Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
silverladyHMC

Question replace dining ceiling light fixture

We are planning on replacing the dining area ceiling light fixture in our 2018 BT Cruiser Model 5316. It is 12v of course. From what I can research we can replace it with a 110v fixture as long as we use 12v LED light bulbs and do not wire in the fixture ground wire. Does this sounds correct? We are 1st time RV owners.Thanks
silverladyHMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Chuck v

The downside of using a residential fixture is that many have Edison bases for the bulbs -- and 12 volt bulbs in that base size are higher wattage typically. If the fixture has candelabra bases you can get LED lamps in most cases (both 12 volt and 110 volt -- so be sure you get the right ones.)

The fixture in the dining area of my diesel coach is actually a chandelier with 12 volt bulbs with T series bases...the bent wire leads that slip into the socket. These bulbs are widely available in incandescent, halogen and LED so your choices are nearly unlimited.

Pre-wired and fixed lamp LED fixtures made for 12 volts are another possibility and may give more 'decor' flexibility over typical RV fixtures.

Is there a specific design constraint you are working within regarding this fixture.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Frutza

I did use residential lighting fixtures, I wanted something unique, the 110 volt light socket just popped out, a spring clip, in using a lumens meter I determined that of the 4 of the like 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” circuit board style led’s with double face tape, would give me the same amount of light. I was able to put a lense, from a drop ceiling light, around the perimeter with strip light underneath for indirect lighting. Then 2 push buttons to choose which light, now for the hard part, try to post pics!
Old 04-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Chuck v

Very nice Mike !!

Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #5
Frutza

Thank you Chuck
Old 04-06-2018, 12:44 PM   #6
silverladyHMC

Thank you all! I found this 12v LED Edison bulbs on Amazon to use. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-06-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
silverladyHMC

Chuck, I just realized you asked me a question, sorry. I could not find a design I liked in a 12v fixture. I have done a lot of wiring in a stick house but still learning how to do wiring, plumbing etc in an RV.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Chuck v

No worries -- just curious on why the focus on residential fixtures... If you have space enough for a fixture that uses conventional envelope Edison-based bulbs then the LED ones you linked to should suffice. I have used similar looking 120 volt candelabra based bulbs in the light fixtures used with ceiling fans and found them to give even lighting--but they still show a yellow center through the shade when not turned on which my wife objected to somewhat...

Chuck

Old 03-25-2024, 10:58 AM   #9
Chebytrk

We also have a 5316 & looking for other like owners to share info & ideas. We're now renovating the front & looking for more ideas.
Chebytrk is offline   Reply With Quote