Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #1
biged

Default Just opened my Fema Trailer Can of worms

I just bought a trailer, the people had been living in it for a year. Everything seemed fine when I looked at it. Everything worked had one small soft spot in the floor in front of the bathroom sink, no big deal....so I thought!

Well yesterday finally started I on the repair, and found the roof has leaked in the past in the bedroom. I took down the ceiling panels and found the 1/4" roof plywood almost gone. The roof trusses and the other wood is wet but still sound.

The floor is completely disintegrated not a big deal. I can repair that issue with money and hard work. My main question is do I need to pull the roof membrane off and install new rood decking or can I cut new 7/16" OSB between the roof trusses, coat it with construction glue and and press it against what is left of the existing roof decking? How much trouble is it to pull the roof membrane back and re install?

I like my trailer, I can't complain I only paid $1,700 dollars for it. It is worth investing a few hundred dollars into. We bought it as temporary housing while we rebuild our house. We got 7' of water from Issac.

Any advice comments welcome. The above mentioned roof repair would only be a temporary, so we can get moved in. Thanks Big Ed
biged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Just opened my Fema Trailer Can of worms

Sorry to hear about the damage to your house from Issac.

The main thing you want to do is fix the leak to stop any more damage. If you feel confident that the repair you descibed will hold until you complete the repairs to your home and move back into it, then that is what I would do and not spend any more money than I had to on your temporary housing.
It is quite a job to remove the roof membrane, replace the rotted sheeting and reinstall the membrane, that is unless the membrane is glued down then you take the chance of having to replace it. It could get quite costly $$$$.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
biged

Default Re: Just opened my Fema Trailer Can of worms

Thanks Ron, I am going to try and get it back together over the Holiday. As for the roof it is no glued down. I am going to add the OSB as a temp measure and use peel & seal for the corner roof repairs, after I get the house back together I will repair the roof correctly. I would like to keep the trailer for future use.

I am crazy for doing things right, so roof repair will be high on my list to do properly.

Thanks Ed. I will post some pictures of progress
biged is offline   Reply With Quote