Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #1
amybrian630

Default First TT purchase!

My husband and I are purchasing our first TT - a used 2010 Innsbruck 298dbs. The price was $15,900 but it was dropped to $10,900 and the dealer's explanation was that they are consolidating two dealerships and they want to move trailers. We looked at a few comparable trailers and this one is definitly the most clean, spacious and fits our needs with the kids but also was the least expensive one. Which leads me to have many questions and I am hoping someone can help (in NJ there is no required inspection). The dealer is selling as is and of course there is no warranty that we know of. I have a call into GS to ask if we can purchase one. But - here are a few questions - (and all of my inforamtion comes from reading the internet - we have no knowledge of TT's or how they work).

1. The monitoring system panel was taken out. There are only wires in its place and the dealer is ordering us a new panel. Is this a red flag? Why would the previous owner have taken the panel out? I understand this monitors the tanks and if the tanks are not properly cleaned or maintained, the panels can give a false reading.

2. There is some white tape on the slide out in both corners - there is NO evidence of leaks and we checked the roof of the slide out and it looks ok. We also checked some of the other TT slide outs on the lot - and no others had tape. It was just a strip or two on each corner. Again, is there something else I should look for? The dealer did show us that the front of the TT is usually where you will see leaks - and we did NOT see evidene of any.

3. The smoke detector is also missing - why would someone take that?? Maybe its with the monitoring system!

4. We need to purchase sewer hoses - I'm ok with that. New clean ones will be better that someone old dirty ones I guess.

5. The dealer said in NJ there is a required LP test that they will do. At that time, they said the will test the heat. The air conditioning and fridge was turned on for us before we arrived to look at the TT so we know that works.

If anyone has any other suggestions of things we should look at, it would be appreciated. Thanks!!
I have added the link below to the trailer we are purchasing - copy and paste to your browser if you can help us with any of the above.

http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Gu ... rsn=hybrid
amybrian630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
tinapetel

Default Re: First TT purchase!

3. The smoke detector is also missing - why would someone take that?? Maybe its with the monitoring system!

The smoke detectors can be annoying, toasters, cooking and other things set them off. Possibly the former owners (foolishly) removed the it.
BE SURE TO HAVE A FUNCTIONING SMOKE DETECTOR IN YOUR RV BEFORE YOU BUY IT.

4. We need to purchase sewer hoses - I'm ok with that. New clean ones will be better that someone old dirty ones I guess.

Do not scrimp on the sewer hose. Get the best, like RhinoFLEXâ„¢ or Camco. From experience,
I can tell you this is not a piece of equipment that you want to fail or leak!!

Buy a transparent, short section of pipe to put on the end of the hose towards your trailer, so you can verify the functioning of the sewer dump. You will see these in the same area of the store as the sewer hoses.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
tinapetel

Default Re: First TT purchase!

It does look like a nice trailer for the price. Suggest you have an experienced RV technician inspect it for you.