Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-31-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
trickto322

Default Brand new Tour Master

We have this beautiful Black Beauty sitting in our yard and we let the batteries go dead. The problem is, we do not know how to get it going. We put a charger on it and do not know if its on there right. We tried to "jump" it with our car but have the same problem, where to put the wires? This is very embarrising. We are missing some manuals.
trickto322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
djqualls

Hey,

There is a switch on the panel with the fan and visor switches that has an icon of a battery on it.

Press and hold down on it and it will switch your house batteries over to the starter circuit and give you additional power for starting.

Also check the cutoff switches that are on the side of the door entry to the front to make sure that the batteries are enabled there are two. 1 for the starter and the other for the house.

Lastly, If your generator will start. then start it and make sure your battery charger is on back at the panel where the levels are and let it charge the batteries.

I hope I haven't been to vague on this.

If I can help, PM me with a phone number and I'll try to call you...
Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Brand new Tour Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickto322
We have this beautiful Black Beauty sitting in our yard and we let the batteries go dead. The problem is, we do not know how to get it going. We put a charger on it and do not know if its on there right. We tried to "jump" it with our car but have the same problem, where to put the wires? This is very embarrising. We are missing some manuals.
Welcome to the Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum!

You have been given some good advice from Dave. The switch on the dash with the battery on it will connect your house batteries together with the chassis batteries to give you power to start the engine UNLESS the house batteries are dead also.

Did you verify that the battery disconnect switches are on? On mine there are two battery disconnect switches in the compartment on the right rear of the coach. I usually turn these off if the coach is going to set even for a couple of days so the batteries do not discharge.

You can run a 110 volt cord to the coach and plug it in just as you would when at a cg and the inverter or converter depending on what you have in the coach will charge your coach batteries.

As far as hooking a battery charger to your chassis(engine) batteries. Hook the positive charger clip to the positive of one of the batteries and hook the negative of the charger to the negative of the same battery. This will charge both batteries since they are connected together. Make sure these are the chassis/engine batteries and they are the 12 volt batteries. On our coach the house batteries are 6 volt batteries, not sure about yours.

Let us know how you make out,

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
trickto322

we will go out first thing in the morning and try these suggestions and will get back to y'all. The time change is killing us. By time you get started on a project its dark.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

Congratulations on the MoHo. Welcome to the forum. I think you have received very good advice and I can not add anything to that except good luck with it. Enjoy your new rig and the forum. I look forward to reading your posts. Happy Camping.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
trickto322

we put a slow charge on the starting batteries (they are labled) which were dead as dead can be and nothing else was working. After 12 hrs. we got it started. We are missing the Frieghtliner manual and because of this we have no idea what the switches do or even which batteries do what (thanks for the tip on the toggle switch with the battery on it). We called Frieghtliner and they told us when the unit left them the manuals were there. we should call the dealer. We called the dealer and they did not call us back, not a good thing. So from time to time we will be asking some questions that might sound stupid, until we get our manuel and get used to this new learning experience.
Johnnie & Adrian
Old 11-04-2006, 01:10 AM   #7
djqualls

This may not be all of the information you need, but it is start.

Hope it helps

Link to Freightliner Website
http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/mhHome.asp
General Brochure on GS utilized XC Chasis
http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/pdf/ ... 8-2006.pdf

92 Page Manual on the XC Chasis
https://secure.freightliner.com/newbull ... Manual.pdf
Old 11-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
we put a slow charge on the starting batteries (they are labled) which were dead as dead can be and nothing else was working. After 12 hrs. we got it started. We are missing the Frieghtliner manual and because of this we have no idea what the switches do or even which batteries do what (thanks for the tip on the toggle switch with the battery on it). We called Frieghtliner and they told us when the unit left them the manuals were there. we should call the dealer. We called the dealer and they did not call us back, not a good thing. So from time to time we will be asking some questions that might sound stupid, until we get our manuel and get used to this new learning experience.
Johnnie & Adrian

Glad to hear that you were able to get the engine started and the batteries charged. Dave has given you some good links with lots of information.

I would keep after the dealer to get all the owners manuals that should have been in the coach from Freightliner on the chassis, engine and Allison transmission.

Was the big silver/gray packet folder in the coach with all the coach information/manuals for the coach components (appliances, A/C, furnace, toilet, Tv's, ETC) in it? This packet is about 4" thick jammed full of literature.

There are no stupid questions and we are all here to help each other. So ask away, we all will help if we can, we have all been there.

