Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
RJ82much

Default Compartment doors breaking off

Has anyone else besides me experienced an outer compartment door "breaking off"?

I believe I posted previously about a door weld breaking, POP rivets snapping, & tape failing such that my door fell off. After 1+ years, the repair was recently completed by my dealership. The paint doesn't match, the swirls were hand-painted on, by a child I think. and adjacent doors physically interfere.

Well, there is some bad news as well, for all you owners of late model GS coaches (A little sarcasm?). A 2nd door fell off. Same story: welds broke, POP rivets snapped, tape peeled loose & door separated from coach.

I examined all my compartment doors and found EVERY weld failed at the end the strut mounts to. EVERY weld was just a glob of weld filler material either burned thru or barely attached to the base material. Carbon arc splatter all around. Apparently, the low-cost bidder didn't believe in TIG or MIG welding, nor training their high school apprentices in welding technique. At the most, 4 small-guage POP rivets were used along the length of the hinge, certainly inadequate for the strength required. The door skin is fastened to the frame by double faced tape - an acceptable solution provided the surfaces are properly prepared. Mine are coming unstuck.

I would like to hear if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote