Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
lockdoc

Default How do I get to the plumbing in 5er???

Hey all- If there are any other DIY types out here, I am wondering if you know how to get to the plumbing behind the storage compartment wall in the basement? I am thinking that I will have to remove the wall to crawl back there.

I just found out today that the water leaks I took the 5er to dealer to fix were not taken care of as told!!! I am going to insist that the dealer now comes to me or reimburses me for my labor to correct this myself as we are two hours apart. The black tank flush line is putting more water into my basement than it is into the black tank!!

Any ideas that would save me some hassle.......I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Kevin
Powrachute Powered Parachute Rotax 912 100 HP
lockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

I just wanted you to know that your post is not being ignored, I just believe no one has ever had to access the plumbing you are refering to.

Go luck with the repair. Let us know how it turns out.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
lockdoc

No problem! I just think it would get done sooner and better if I do it myself!!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdoc
No problem! I just think it would get done sooner and better if I do it myself!!
I heard that! Yep, That is usually the case, sad, but true.

I do everything I possibly can myself, that way if it doesn't get done right I know the person to get a hold of. It usually doesn't take 6 weeks either like it does at our dealer.

Ron
Old 08-25-2006, 07:27 AM   #5
lockdoc

I lat talked to the service manager at the dealership on Monday and his last words to me were "I'll take one apart here and call you with how to do it". That was Monday! Today is Friday and I doubt very much if I will hear from him. I am going to contact GS and see if they will pay for my efforts to fix this right instead of running back an forth to the dealership. Maybe if they know that people are taking maintenance into their own hands as the service departments are not living up to a standard that would seem to be desireable by GS.....maybe, just maybe they will get on the dealerships to get this stuff right the first time in/out!

I am seriously thinking about starting my own mobile RV repair business. I currently am set up similarly for the locksmithing business but after 15 years of it I'm feeling the desires for a few changes. I own all the tools one could want.....well....need anyway, and the mechanical abilities are there-plus I am still a few years too young to retire!! (not to mention I can't afford to!) I figure that even in "retirement", my personality will dictate that I do something! When camping, I am always searching for somebody to help out and have a hard time just sitting. I suppose if one was going to pursue a mobile business it would be wise to attend one of the two schools I see are operating. Two months for certification isn't too bad either.

For those of you that are full timing it....what do you think? Are mobile RV repair services needed? Would you choose a mobile, come to you, service over taking your RV to the dealership if you knew the mobile guy was more interested to seeing your job done right than taking your hard earned money for a job that is often not done correctly or in its' entireity?

Thanks for your time in reading this and responding.

Kevin
Old 08-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
GStream40
Site Team

The mobile RV repair is quite busy where we winter in Florida. There must be at least 4 mobile RV repair services ran by individuals and a couple by RV parts/repair stores.

If RVwizard is on the forum, maybe he can advise since he is a fulltimer and in the RV repair business.

Ron
Old 09-08-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
lockdoc

As a follow up to my original post:

The dealer called me back yesterday 9/7/06 and told me that they just took another one apart so they were now ready to tackle mine. I had to inform him that I had done it myself over the weekend as waiting too long wasn't in the game for me.

I had to remove the wall (cheap paneling) and was then able to access the area of the tanks. The black tank flush is plumbed into the top of the tank right next to the sewage run. The line runs horizontal to the tank and is connected with an elbow connector to the tank. I tightened this connector then attached a hose to the flush bib and turned it on..... now I have no leaks! While I was in there I spent quite a bit of time cleaning out the construction debris and sawdust as I don't need that stuff getting into things and wearing it out prematurely too. I also had to mount the water pump as it was just set there, halfway between the grey tank and the floor, without being secured and one of the quick connect fittings that SureFlo used on this pump had been knocked loose! Now the pump is connected to the floor and can't allow this problem again!

Now I feel that I need to address the water hammer noise! Will an accumulator tank fix this issue? I want a quiet water system! The hoses are hammering loudly when the pump runs. They are already flexible lines so there is nothing to change there.....I have added sponge rubber underneath the lines on the water connection board but they still hammer away.

I am heading to Kansas with the rig next week so I am anxious to get things right for use boondocking! I am also adding an in cab air control system for the AirRide bags....if I can only figure where to mount everything! I think I should have gotten the digital system as it would take up less room!

Blue skies and clear roads to you all!
Kevin
Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
GStream40
Site Team

Glad to hear that you were able to repair your leak, also that the dealer DID get back to you be it late.

Water hammer is annoying and it sounds like you have tried all the fixes.

I installed a accumulator tank on our previous coach. What I did was go to Lowe's and buy the 2 gallon tank. It did help a little with the hammer, but what I really liked was the fact that the pump didn't run as often, but when it did it ran longer to fill the accumulator back up. Therefore it seemed that the hammer didn't bother us as much. The wife really liked it because in the early morning hours I could use the toilet and flush it without the pump ever running. It didn't wake her.

It also stopped the pulsing in the shower from the pump pressure variation.

The 2 gallon at Lowe's is much better than the smaller RV version. I made a bracket to mount it on the wall under the bathroom sink in the cabinet, but can be mounted anywhere there is room and access to the cold water line. I also installed a valve so that when I winterized I didn't have to pump antifreeze into the accumulator.

Ron