Ron
Old 11-04-2006, 04:49 PM   #9
trickto322

The big silver packet was in the coach however all the material inside was all over the place. I found stuff in different cabinets, in the fridge, the oven, not the ones that go to that appliance. I think the service people at the dealership were using them and just put everthing back. THANKS for all the info and the links are great.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
trickto322

DJQUALLS, was that 92 page manual that you linked me to the same one you got with your unit? Did you get a manual for the motor, tranny, tires, and dashboard separate? We don't really know what we are missing. We do have a bunch however the ones we really need are gone or never existed. Its funny because I am not big on reading directions but this thing is impossible to figure out on your own.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
djqualls

Quote:
DJQUALLS, was that 92 page manual that you linked me to the same one you got with your unit? Did you get a manual for the motor, tranny, tires, and dashboard separate? We don't really know what we are missing. We do have a bunch however the ones we really need are gone or never existed. Its funny because I am not big on reading directions but this thing is impossible to figure out on your own.
I have a manuals for c-7 engine. XC chasis and Allison Transmission. I have info on the tires as well as many of the components like jacks, hvac, Water heater, Sat Dish, and other stuff. My coach is still in Elkhart at Mastertech but is is now ready to pickup as of today.

When I get the coach back I can detail out to you...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
RJ82much

Welcome Johnnie & Adrian!

The information provided is SUPERB! I'll merely summerize the steps I would (do) go through in the event of power problems:

1. Always check that both disconnects are "on". I hear a "chirp" from somewhere when I click mine on (one of the bulbs has failed).

2. Next, get your generator running. The assumption is that the house batteries are dead also (or will be). The generator will charge the house battery. Pressing the "battery" switch on the dash before the generator is running can discharge the house battery. Then the generator can't be started either. If you can't start the generator, you must provide shore power, even if merely 120 volt AC/ 20 amp in order to charge those batteries.

3. The next step (with the generator still running) would be the dash mounted battery switch, held for a little while.

4. Next would be the ignition to start your engine, which will rapidly recharge the engine battery. I would let go of the dash battery switch once your engine is running.

Note 1: Under certain conditions (& equipment), the engine charging system will automatically recharge the house batteries &/or vice-versa. I don't count on that however, because there are logic conditions involved that are undocumented in the GS literature.

Note 2: There is a condition that I have never heard discussed, but which just happened to me. You need to understand the wiring between your toad and your MH. My towing wiring was installed by a NON-GS service center, but likely wouldn't have mattered. When I stop for the night, the Apollo brake equipment continues to drain my auto battery. Also, the ashtray lamp apparently remains illuminated because of the cord. Bottom line is that in 2 days of travel, my car is stone dead. I had paid the dealer to install a 7-pin connector so that a battery charge circuit was available between car & MH, but it didn't work. He failed to provide a ground between both chassis. (The tail light circuits on the toad are independant, powered separately from the MH when activated). The purpose of the battery charge circuit was to make up for the brake system power usage. I thought it would be a good idea, if done correctly.

To temporarily correct the problem of the non-starting auto engine, I connected my jumper cable between both chassis to complete that missing ground circuit, & went to sleep. In the morning, I still couldn't start the car, plus the MH engine battery was too low to start the MH engine. Thankfully, the generator was running. I preessed the battery button. The MH engine was able to come to life, & after a short wait, the car battery was charged enough to start that engine.

Lesson learned: Your toad power system can be either your friend or your enemy depending on what is connected & how.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
GStream40
Site Team

Here is the link to Allison Transmission site where you can download the 3000 series owners manual. It is a PDF file/Adobe Reader and it takes some time to download on a dial up connection.

After you download it, don't forget to click on "Save" to save it to your puter.

Allison 3000 Series Owners Manual:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/publ ... 3349EN.jsp

Ron
Old 11-09-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
RJ82much

Holy Cow, Ron, you're up to 321 posts! I'm afraid I must concede.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 PM   #15
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
Holy Cow, Ron, you're up to 321 posts! I'm afraid I must concede.
Now don't expect a speech like the canidates did at the election win.

Also, don't expect me to slow down or stop. I just love to share my experiences with everyone and I have a lot of opinions.

Ron
Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #16
WE B RVN

Thanks Ron for all of your posts

Not just myself but lots of us on this forum are lucky that you enjoy sharing information and researching problems. And taking time to add the links is a blessing for me. I still work every day and have rental property too. My time is very limited, and I just can't spend the time researching info. I have no manuals for chassis, engine, or transmission. As soon as I have time I will use your links and try to get them, if available for our 1997 model year.

Thanks,
WE B RVN
Kevin
WE B RVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:17 AM   #17
GStream40
Site Team

Thanks Kevin, but really it doesn't take me that long to usually find the links to research some problems.

Most of the answers are already on some of the other RV forums that I belong to and read on a daily basis.

But like you pointed out, I am retired and have more time on my hands than many do so I keep myself busy by doing what I can to help.

I think this forum is great for Gulf Stream owners and I want to keep it active and growing. I just wish that we could get Gulf Stream Coach involved. But that is never going to happen until the petition is completed and that issue can be put to rest.

Ron