Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
mark2line

Default Gen Set problem

I am wondering if anyone is having a similar problem with their Power Tech PTRV-8 Diesel Generator.

Two years ago the generator was making a lot of noise. I had it worked on under warranty and they indicated that the noise was coming from the Fan Guard which had loose bolts. About a week later the noise was back so I brought the coach back and they indicated that the Front Motor mounts were loose and the tech tightened them, noise went away.

Well the noise is back and I checked it out and found the noise is coming from the fan guard which the shaft of the fan is rubbing on the guard.
It appears that the fan has slipped down which is causing the problem. I spoke with the factory at Power Tech and they indicated that they did not think that this could happen as the motor mounts are what keeps this in place. They indicated that the generator would have to be removed from the coach as the sheet metal around the gen-set would have to be removed and something would have to be put under the mounts to raise it up to where it should be.
I asked if they could take care of the problem under warranty and I was told no.

WOW, any help would be appreciated,

mark2line
mark2line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
David Bott

Default Re: Gen Set problem

Hi...

Not sure what coach you have, but it is like out Tour Master the gen has to be dropped out the bottom of the coach. This could be a big thing for you not only need a place with a RV lift or a pit, you need to be able to drop it all the way out to get to ANYTHING. (Big yellow gen set. 8KW)

Heck, in ours, I can not even get to the plugs or anything. Changing the oil and the filter is about it.

I am not impressed with the gen itself and surely not happy with GS and how they choose to install it. Heck, I found the bolts for the mount that holds it is to have never been tightened!!!

Oh, I do not like the gen for 2 reasons...1) It is kind of loud. 2) When you press the button to turn off, it does not cut the voltage output off first then spin down, it just spins down. This makes for a brown out event and resets things like a DVR or computer (if not using a notebook). (Transfer switch dependent I have found with testing 5 switches. But the main issue is the gen stopping.)

Sorry, no help here really. Just wanted to add to your felt frustration. (Meaning, I feel for you on this one.)
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
mark2line

Default Re: Gen Set problem

Thanks for your reply. I am also not happy with Gulf Stream, as you have stated it will be a big job to remove the generator due to the way they installed it.

My coach is a 2008 T40A Tour Master which I have had since 1/24/2008

I have had a lot of problems with this coach from the day I took delivery and it continues to this day.

Thanks for your sympathy,

Mark
mark2line is offline   Reply With Quote