Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
mandmtravelers

Default New Couple with (almost) GS SuperNova 6331

We are in the final stages of purchasing a 2008 GS SuperNova 6331 and have been scouring the Interwebs to find reviews and information. Have been lurking on this site for a few days and thought it was time to say "hi!"

First time RVers, anxious to get started, hoping we made the right choice.

Vehicle is sound, but there are some things I want to repair/upgrade right away: Navigation, Side Cameras, new Headlights, new tires, repair Clear Coat on front cap, and a few cosmetic issues.

I've read the clear coat posts (thanks for the info) and will have it professionally done, but I also wanted to know any sources for the rest:
- Where do you believe is the best place to buy tires? Brand?
- Just below the existing cab radio is a double-din spot, can that be used to insert a double-din radio/nav unit?
- Where is good place and what is a good brand for aftermarket side-view cameras?
- I believe that the chassis is an International 4200. Is that correct, where can I find a technical manual for the chassis, and where is the best place (online or in person) to buy parts?

Thanks all!
Mark and Meischelle
mandmtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
Frutza

Hi, back to ya,
Does in dash navigation offer options like Rv Or trucker systems like height and weight or length to give warnings or when routing? I upgrade my GPS more often than my radio
Do you have an existing camera system? It may have additional inputs? I looked at the Voyager web site and EBay was comparable, but didn't add side cameras because I used one of the inputs for a trailer camera.
Lots of opinions on tires, I went with Toyo and there fine, had I have scaled before I bought tires I might have increased load capacity, other people have used Hancocks, I had them on a work truck and the were very hard compound and that thing was stiff enough! 1st thing to add is pen & paper to make lists as you think of them, make a couple short trips to get the hang of things, remember, a bad day of camping is better than a good day at work!
Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
israndy

Most RVs do not pick up a lot of miles in a year, what some people (like me) do is get used tires. Someone puts many many miles on the tires in a short time and then gets more tires and the old ones still have lots of tread. But more importantly, they have LOTS of years left in them. RV tires fail from old age, maybe 8 years and the sidewalls start to crack. If you get used tires that have enough tread but are only a year old you will spend perhaps 1/3rd of new tires and get the same number of years before you need to replace them again.

The hard part is finding used tires in your size. I used CraigsList and I drive however far needed to get them. Install is same-day and you can make a road trip out of it, visit the sights near the place you found. Depending on how far you may be willing to drive a great site is AllOfCraigs.com as they give you the results from a search on all locations, not just local.

When I got my RV and again when I got my Jeep I used a place in Concord CA that is only 25 miles away. I checked every day and it was just a few weeks before they had my size. The Sprinter and the Jeep use the exact same Michelins. Crazy.

-Randy
Old 04-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
cvbdsl

I've been doing a lot of research on the same model, but actually want one slightly larger.
They are on the International 4200 chassis and may or may not have duel fuel tanks (dealers usually just copy the literature where it shows 2 tanks).
With some of the longer models people have complained of a rough ride but it seems 36 feet or less is basically fine. Just don't expect an air ride experience - it is a truck frame and truck suspension.

The engine (maxxforce diesel) has some controversy because it was used by Ford. Ford made changes that caused a lot of problems and by association all Maxxforce engines are tarred with the same brush.

These engines (without Ford mods) work as well as any other diesel and are used in thousands of school buses. My local diesel shop runs a fleet of buses and has no issues with the Maxxforce compared to other diesels. No better and no worse in his opinion.

There have been some recalls and modifications on the 2008 model year - don't recall exactly what at the moment. You can do the research and if it has the mods fine, if not I don't think they were too complicated.

The one I'm looking at (DW thinks it is too small at 31 feet) has had several mods by the previous owner including the install of a combo washer/dryer.
My main concern is he changed the couch as well and I'm not sure if it is still a fold out bed and has seat belts. (The MH is located at a dealer - days drive away- and the dealer really doesn't know - what else is new?).

