappyCamper

The answer to the first question is that yes, you can run the fridge going down the road. the movement of the trailer keeps the ammonia moving around so it's not the same as sitting still out of level.
A possible suggestion that worked on mine. You stated it was so hot that even what was in the coolers was melting. See if you have an exhaust fan in the refrigerator compartment. If not, install one (or have one installed). After the fan installation, mine works better than new.
Hope this helps.
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Microguy

Thanks, I will work with both of those suggestions. i thought about a small fan before, but just didnt get to it.
So much going on right now.
Microguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #5
VaHappyCamper

Microguy. I would suggest looking at the Dometic exhaust fans. They move a lot of air. Mine are not on a thermostat, so I put each one on a separate switch so I have the option of none, some or all. There is also a thermostatic exhaust fan (two fan set up), that will turn them on low at a set temp and increase decrease the speed as is needed. All of these fans are very low battery drains. If you have problem finding what you need, I'll be happy to go searching again.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
rld63

VaHappyCamper. I installed the dual exhaust fan at the top of the fridge heat vent and it made a huge impact. On a 105 degree day, my fridge quickly cooled down and stayed at normal temps. The fan's I bought are thermostat controlled but I am not relying on that, I am using the supplied switch and controlling manually.
I installed : Titan- dual fans model with controller

Roy.

2008 SuperNova 6400 Grand Hotel
Pulling a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
rld63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
VaHappyCamper

rld63 - Roy. Fantastic and you saved me some looking. I'm not running a Class C, but my TT was giving me fits. I used the Dometic fans for their ability to move large volumes of air and I'm very satisfied also.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #8
Emma
Gone traveling

One of the biggest telltale signs that your refrigerator may be on the fritz is if you get a whiff of ammonia, even if you did not use any kind of ammonia-based cleaner on it.

The reason for this is that most portable refrigerators, like those found in RVs, work using ammonia-based coolants instead of CFC or HFC. So when you smell ammonia from your fridge, there must be a leak in your coolant system. In such a case, you have to deal with it immediately to minimize the extent of the damage.
If you want to know more information about it, you can ask me I will give you. Thanks!
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:18 AM   #9
Emma
Gone traveling

I read it in here. You can refer more information.
https://vogeltalksrving.com/how-to-c...-in-rv-fridge/
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote