Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
TrishS

Default MOVING ELECTRICAL OUTLET

Hi there, this question comes from my husband. He wants to move the exterior electrical outlet in our 2005 BT Cruiser 5230 from INSIDE the storage bin (driver's side) to the exterior wall (driver's side also) of the motorhome so that he doesn't have to leave the storage bin door open when he has something plugged into it. Has anyone ever done this and is it possible to do so?

He also wants to do the same thing with the park cable tv coax wire which is located inside another outside storage bin. He wants to run this through the side of the BT as well so he doesn't have to leave that bin open when the wire is in use. Any ideas?

Thanks.
TrishS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: MOVING ELECTRICAL OUTLET

Personally I wouldn't move them so that they will be in the weather. On our MH I can still close the compartment with the wires in place or I can route them through the opening in the bottom of the compartment
for longer term use.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
jpf

Default Re: MOVING ELECTRICAL OUTLET

my old phoenix cruiser had a pair of sockets with weather covers outside, it was under the awning and a good arrangement.
my bt cruiser has the sockets inside the first compartment on the passenger side below the slide. there's a white pass-thru platic cover thing in the bottom of the compartment for running power cables, but it's the opposite end of the compartment to the plugs. this compartment is always wet after rain and shows rust stains in the fabric.
I much prefer the phoenix layout, far less hassle. they were never a problem and a pair of sockets with a GFCI trip built in would be safe enough.
the park cable socket was also external with a rubber push on cover.
I don't see any reason not to make the changes you propose.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote