Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
harwilli

Default BT Cruiser Electical Problem

In February this year we got our first RV. It is a 2009 BT Cruiser MB, Model #5234 on a 2007 Freightliner Sprinter chassis with a Mercedes diesel engine. So far, we have been very pleased with it. We are planning a three week trip out west in June.

This is the problem. Last week, I had a 30 amp outlet installed outside our house by a licensed electrician. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to us the electrician installed 220v outlet instead of 110. You probably know what happened when I plugged it in. Fortunately, the breakers appear to have prevented any damage to the refrigerator, AC, or microwave. However, after taking it out yesterday for an overnight to a campground, we do have some serious problems that need to be fixed. From reading online, I suspect the "converter" is damaged and probably the house battery. We have no power to the TV or Sirius. The AC and refrigerator work fine off the generator and did for several hours on the power at the campground then the AC cut off and the refrigerator as well. If I start the engine, they recover, but not for long.

We are new to RVing. Since getting RV, I have learned there are many variations among RVs. To some technicians that have done limited work on our RV, it's seems like a new learning experience for them. I need to get it looked at and get it fixed correctly as soon as I can. We live in Naples, Florida, but I'm willing to take it anywhere in South Florida if there is someone reliable and knows what they are doing. I have had some minor work done at Camping World in Ft Myers. I'm not sure I want to go there for this. I haven't been to Naples RV Center as yet. Has someone had any experience with them?

Does anyone have any recommendations on someone/someplace who does a good job with electrical problems on a vehicle like ours? Any suggestion would be welcomed.

Thanks.

Harold Williams
[email protected]
239-877-1604
harwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Ed D

Default Re: BT Cruiser Electical Problem

My God thats a nightmare, Why would electrician assume you wanted a 220 outlet in a 110 system? Chances are you are correct and fried your inverter and possible anything that protection couldnt save. Chances are if you have inverter replaced you will be good and wont be to bad.When your battery goes dead its because thats your only sorce which applicances are drawing power from and inverter is not able to recharge it. When you drive alternator is recharging battery and yes that will last a short time as well.
Try Camping world for a suggested place to go and get it fixed, I dont think, but dont know how deep they get into electrical systems and repairs but thats a start. If you a Good Sam Rv club member contact them and see if they can suggest a place they have a lot of contacts.
Sorry to hear this. I do work in electrical on Rvs but it really is a basic understanding of basic electrical houshold wiring on them and cant imagine why he would wire outlet as a 220 for you. I would love to hear his reasons. Good Luck
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
harwilli

Default Re: BT Cruiser Electical Problem

Thanks, Ed, for the reply. The worst appears to be over. I think we found a good place for repairs. Upon a recommendation, we used RV Tech in Fort Myers. As suspected, the converter had to be replaced. The TV also didn't make it, but the biggest expense was the awning motor. It also had to be replaced. We took it out this weekend and everything seems to be fine. We used a reputable electric company that we had done business with for years and are seeking compensation from them.
harwilli is offline   Reply With Quote