Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
RayChez1

Default Replacing a slideout topper

While camping in northern California I had a camp spot right next to a lake and giant redwood trees. A squirrel decided to drop a big green pine cone on top of my topper awning ripping it to where I have to replace the fabric. Have any of you guys or gals ever replaced a slideout topper. I am talking about the material only which I believe is vinyl.

I would like to replace them on both of my slides. The old toppers have a metal jacket that wraps around the vinyl to protect it from the sun. I was wondering if I order the vinyl only if the bead slides into that metal jacket or do I have to replace the whole thing.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Replacing a slideout topper

I will up date you Gulf Stream owners on how easy or hard it was to install the toppers over the slides. Saw a video on how to install one, and it does not look to hard. I have not received the material yet.

Ray
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
RayChez1

Follow up on installing a slide topper awning. It took me and my wife about two hours to remove and install the new awning material. I followed the instructions out of goggle video step by step.

The most important thing is to pull the slide out about half way. Two people can grab the cylinder and back it against the spring about half a turn and drive two allen wrenches through the hole in the end of the awning cylinder. That locks the spring. Then I removed it, laid it on my lawn, removed the old material. Sprayed the channel with silicone lubricant, and slide the new material on. Then just slide it back into place and apply the screws to secure it. Remove the two allen wrenches that were holding the spring, and walla it is done. Saved myself probably around three hundred dollars.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Chuck v

Ray,

Great info and helps the rest of us muster the courage to try it ourselves if we should need to replace one -- thanks for posting!

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
pjj911

Ray,
Thank you!! I am new RV'er. I need all three slide toppers replaced. and this is very helpful and encouraging. I am single female, have one traveling friend from time to time but can get help to do this. Are you saying about 2 hours for each topper?

Want to try and change oil my self also. Any hints here?

I have been searching forum for information on engine block heaters, on/off switch because my engine block stays pretty heated and I have not turned anything on. Finally found it yesterday - it is plugged into an outlet in the inverter basement door. Unplugged it and all is fine now.

Need to search now on slide bottom repair. I have one slide kind of screaching when it slides out and looked underneath it last nite. It has been taped by the previous (1 only) owner with som silver tape (not Duct but more silvery) that is being chewed up in the in/out operation. Floor seems to be saggin a little.

I am so grateful to have found you,

JeanneJ
2003 38.9. Gulfstream Friendship Trio
no Toad yet (possibly '97 Chrysler Sebring Conv)
None yet
pjj911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
pgirardet

See this post in Class A
Slide in Bedroom Problem
by mark2line » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 am
Allison Trans.
2010 Honda Fit Blue OX tow Bar
pgirardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
03heritagerider

We replaced the fabric on two of our toppers.

I opened the slide all the way, then took a box wrench and put it over the tab that sticks out at the end of the roller tube. I then maneuvered it to unwind the roller until the slide channel was visible (you may need to use two wrenches for leverage). I left the wrench on the tab and against the slide to hold the roller in that position, thus maintaining the proper spring tension.

The channels on both the roller tube and the topper cover were crimped to keep the fabric in place, so I used a screwdriver to pry them open and slid the fabric out. This takes two people. One on a ladder to pull the fabric from the roller tube and one on the roof to pull the fabric from the topper cover.

We went to Jo-Ann Fabrics and bought some canvas material to match the patio awning (ours was brownish tan).
We laid the old fabric in the driveway and used it to make a pattern for the new one and removed the rubber spline from the hems on both ends.

The wife bought some heavy duty needles for the sewing machine and stitched the hem all around the fabric. We slid the rubber spline into the ends before closing the seam.

I then laid the fabric in the driveway and saturated it with tent waterproofing spray.

When it was dry, we slid the fabric back into the channels. Crimped the ends. Then began to unwind the roller. Done!

