Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-24-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
jhuff1219

Default Coach too heavy for suspension

We have a 2007 GS Gladiator 6318 (Class C) 31' w/garage purchased in April 2007. Since we brought the vehicle home the rear-end has been dragging on just about everthing, the driveway, gas stations or any uneven surface of more than six inches of decline. We have inquired at the dealership about the suspension and were told the vehicle is fine. We've inquired at GS and were supplied with the same answer. So now we are looking for some direction/opinion/experiences from fellow owners. We've had the vehicle weighed 4,410 Front, 12,130 Gross and 7,750 Rear. These weights include just my wife and I (assumed 200 & 125 lbs respectively - don't tell her I published her weight), LP gas (42 lbs) and 1/2 tank of gas (225 lbs). I've had the front and rear springs inspected by trusted mechanics who insist the coach is too heavy for the current number of springs and that the wheels are not far enough to the rear of the vehicle. I wanted to add an air-bag system but b/c of the stressed springs the air-bag system does not have enough room to function properly. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this problem?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
earljan34

jhuff1219, Welcome to the forum!

Go to a good spring shop they should be able to give you the advice you need! My thought would be to add a leaf or two and have the remaining ones re-arced if they are not broken I have done this many times to pickup trucks with great success.

Hope this helps you some!!

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
jhuff1219

Default Update

Thank you Earljan34 for the suggestion but we are lookin for a permanent solution which doesn't cost us anything, especially since the vehicle is still under warranty.

Gulfstream has since offered to install spring blocks which would increase the ride height enough to pass inspection but my knowledge and experience with spring blocks is suspect at best. We do not feel this is a permanent solution, just a delay tactic by the manufacturer to get beyond the warranty period. Ford has stated the rear springs are sufficient for the vehicle and insists the manufacturer did not move the rear wheels far enough back to support the house design. We agree with Ford in that the rear springs are currently bowed (getting worse) and it's a direct result of the amount of house behind the rear wheels. Gulfstream has refused to install an airbag system which everyone we've talked to insists would be a permanent solution to this problem. The dealership, at this point, may install the airbag system just to maintain us as valued customers but I do not feel this is the responsibility of the dealership. We (Ford, the dealership and us) feel this is a design flaw which Gulfstream refuses to acknowledge.

We have contacted a Lemon Law attorney regarding this matter and it seems to us that Gulfstream would much rather be forced to reimburse us for the entire vehicle rather than simply providing a ($2,000.00 airbag system) permanent solution. We just do not feel it is acceptable for the dealership to incur the cost of this modification since the manufacturer caused this problem during the design phase of this vehicle.

Again, if anyone has any similar experience or any suggestions regarding this matter, please let us know. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
earljan34

I will stick with my original suggestion, Adding a leaf or two is a permanent fix more so than the air bags.
JMO and from personal experience.

Earl

www.IRV2.com, www.RvNET.com, www.thatscamping.com
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
mfa

Default Re: Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuff1219
...We have contacted a Lemon Law attorney regarding this matter and it seems to us that Gulfstream would much rather be forced to reimburse us for the entire vehicle rather than simply providing a ($2,000.00 airbag system) permanent solution. We just do not feel it is acceptable for the dealership to incur the cost of this modification since the manufacturer caused this problem during the design phase of this vehicle...
I'm not sure I agree with what you are doing. You've been offered a "permanent solution." Why don't you let the dealer decide if it is acceptable for him to incur this cost? Why add to the litiguousness of the society we live in by suing when you've been offered a fix?
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

I have to agree with Earl that the leaf spring additions by a spring shop is a much better and permanent solution than air bags.

If the dealership has offered to install the air bags at their cost, I would sure take them up on the offer, although I personally would rather have the springs re-arched and leafs added if need be.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
jhuff1219

Earljan - we have had this vehicle inspected by two experienced suspension shops and now by Ford and we are being told by all that additional leaf springs, helper springs or re-arching the current springs are only temporary solutions b/c of the amount of coach behind the rear wheels. In addition, we are being told by those same resources the suggested modifications to the springs will stiffen the ride leading to possibly a rougher ride impacting dishes and such. Finally, we are being told a modification to the existing springs may not increase the ride level sufficient to pass inspection. We are not doubting your experience or discounting your suggestion. We really do appreciate your input but those who have actually inspected or built this vehicle are providing much different evaluations and suggestions.

MFA - We wholeheartedly agree with avoiding the litigation process but we are not getting any sort of satisfaction from the manufacturer. We feel Gulfstream may have created this problem during the design phase of this vehicle. Another factor in favor of litigation is the 2008 version of this vehicle has its rear wheels located significantly farther back than where the rear wheels are located on our 2007 vehicle.

We are certainly willing to accept the generous offer by the dealer to install the airbag system at their cost but that doesn't make us feel any better about this product or the manufacturer. The Lemon Law is about taking responsibility for ones mistake. The dealer did not create this problem so why should they pay for correcting the problem? Finally, keep in mind we are only during the evaluation/discovery stage of the litigation process. We have not signed any paperwork or initiated a claim...yet!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
conquestidor

We have similar problems with our 2008 Conquest model 6319. Can you tell me if and how you resolved your suspension issues? Thank you.
conquestidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #9
GregGarner

Default Re: Dragging

I welded small wheels onto the bottom of my hitch to just help the RV roll when it drags. This worked out very well, and doesn't cost much. About $50 per wheel, and I put two on.

Greg Garner