Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
frEEk

Default Tempted by a 90s tourmaster

I'm looking at a 93 Tour Master and finding myself quite tempted as the thing looks really nice (the interior looks like it was higher end back then than now). No slides is the only shortcoming that I can see.
Now granted this is going to be a biased group but... any reason to avoid this year & model? It is the 300HP engine option, but I don't know which of the 2 models it is (I can only assume the difference is just layout). Common problems in those years to look out for?

Oh, and what kind of mpg can I expect? I was told 12 but that seems like it may be a bit high.
And anyone know if the tanks and enclosed and heated? Looking to do some sub-zero boondocking and most certainly do not want to be worrying about frozen pipes.

Any tips would be very much appreciated.
frEEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
03heritagerider

Default Re: Tempted by a 90s tourmaster

frEEK (love the name, by the way)

I did a model and year search on-line and the only recalls I found for the '93 Tourmaster are related to the refrigerator.

As far a being a biased group, it's like buying anything else. If you're buying a car and look at Ford, all the people who love Ford will tell you how great they are. Then, all the Chevy lovers will tell you what's wrong with the Ford. I think it would be like purchasing any other used vehicle or home. Listen to the pros and cons then make an informed decision rather than an emotional one.

As far as the layout and lack of slides...that's all a matter of your taste and what you need or want in a coach. The wife and I got rid of our first motor home to get the slides. But, if I were alone or we were just using it on weekends or an occasional vacation, we could probably live with no slides again. Being retired, we usually spend periods of 3-4 months at a time in the coach, so slides were important to us.

Look for problems in corners and seams. Obvious repairs. Plumbing, heating, A/C, electronics, etc.

From the automotive side, If you're not a mechanic, find one to check it out. I went to Craig's list a couple of years ago and solicited for a diesel mechanic. I found a few and the one I chose came to my house and taught me a lot of maintenance practices.

The holding tanks are probably not heated per se. However, I can almost guarantee the basement is heated, which in turn, heats the tanks. Most basement models with ducted furnaces have a duct that goes into the tank compartment. As far as "sub-zero boondocking"...I think I would do some extra insulating of the basement and doors and consider some type of auxiliary heating in the tank compartment.

Mileage... Mountains, towing, and higher speed gets lower mileage. If i'm traveling through the Midwest plains at 55-60 mph, I can squeeze a bit more. But you can count on 8-10 mpg.

Good luck and let us know if you make the purchase.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #3
frEEk

Default Re: Tempted by a 90s tourmaster

03heritagerider (a fellow biker i presume?),

Thanks for the info. I could live without the slides just fine, especially in the winter, tho the would indeed be nice to have.

I do know my cars to an amateur mechanic extent but know nothing about heavy chassis and diesels, so would indeed need an expert eye.

Heated tanks... i prefer enclosed and heated by furnace over pads. Pads just eat your battery after all.

All that is moot however, as I ended up going for the safer option (or at least what i think/thought would be the safer option) of a winter-prepped class C. Though now that I have it, I'm not as impressed with its ability to withstand cold as I was hoping. I find myself wishing that Tourmaster is still for sale in the spring and switch that that

Thanks again for the tips.
frEEk is offline   Reply With Quote