Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
03heritagerider

Default Rig won't run

I posted a problem a couple of weeks ago under the subject "Trouble Starting Rig" and got some advice.

Problem: Batteries were weak so I put them on a charger. Rig started right up, but after 20-30 seconds shut down. All dash lights out.
Turned key off and tried to restart, but nothing.

Waited 30 minutes to try again. Same result...started then shut down.

Advice given was to change fuel filter and batteries.
Did both today. Same result...Started on first try then ran about 20 seconds and shut down. Dash lights out. No action when turning key off then on again.

Any ideas?
Old 12-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
melmapop

Default Re: Rig won't run

This sounds serious! At this point to keep the $$$down I would call your local Freightliner shop to see what your options are to get your rig to them. They have the computer diagnostics systems to figure this out. Otherwise you will be tring any number of things for big bucks to solve this problem.
Don't envy you, best of luck.
Steve
melmapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
GStream40
Site Team

A few months ago, I started my MH engine and it ran for about a minute then shut down, lights on the dash came on and message center said "No Data from ECU", The engine would not start.
I called th Freightliner "Help" line and talked to the tech rep. He gave me several things to check on the coach. After checking everything he said and several phone conversations with him.
I finally drove over to Ohio CAT which is about 8 miles from my home and talked to the service manager. He said it sounded like something simple, but they would need to hook their computer
to the engine to find the problem.
So I made an appointment and called the Good Sam Road Service which I have. On the morning of the appointment the biggest damn tow truck I have ever seen showed up at my storage lot
and hooked up to my coach to tow it to Ohio CAT.
After we got it there, the tech hooked their computer up to the rear computer port, they could not get the ECM to talk to the computer. The tech told me he needed to get right to the engine to hook
directly to the ECM.
So I took the mattress off the bed, removed the bracket that needed to removed at the foot of the bed and removed the cedar chest lid and tray insert so that we could remove the screws that hold the
covers over the engine. The tech then was able to connect directly to the ECM.
Well the ECM was completely shot!
To make a long story short, $2650.00 later, I had a new ECM ($1750) and an engine that purrs like a kitten once again.

But it sounds like your engine is loosing a power connection. If the power is lost to the ECM the engine will shut down. Since you were working under the coach in the area where the wiring ground from
the battery to the frame connects, Did you check your ground connections at the frame? Follow the negative battery wire from the battery to the frame and any other ground connections to find the
ground connections. I would remove the connections and clean them real good, then reinstall.

That is the first thing I would do.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #4
03heritagerider

Thanks Ron.

I'll try your suggestions. I'm not sure a tow truck can get the rig out of my driveway. I live in an urban setting and when I back down I have about 6 inches on either side between my house and the neighbor's wall. Then It takes 3 swings to jockey it between the curbs on the street.

I'm praying it isn't something that requires a tow.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #5
RayChez1

I had a similar problem like that one time and what I found out was that the ignition switch was pulling off the back and it was like the switch would turn the engine off. I then pushed the back of the switch inward and secured it. Never had that problem again.
But it happened to me when I pulled over at Baker, Ca on the side of there main street. So it would not do it while at a stand still, but once it would start rolling and hit any little bump the engine would die right away and no dash lights or anything. So that is when I figured that it seemed like the switch was being turned off. So I found the problem in just a few minutes.

Maybe you should check your ignition switch. It is not that hard to take it out from the dash.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:33 AM   #6
03heritagerider

Ray,

I'm on two other RV forums and the leading suspect seems to be the ignition. I'll be looking at that first.

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-17-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Frutza

Here's something to look at, with your test light, check your ignition switch, with the key off find your batterry connection, then turn the key to acc, id that wire and then the ignition side, there may be more than one battery or ignition wires, that should eliminate most terminals to make it easier to find the crank wire, then start the coach, wait for it to die and make a comparision, your crank wire shouldnt go thru the
Ecm, I think, but may be interlocked thru something that does, try that and see were it gets you, Good luck, may be slow responding with the holidays and all but hang in there
Mike
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
Frutza

One more thing you could try, how big is your battery charger? You could try leaving it charge the batteries while the rig is running, that could eliminate a few things
Mike
Old 12-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
03heritagerider

O.K. guys. I talked to the mechanic that does the State inspections. He made me do a couple of things and he is almost positive that it is the "Main Ignition Relay". I called the local Feightliner dealer and had to order the part. It won't be in until Friday.

The mechanic said the relay should be under the dash and labeled (He's a truck mechanic and not familiar with layout on Motor Homes). He said when I get the part, just replace it and he's pretty sure it will be O.K.

Now, here is where I need some help. I looked under the dash and I see nothing that says "Main Ignition Relay". So I went to the outside compartment under the driver's seat. There are several relays under there that simply say "RELAY". There are also two covered relay/fuse blocks with labels inside the covers. Inside one, it identifies an "Ignition Relay" and in the other it identifies an "Ignition 2 Relay". I don't think these are the ones because they are simple plug in, cube style relays. When I ordered the relay from Freightliner using the VIN, the parts guy said that it may be different than the original equipment one and it might require that it be mounted differently. So that tells me it's probably not one of the plug in relays.

There is also another block mounted to the wall that says "Bi-Directional Isolator Relay Delay Diesel" (see photo below).

The question is...are any of these the "MAIN IGNITION RELAY"?

If you know how to identify it, or where it may be located, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay.jpg (39.8 KB, 2804 views)
Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #10
Frutza

No, thats a charging relay, your relays should be in the front left storage and the right rear
Mike
Old 12-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
03heritagerider

O.K. Final chapter in this saga....

Ordered the Main Ignition Relay from local Freightliner dealer. Part was to come in today sometime after 3:00 p.m. My last question was how do I find this relay. No one seemed to be able to point me to it. It was not in either of the outside compartments. So I called Gulf Stream today to see if someone there could tell me where to look. Gulf Stream referred me to the Freightliner 800 number in Gafney, SC.

I had the absolute pleasure of speaking with Steve. I asked him if he could help me locate this mysterious breaker. He took my VIN and started to look it up then asked me what the problem was. I explained, and his response was "Oh, we're gonna fix this for you right now".

He directed me to a plate attached to the frame by the transmission. On that plate were three sets of terminal connections. He directed me to the one furthest to the rear and had me describe it. He said it was a 135 amp breaker. He then told me to remove the cables from the terminals and clamp them together and try to start the rig. BAM! Started right up and KEPT RUNNING!

So I called the local Freightliner dealer again to get the part. Not in stock, but if they ordered it in the next 6 minutes, it will be here Thursday. We're supposed to be leaving on Thursday! He said I could have it overnighted and it would be here tomorrow but it would be $35.00 for overnight service. I agreed to the additional charge and it will be here tomorrow. The kicker is...the part is only $20.00.

Well, all is good again in the world. I can put the dash back together and install the part tomorrow. Then I can start my Christmas Shopping

Thanks again to all of you for your guidance and support. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a safe, healthy New Year!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
GStream40
Site Team

I am really happy to hear that the great guys at Freightliner support were able to diagnose your problem and point you to it in short order.

Now you can have a Merry Christmas and happy travels!!!

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote