Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #1
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul
Default Cargo doors opening while driving?

We meet a couple this last weekend with a Sun Voyager that said they had a number of issues with the motorhome. One of the issues was that they had problems with the cargo doors opening while driving down the road. I have never heard of this problem and was wondering if anyone has had this problem. Part of me thinks that maybe they just were not closing them properly. I of course really don't know if they were closing them properly or not. Anyone have this issue with there GS?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
RJ82much

Funny you should ask.............

As recieved, our compartment doors were very difficult to close. Had to actually force them closed with leg, then pull on each to assure they were latched. Several times, I would find a door unlatched at a later stop. We got in the habit of pulling each door & locking it. Never had one mysteriously open under those conditions. Finally, had the dealer readjust them and it seems OK now. Never an incident after that.

Well, that is except the time I drove off with a door WIDE open... with all my tool boxes inside. Fortunately, I only drove 100 yards from the park dump station to check-out booth. Was able to run back & pick up the trail of tools before any one else harvested them.

Note to self: "Self, check compartments often!"

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:23 PM   #3
gsadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Well, that is except the time I drove off with a door WIDE open... with all my tool boxes inside. Fortunately, I only drove 100 yards from the park dump station to check-out booth. Was able to run back & pick up the trail of tools before any one else harvested them.

Note to self: "Self, check compartments often!"
Thats alot better than driving off with your slide open...and no, I have not *yet* done that <knock on wood> hehehe
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
RJ82much

Or worse with slide AND awning out... that would say one was in WAY too much of a hurry!

Actually, on a more serious note, I've heard that leaving your TV antenna raised is a common event. I bought a big pastic clip that I remove from the raise/lower crank handle & clip on my steering wheel while the antenna is up. It is a great reminder system before driving off.

Also, I sort of have an awning reminder. I was advised to fasten a velcro cinch strap around the awning extension frames to secure the clip that keeps the framework tight against the sidewall & prevent inadvertant "deployment" (terrible description). I place the straps in an obvious location to be seen (& used) when packing up.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 04-07-2006, 07:22 AM   #5
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

Last weekend we packed up and just as we got on the highway my wife came over the radio and asked me to pull over. My son was driving her in the "chase" car. He is 16 and has a permit. We have been letting him follow me to campgrounds and back with his car for the driving experience.

Anyway, I pulled over and she said I had left the antenna up. Boy did I feel foolish . Our old motorhome had a flat round antenna that did not have to be put up or down. Of course it got terrible reception. I have heard about using clips and signs to remind the driver to put the antenna down. I guess I am being stuborn and refuse to admit that I could forget it. At least there was no damage. This time.

About the awning. According to sorces on RV.Net an awning can unroll itself with out the arms coming out from the side. Meaning that even locking the arms and tieing them closed that a strong wind can unfurl the fabric itself. One needs to have a pin or other such device to actually lock the barrel in place so it does not spin when the fabric gets wind under it. I hear it is a real problem out in the west because of strong wind across the plains or thru passes.

I had the rear slide out awning unroll on me. Aparently the factor falled to put in the set screws (or they fell out) and a gust of wind pushed one arm off and it unrolled. The little arm that stayed attached bent and was replaced under warrenty. Thank God I was out by the camper when it happened and I was able to take it off right away with help from my son. If the awning would have blown around for any amount of time it would have busted up the sides and the roof. The slide was in at the time.

Happy Camping.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #6
justlizz

I have a red bear that I hang from my antenna handle to remind me to bring it down and we use zippy ties on the awning we have never had any problems but I have read about them on rvnet so I prefere to be safe than sorry
lizz
Old 08-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
dbmotors

My compartment doors were opening when I first bought my 2005 SunvoyagerLTD. I had them "adjusted" by the dealership. Been fine ever since.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Tundrasport

This was one among many major problems we have encounterd with out Vista Cruiser mini. The first time we were stopping for fuel and someone yelled out that the battery compartment door was open. I though I had checked them all but figured that I had missed one. I went around and locked all the doors and gave each one a tug at the bottom to make sure it was secure. The next day at a red light someone jumped out of their car and closed the main compatment door that had swung open. What I found out was that even locked the doors could be open by just pullingthe latch very gently. These were adjusted by the dealer on service trip 5 or 6.....I've lost track at this point
Old 01-24-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
RJ82much

The latch is a true "Mickey-Mouse" design. (Wait till you see the new, side opening compartment doors). Anyway, back to what most of us have to suffer with.

The "loop", mounted on the compartment frame, is adjustable. Spacers are added or removed to obtain the correct height for the door latch. You need a supply of longer bolts handy, as the current ones are generally just long enough to thread into the frame.

The other adjustment is to loosen the "loop" bolts & slide the "loop" closer to, or further away from, the latch.

Even though you may get them adjusted perfectly, a couple miles of bumpy road is enough to upset everything. The frame can be twisted by hand, therefore messing up the amount of latch overlap.

Because of the flimsiness of the mounting, it is nothing to yank on every locked compartment door & open it. Sad, sad sad - just hope the criminals don't know that.

The factory told me to keep the adjustments as tight as possible to help keep them closed (if you can get them to latch then)

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
Old 01-24-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
earljan34

Hey Ron, I'm starting to believe you and I have the same coach, I had the same thing happen doors not staying closed adjusted them so I have to push with my leg to close works fine for now!

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:39 PM   #11
trickto322

Our doors open as we go down the road. I bent the "u" part of the latch a little and it seemed to help, However I really don't trust them. We lost a lot of stuff when this happened. This is the same as the door, you get it tight and then it won't close.
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
Beaufort NC

>>>Thats alot better than driving off with your slide open...

Kind of like landing with the wheels up!! (tee hee hee).
Workhorse chassis
Cummins 330 ISC
Toad: 2015 Jeep GC Summit
Beaufort NC is offline   Reply With Quote