It seems that 2008 models are becoming more common on line now and are close to my price point.

Good luck and have fun.

Chris
Retired Canadian Army WO (1972-2000)
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
Toad 2018 Ford Edge w/ Patriot Braking system/Blue Ox base plate/Ready Brake tow bar.
cvbdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #5
RayChez1

I am not a fan of the SuperNova because of the International engine. And again I am not a fan of class C type coaches.

But good luck with the SuperNova by Gulf Stream if you do get it. Check other forums for information on these coaches. IRV2 is a good forum and go to the Gulf Stream section for info.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
SlimTim

[QUOTE][/The engine (maxxforce diesel) has some controversy because it was used by Ford. Ford made changes that caused a lot of problems and by association all Maxxforce engines are tarred with the same brush.QUOTE]

Just to clarify, it is unlikely a 2008 GS Supernova has the Maxxforce Diesel. The Maxxforce “engine” was not introduced until 2008 and most GS Supernovas have a 2007 or older engine in them. The Maxxforce was a 6.4 litre engine introduced to meet the 2008 emissions requirements. The engine in your soon to be Supernova is likely to be a VT365 which is a 6 litre engine. I have only ever seen one Maxxforce engine in a Supernova and it was a 2011 model. My 2010 Supernova is built on a 2007 truck and has a 2005 engine. If you take the vin number to International they can usually tell you everything about the truck.

The Supernova is not perfect, but I love my 6400. The engines do have some issues, just like any other Diesel engine out there. The good news is the issues are well documented and easily managed if you have concerns. Build quality seems to be good in some areas and I simply shake my head when looking at other areas. Fresh, gray and black water capacity are good if you do a lot of dry camping.

In summary, are there better motorhome out there, probably yes. But for the price point and what I use it for the GS Supernova is the best choice for me.

Have fun and enjoy your new RV.

Tim Clay
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #7
mandmtravelers

Thanks - great ideas!
Old 04-08-2019, 06:01 AM   #8
FreedMeister

Default Same model, common issues

We have the same supernova, same year. It's a fine engine, keep oil changed and fuel filters clean. There are some kniwn egr cooler system issues. Get the vt365 and international 4200 manuals online for free. Use your VIN number to get the right one. Rear suspension can be upgraded to air, which I recommend. Use an International dealer for service on the truck portion or do it yourself. Other places are likely to hack the sensitive electronics systems, use wrong spec fluids. This includes trans fluid and even trailer light harnesses. The stock backup camera has an extra input, good for another backup camera set to view the trailer. Yes. The rear view mirrors are big parachutes, and you still can't see enough out of them. I would like to put in side cameras and get rid of the mirrors, so let me know how that goes. The SN is a great truck, with a camper stuck on it that was designed by non-campers, so get ready for valves and switches located where they don't make sense. I've done a lot of rewiring. Current project is a rear window that opens, with a screen. Use a separate GPS system from the stereo. Built-ins are more trouble. We use truck route finder,Waze and the good Sam's route planner on our smart phones and laptop and can share the route between devices, plan route outside of the cab, etc. Oh, make a set of curtains to go behind the drivers cab to keep AC and heat where you want it while driving.
FreedMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
mandmtravelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frutza View Post
Does in dash navigation offer options like Rv Or trucker systems like height and weight or length to give warnings or when routing? I upgrade my GPS more often than my radio
What I'm thinking of doing is adding a 10.3" Android-based head unit in the storage box to the left of the controls/existing radio. The unit will have navigation and can either receive it's own wireless signal or tether to my phone. This will allow me to update the maps regularly and create navigation routes on a laptop or home PC to share with the unit.

Quote:
Do you have an existing camera system? It may have additional inputs? I looked at the Voyager web site and EBay was comparable, but didn't add side cameras because I used one of the inputs for a trailer camera.
I have a backup camera, but not sure of the inputs. I like the idea of having a toad camera, so I might tie the side-view cameras into the new head unit discussed above.

