Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
darbyjudy

Default Installing TV converter in 2004 Sunvoyager

Having a bit of a problem trying to figure out how to install the TV Converter into my 2004 Sunvoyager. The sunvoyager I have has the center cabinet where all of the components are located in the middle of the coach. I know that I have to install this converter between the incoming TV line and the TV but where in the heck do I pick up this incoming TV line. I know I could do a lot of work and axcess the rear of the TV to get to it but then the converter would have to be mounted in the front of the coach. Would be nice to have all of the components in one place. I was thinking maybe one of you also have the same setup and would have an answer for me.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
gbarngrover

Default DTV converter box

I have a 2007 Independence, the tv components are in a cabinet above the sofa. The control that you turn on the power (12V) to the antenna should have coxial cables on the back of it. There are different styles but mine is mounted on a switch plate. I took the plate loose and out of the wall and on the back are coxial cables. Mine had 3 cables and it was marked on the back of the plate what they were for.
One is antenna.
Two is cable. Three is out to TV'S.
If you only have two cables it is probably antenna and out to tv but you need to confirm which one is out to TV's. Don't connect the one that goes to the antenna to the converter box.
Anyway you need to disconnect the one that goes out to the TV'S and connect it to the converter box connection that is marked to the TV. Then connect a coxial cable from the connector that you removed the coxial cable from on the control and run it to the converter box antenna in.
I drilled 2 holes in the switch plate and put 2 coxial cable unions thru the switch plate, connected the cables on the back side and put the plate back on the wall, connected 2 short calbes from the union half on the face of the plate and ran to the converter box. Hope this helps.
gbarngrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #3
Dapper Dan

Send a message via ICQ to Dapper Dan Send a message via AIM to Dapper Dan Send a message via MSN to Dapper Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Dapper Dan
Default convertor box hook up

My coach has three cables, antenna, cable & booster hooked to the booster plate along with two power wires installed in the center cabinet. How do you install the convertor box? I would assume the booster cable is going to the TV's or is the one marked antenna going to the TV's or which cable does the antenna feed ? In any case, I guess you have to southern engineer this! I e-mail GS twice but they failed to answer.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
gbarngrover

Mine had 3 cables hooked to the booster plate also but were marked antenna, cable & TV. The TV is the one I connected to the converter.
On yours it should be the one marked booster.
If you have a voltmeter take the antenna cable off and stick one probe in the center where the cable was attached and the other probe to ground (on outside touch the threads).
The one going to the antenna will have voltage, I think it is 12 volt.
There shouldn't be any voltage going to the TV.
Hope this helps.
I was suprised the reception has improved a lot with the converter box, I get good reception on channels that were not clear before installing.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #5
gbarngrover

I missed the part in your message about the 2 power wires in the cabinet, are they coax cable? What are they hooked to?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Dapper Dan

Send a message via ICQ to Dapper Dan Send a message via AIM to Dapper Dan Send a message via MSN to Dapper Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Dapper Dan

The two wire are black and white which I believe to be power for the booster. They could be 110 or 12 volts?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
gbarngrover

Ok, I forgot about power to the booster plate, they are 12v.
The only thing that is confussing is one is marked booster. on mine it was marked TV. I would think antenna means to the antenna so the logical one would be the booster. Do you have a voltmeter?
With the booster turned on the coxial cable going to the antenna will have some voltage probably 12v. The one to the tv will not have little or no reading.
Disconnect the coxial cable on the booster plate marked booster and connect a short coxial cable to the booster plate, touch the wire coming out of the cable with one of the meter probes and touch the other probe to the metal nut. if no reading this should be the one, you connect it to the converter box antenna in and the loose cable you disconnected from the booster plate connect to out to tv from converter box.
Make sure the meter works first just touch the two power wires to the booster, should read about 12v.