We'll be doing the two toppers on the other side this fall.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
11B

pgirardet Any chance you can give us a clickie to the link you mentioned above? I've looked high and low for it with no luck.
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj911
Ray,
Thank you!! I am new RV'er. I need all three slide toppers replaced. and this is very helpful and encouraging. I am single female, have one traveling friend from time to time but can get help to do this. Are you saying about 2 hours for each topper?

Want to try and change oil my self also. Any hints here?

I have been searching forum for information on engine block heaters, on/off switch because my engine block stays pretty heated and I have not turned anything on. Finally found it yesterday - it is plugged into an outlet in the inverter basement door. Unplugged it and all is fine now.

Need to search now on slide bottom repair. I have one slide kind of screaching when it slides out and looked underneath it last nite. It has been taped by the previous (1 only) owner with som silver tape (not Duct but more silvery) that is being chewed up in the in/out operation. Floor seems to be saggin a little.

I am so grateful to have found you,

JeanneJ
2003 38.9. Gulfstream Friendship Trio
no Toad yet (possibly '97 Chrysler Sebring Conv)
None yet

JeanneJ, The best I can tell you is to get on internet explorer and then into Goggle search. Type: RV slide toppers. My coach has Dometic awnings toppers. So then you scroll down on Goggle to where it says: RV Slide out Topper awning Replacement Fabric Installation. That will open the website for Tough Topper Awnings replacement fabrics. Look the website over and you will see the prices, how to measure for ordering the material, and it has a video on how to install it. My awning toppers have the metal covers that come with Dometic awnings. I done mine a little different then the video. I slide the metal out of the guide which slid out real easy once I removed the screw holding it on the end of the guide. I followed the instructions as it is pointed out on the video and YES it took me and my wife about two hours to pin the springs, remove the screws, and we lowered it down all the way where we laid it on the lawn. Slid the old material off and reapplied the new material.

But JeanneJ, you will need some help. One person is too hard to handle, especially if it is a big slide.

We bought the awning material already made, so that was not a problem for us doing any sewing.

I will say that you have to be a little mechanical inclined. I am not sure if you are. But be sure to pin the spring on both ends of the roller tube. After you slide the slide out about halfway, two people will force the spring tube by turning it until the hole lines up to where you can drive a small long ellen wrench through the holes. The spring tension will hold the wrench in place. Then you can start unscrewing the hold down screws that hold the awning.

But I would suggest looking that video over several times before you attempt anything.

Good luck Ray.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
pgirardet

I just copied " Slide in Bedroom Problem " put in the Search box up on the right side of the page and click on the search button. The search finds that phrase and at the bottom of that page is the article.
Allison Trans.
2010 Honda Fit Blue OX tow Bar
pgirardet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgirardet
I just copied " Slide in Bedroom Problem " put in the Search box up on the right side of the page and click on the search button. The search finds that phrase and at the bottom of that page is the article.

NO! This guy is talking about a different thing all together. He is not talking about a slide topper on top of the slide. He is talking about a cover to the bottom of the slide. If you want to read the article he is talking about just go to class A and scroll back to I believe it is page 6. Just look for the date and the name. It is there, but it has nothing to do with the OP.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
RayChez1

Type on the URL: www.Toughtopawnings.com
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 08-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Frutza

On replacing the topper it is a two person operation, on mine there's an arm that is 90deg to the roller, I slide the slide out put a vise grip on the arm and ran the slide back in like 3/4 of the way, when installing the new one, put a piece of electricial tape on the inside of the channel and let it lay to the outside to cover the sharp edges, a little silicone or dish soap helps here also, the small slide is pretty easy and of course the super slide is harder, did find the toppers on Ebay but they seem to have better prices in the off month's, I hope your roller doesnt turn into Pandora's box, dont like the way Gulf stream seals that
Old 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
johno02

Where did you get your new awning material?? I am goint to have to replace both topper awnings, and am not overly fond of Dometic.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Frutza

I got mine from Shadepro, off Ebay, but, if you can wait till winter and you'll save about 40%