Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
CaryL

Default Control of Rear Camera?

Question:
Is there any way to modify the operation of the camera and or dashboard radio display to enable the camera while driving down the road? This would be a good safety enhancement helpful when towing a car or trailer and to monitor when it is clear to cut over when passing.

Background:
We have just purchased a 2017 BT Cruiser 5245. The radio does not appear to have any vendor identification in order to get a manual or technical info. It includes the rear camera display that only works when the gear shift is in reverse. Since the radio controls speakers mounted to the outside and bedroom areas it has to have been installed or modified by Gulf Stream.

I am looking for a setup option to manually display the camera when needed.
Does anyone know how to remove or access behind the radio?
Is it possible to install a manual switch in place of the wiring for reverse gear to manually control when the camera is displayed?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations!
CaryL
BT Cruiser
CaryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #2
Chuck v

CaryL,

On my 2007 diesel pusher model T40C, the camera can be active all the time the ignition is on if you push the camera button on the dash radio/display panel. I do this all the time when I am driving my rig...

No idea how the new units are different, maybe others on this forum can shed some light on your unit's specifics.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
CaryL

Hi Chuck,

Many thanks for your input. I appreciate your assistance and glad to be in touch. Also very glad to hear I am not completely crazy and that this is a reasonable need.

Unfortunately, I don't see any button or controls on the dash for camera. I may just be overlooking the obvious. However, the rear camera is consistently displayed on the radio every time the gear shift goes into reverse.

I contacted Ford Support (It is built on a Ford E350 chassis) and they said they did not supply the radio. I left a message with Gulf Stream and am awaiting a reply to see if they can tell me who made the radio and where to get a manual.

In the off chance that others in the group might be familiar with this radio, I am attaching a picture of the mystery radio.

happy trails,
Cary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3087.JPG (74.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
lipmsp

Default bt cruiser radio

Hi Cary,

I have the same radio. There is no way to turn on the camera manually.
Also, this radio is bulk purchased by Gulf stream. Not much info about it in the web world.

Sorry I couldn't help you more than that.
lipmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #5
CaryL

Default Re: BT Cruiser Radio

Hi lipmsp,

Many thanks for the info. It is good to know that a possible contact point could be Gulf Stream. I will let you know if I come across any documentation.

By trial and error I found a setup screen in the radio that is for blue tooth. I tried to pair my iPhone to it but could not get them to recognize one another.

Have you been able to use blue tooth or make any setting adjustments to the radio?

FYI - mine came with a cable with a wide Apple connector for an old iPhone 4 or earlier. I found an adapter for it that will allow the newer iPhones to connect. So far I have only found the radio will play music with the cable.

Cheers,
Cary
BT Cruiser 5245B
Old 06-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #6
lipmsp

Default radio

Hi Cary,

I must tell you that i replaced my radio and speakers with a Kenwood. unbelievable difference and much more useful and clear camera

Mark
lipmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:36 PM   #7
CaryL

Hi Mark, Good to know. With the Kenwood are you able to turn on the camera whenever needed?

Right now I am in discovery mode with the BT Cruiser and want to learn how to use what's included before resorting to replacing components.

FYI, for others who still have the Gulf Stream radio, the Gulf Stream website lists "Drive Home Theater System Owner's Manual ( 2018 ) Model EEDV06" on the Owners Resource page. The manual is also available from "Way Interglobal Network".

The 12 page document has a picture that does not look like the radio at all. However I was able to pair my iPhone 6 via Bluetooth to the radio using their directions. I couple of pointers was to hold the phone less than 2" from the radio (I just placed it against it), the phone located a device simply labeled "BLUETOOTH". I then entered pass code 0000 (4 zeroes) and it connected. I was able to punch in a phone # on the radio and the iPhone placed the call. Response came through the radio speakers and I could speak using the radio's microphone. The phone # was retained in the radio listing.

Small victories I guess.

Another note, it appears the TV, microwave, speakers, and radio came from: "Way Interglobal Network, LLC", https://www.wayinterglobal.com/
Cheers,
Cary
Old 06-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
Oxxer

CaryL,
I also have a 2017 5230. Same issue with the indash radio. I am not even able to get to the screen on mine to change the clock from military time to standard. I have asked my dealer to contact Gulfstream for suggestions on operating the unit as well. I will continue to monitor this thread to see IF G.S. gives you any info on the unit. Thinking of changing unit also as Mark did, but not sure how to go about it. Suggestions Mark?
Thanks,
Kip
Oxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #9
Beachnut

Hi Cary,

We went the same route, tried to find info on the radio with no luck so we ended up replacing it. We had it set so we are able to use the rear view mirror with the backup camera instead of the radio display. Also, we can see directly behind us at all times.
Beachnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #10
CaryL

Hello Oxxer and Beachnut
Thank you so much for your responses!

I have not received the promised manual yet for the radio. I was hoping to provide some incite to everyone but nothing yet.

I too only have military time. Its amusing that there is an icon labeled "Date" which only sets the time in military not the date.

I like to do things myself and would like to know how easy it is to take the radio out. Anyone have any pointers?

We will be traveling in the Elkhart area next week so if possible I will swing by the Gulf Stream headquarters to see what information I might be able to get.

Cheers,
Cary
Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
Sudsy

Default Camera Power Source

Hello all;

If you can get to the camera wiring (I had to peel off the Dicor and found a rubber stopper under it that made it kind of easy) then find the wire that is switching on and off with the backup lights. Reroute (re-connect) this wire to the running light that is closest and the camera will come on with the running lights and you can run with the parking lights on during the day. I just replaced my entire system.