Quote:
Lots of opinions on tires, I went with Toyo and there fine, had I have scaled before I bought tires I might have increased load capacity, other people have used Hancocks, I had them on a work truck and the were very hard compound and that thing was stiff enough! 1st thing to add is pen & paper to make lists as you think of them, make a couple short trips to get the hang of things, remember, a bad day of camping is better than a good day at work!
I had not thought of used tires...the ones I have are about 6 years old and look good, but I've been told repeatedly that the tires need to be replaced every 5 years regardless of appearance...

Though several members of our family own Airstreams, Class As, or 5th wheels, this is literally our first RV. Here's hoping it's as rewarding as it appears!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #10
mandmtravelers

Cool It's been a year to the day!

Since I last posted - wasn't even planned, just thought I would hit up the forum for a question or two and came across my OP!

Finally got the RV around June of 2019. Immediately had to put it in the shop for a couple of months (RV dealers are lying liars). Air compressor for air ride system was half-ass bolted on and came off, as well as a few other issues. Bought the extended warranty, so it paid for itself right away (which is not the norm, I know).

First trip was a doozie - OKC to south of Austin and had to do it in a single day (special circumstances and limited time). Able to make a couple more trips before the season closed down. On the last trip out drove in the rain for the first time. Guess what? Flowing water coming down the front of the cab (behind the backup camera screen) and water in the front passenger-side basement. More on those in a moment:

Despite the issues, LOVE LOVE LOVE the SN. Replaced king bed with custom adjustable twins, replaced headlights, ride is what I expected, so no disappointment there. Got the Garmin RV 780 for nav (can't hear radio in the cab anyway). Ran great on the road and excited to get back out once the social distancing passes.

Replacing interior ceiling lights with custom-made LEDs, going to place dynamat or lizard skin in cab-over and cab floor for noise/heat reduction. Trying to decide if/how to install larger TV for the wife and grandkids. Still haven't got a toad set up.

Now, about the leaks. The RV has sat in the rain before and had no issues (other than the front basement leaking). Once I was driving in the rain, water was pouring down from behind the backup monitor (shorted out the stereo on below). Had the rig stored inside since the last trip with desiccant boxes to dry it out. Before I crawl up on the roof I understand that the marker lights are a common cause. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
SlimTim

[QUOTE= Now, about the leaks. The RV has sat in the rain before and had no issues (other than the front basement leaking). Once I was driving in the rain, water was pouring down from behind the backup monitor (shorted out the stereo on below). Had the rig stored inside since the last trip with desiccant boxes to dry it out. Before I crawl up on the roof I understand that the marker lights are a common cause. Any other ideas?]

Hello Mandmtravelers

I would check the seal between the front cap and the cab of the truck, the front cap to roof joint and the sky window located in the front cap (if your Supernova was equipped with a sky window) in addition to the marker lights.

My Supernova had a leak in the sky window when I purchased it. It appears the fiberglass on the front cap had a small hole around the sky window and water would slowly come inside. The water coming in would collect under the floor in the above cab area and create a pool, and eventually it would start running through the front cap-to-cab retaining bolt holes as well as down the sides of the front cap inside of the motor home. The bad thing was you could not see were the water was coming from because all the water was between the internal walls/floor of the cap and the cap wall. When I pulled it apart to locate the leak the floor in the above cab area was completely rotted out and required replacement.

Good Luck
SlimTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #12
JohnnyAfrica

While you are dealing with water issues.... take a look at the rear Slider motor / encoder . When driving in the rain.... water will come off the rear tires & spray the Slide motor & encoder ... The water will will damage the Encoder & they are becoming hard to find. Building a bigger mud flap that covers the area behind the wheels will solve the problem...
If you want a new Camera system..the RVS system will retro fit & installing side cameras make nice a difference.
I would like to see what you plan to use for replacing the interior Lights.