Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-14-2018, 09:10 PM   #1
Loner

Default Engine Stalls

When I turn loose the battery xfer switch to crank the engine stalls.HELP
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
Restorium

You use the battery transfer when your engine battery doesn't have enough juice to crank it over. If your engine battery is bad enough your engine will stall when you turn off the transfer. Besides a bad engine battery it could be a bad charging system or a short in the wiring. The fix for this depends on why you were using the transfer switch in the first place.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #3
Loner

Default Engine Stalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
You use the battery transfer when your engine battery doesn't have enough juice to crank it over. If your engine battery is bad enough your engine will stall when you turn off the transfer. Besides a bad engine battery it could be a bad charging system or a short in the wiring. The fix for this depends on why you were using the transfer switch in the first place.
I recently bought this baby to restore. The use of xfer switch was explained to me by previous owner as the proper way to crank. I will test batteries today. thank you so much
Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
Restorium

So we can get on the same page here;
Old 10-15-2018, 07:51 PM   #5
Loner

I was informed that if your engine is running and you disconnect the positive lead from the battery and the engine cuts off you have a bad alternator, if it continues to run the battery is bad. Any comments pro or con?? I tried this and the engine stalled should i replace the alternator or are the other alternator test i could do?? Thanks again
Old 10-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #6
Restorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I was informed that if your engine is running and you disconnect the positive lead from the battery and the engine cuts off you have a bad alternator, if it continues to run the battery is bad. Any comments pro or con?? I tried this and the engine stalled should i replace the alternator or are the other alternator test i could do?? Thanks again
That test works most of the time. I would take the alternator to the auto parts store and have it tested.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:50 PM   #7
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Modern vehicles w/ computer, injectors and COPS must have proper battery voltage to run, and many alternators cannot work without battery; have even read that disconnecting battery can blow a computer? Leave alternator, and take battery to be charged/ tested and/ or replaced; once a good battery is installed, THEN test alternator in place.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Loner

Thumbs up Engine Stalls

GMoring All thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions. The problem has been solved and fixed. It was the cranking battery. Yes you are right with the proper good battery the engine starts and runs without using the battery boost switch. Thanks again good people.:
Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 AM   #9
Restorium

GMorning,
You had an old school easy one. Thanks for reporting back. Nice to be able to help someone.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #10
Big Shasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
GMoring All thanks so much for your ideas and suggestions. The problem has been solved and fixed. It was the cranking battery. Yes you are right with the proper good battery the engine starts and runs without using the battery boost switch. Thanks again good people.:
Still be sure the battery is getting voltage from the alternator. Just put a meter across the battery when the engine is running. You should see ~14V putting a charge back into the battery from the startup. With a bad alternator, the first battery would have given out and if the previous owner was using the emergency switch all the time, the start battery would have went very dead and may now test bad. You could be starting off the new batteries initial charge and have this problem again after several starts.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:03 AM   #11
Loner

Default Engine Stalls

Thanks for suggesting I check the voltage while running. The new battery only had 10V and about 5 minutes the engine stalled. So i am back to replacing the altanator. Thanks for your alert, glad it happened at home and not on the road. Thanks to all
Old 10-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #12
Restorium

The gauge on the dash helps a lot too. It will show if you are charging or not. Some of the auto parts stores will bench check your alternator.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #13
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

FLASHBACK/ FOLLOWUP; HOPE you tested charging voltage after installing new battery
Old 09-29-2021, 02:58 AM   #14
rose48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
The gauge on the dash helps a lot too. It will show if you are charging or not. Some of the auto parts stores will bench check your alternator.
Best to diagnose bad charging system
rose48 is offline   Reply With Quote