Sudsy
Old 06-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #12
CaryL

Default Radio Manual

Here is a Gulf Stream radio manual for the one installed in a 2017 BT Cruiser. There was no notation of the manufacturer or model number.
It does accurately describe the radio installed.

Cary
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Radio Manual.pdf (1.56 MB, 50 views)
Old 06-24-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

1) The radio ID MFR/ Model (probably) pops up on the screen during startup? 2) I have mine setup continuous; DOWNSIDE IS NO RADIO OR OTHER FUNCTIONS WHILE DRIVING w/ rear camera (which, while maybe not best, suits me for now), and until/ unless I decide to get a separate MONITOR. THERE ARE TWO WIRES from radio for VIDEO FUNCTIONS; one is connected to parking brake for GROUND to allow VIDEO INPUT displays (VCR/ DVR, etc) WHEN Parked; the (other) is a POWER wire from the BACKUP LIGHTS that turns ON CAMERA and auto switches Display to CAMERA automatically when you go into Reverse. (I have no other video inputs), so 1) camera plugged into VIDEO Input, and 2) Parking Brake WIRE is Grounded TO ACTIVATE Video Input without setting Parking Brake
Old 06-24-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

re: radio removal, might be easier to check youtube? Ford models have one way to release, some others may have similar? Usually involves snapping out a small piece of radio trim to gain some access?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #15
Hubert Hurst

My 2007 BT Cruiser has a monitor on the back of the drivers side sun visor and 4 buttons to turn the camera on or off etc. It also comes on when I put it in reverse and turns on a beep, beep etc.
Hubert Hurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 03:58 PM   #16
CaryL

Default 2017/2018 BT Cruiser Radio Specs

For anyone interested in the supplied radio, attached are photos of the top with manufacturer sticker, FC FDA, model S-8960. The wiring specs agree with the previously attached radio manual uploaded.

I could not find anything for "FC FDA" but it is interesting I found a KaiChuang Kc-101 radio that has the exact same face plate as the one installed in the BT Cruiser. The KaiChuang radio appears to be affiliated with BOSION Navigation.

The 20 wires from the plug/harness as well as the 10 separate RCA plugs behind the radio all had individual labels attached. One RCA plug was used for the back camera. I was able to attach cables to AV Out1, RR Out, and RL Out for connecting to a full size TV for future use.

To access the radio, I had to pry out the Ford black dashboard sub panel. I pulled it forward just 4-5 inches before hitting the steering wheel and the limit of all the attached wires. I was able to reach through the hole for the radio and unscrew the 4 screws that hold the radio to the metal frame underlying the dash. Then pulled the radio forward 3 inches to unscrew the 4 side screws that held the black plastic surround that was the adapter and bezel for mounting the radio to the Ford dash. Finally the radio would slide through the hole in the dash.

I am in no hurry to do that again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3369.JPG (111.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3373.JPG (161.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3375.JPG (124.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #17
CaryL

Default Quick Change for Camera Control

Here is what I did to setup control of the backup camera by turning on the parking lights. In the end the back of the radio did not need to be accessed at all. I had to go through the exercise in order to trace the wiring. The actual change was just moving one power tap wire from the backup light to the parking light.

My 2017/2018 BT Cruiser supplied radio had two wires for rear camera operation. One yellow RCA plug out the back of the radio for receiving the video signal from the camera and one brown camera trigger wire in the 20 pin connector plug, in position B3. Both of these wires were run underneath the length of the coach to the passenger side rear brake light / backup light assembly. (the brown radio trigger wire was in turn spliced to a red wire to run the length of the coach).

The rear camera has two wires running to it, a red wire for powering the camera and a black cable for the video signal out.

The passenger side rear brake light / backup light assembly had a yellow wire tap from the backup light going to both the red power wire to the camera and the red trigger wire to the radio.

The only modification needed was to cut the yellow tap wire from the backup light. Then add an extension wire to tap to the green parking light wire that is going into the brake light and tie to the cut yellow wire that feeds both the camera power and the radio trigger wires.

First picture shows existing yellow tap wire coming from the backup light.
Second picture shows the existing yellow wire going to both the red power wire to the camera and the red trigger wire to the radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3381.JPG (93.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3382.JPG (86.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:46 AM   #18
Restorium

Looks like you could do the same thing but use a switch and 12 volt power source to turn the camera on and off whenever you wanted using your new switch. That way the camera is totally independent of the light circuit. The rear camera on my 1999 is on any time the ignition is on.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
CaryL

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It really helped going forward with this.

Restorium; yes, now that I know where the wires run, it would be easy to tap into the camera trigger wire where it runs down the lower side panel to the left of the cab, just forward of the driver's door. (the parking brake release handle comes out of this panel in the E-350). From that tap a line would go to a new power switch. The tap would feed the radio trigger wire as well as the camera power wire since that wire still runs the length of the coach back to the camera. The existing tap to the brake light assembly would have to be cut of course.

For now I am going to see how I like it working from the parking light switch.

thanks again!
Cary
Old 01-18-2024, 07:30 PM   #20
[email protected]

Great information. I know what I'll be doing when it warms up. Thanks, Would you happen to have an idea how i could hook the DVD function on the radio to the TV up top in the bunk?
awgentile@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio, rear camera, toad monitor