Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Texas TC

Default Optima Batteres? (Copied from Class C Forum)

I have 49 months on my original house batteries and they are getting weak. So.....it is time to make a change. I am considering going to Optima maintenance free batteries. They cost considerably more than standard wet batteries but are supposed to last longer. My only concern is that the converter/charger on the SuperNova charges consistently. It is not a smart charger that cuts off when the battery has obtained maximum strength. On my wet batteries, the charger would simply boil out the water. I added a pump system to the original batteries that made it easy to fill but they required water at least once per month.

I don't mind spending the money to get a better battery but would hate to ruin them by over-charging.

Has anyone used Optima maintenance free batteries with the standard converter/charger? Any feedback would be appreciated to help me make my decision.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Timothy

Default Re: Optima Batteres? (Copied from Class C Forum)

What type of converter do you have? If it's progressive Dynamics you can add the charge wizard to make it a smart charger, that what I did with my 04 Canyon Trail. My new trailer had the charge wizard built into the converter.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
RayHarkness

Default Re: Optima Batteres? (Copied from Class C Forum)

I went through the same situation..What to replace with. I looked at TROJANS as being the best out there..used them on our boat before. Did some research...Trojans were made by Johnson Control. Started putting my pen to paper and figured costs. I have 4 in our motorhome. I saw other posting that people were purchasing Exide Batteries at Sams Club. I went to Sams, and found them at a very very reasonable cost. Had used Interstate before, but they did not cut it. Do NOT like Interestate..(sorry Interstate) I found these Exide Golf Cart Batteries to really work good. and I save a ton of money. Oh..I had to join Sams Club, but was way ahead of the game. Sounds like you have charger problems, so may not want to put a high end battery in there at this time. Overcharging will eat them right up....

just my thoughts... pays to shop around.I also searched posting on this type of thing, and got ideas from others. Pay to look at what other folks experiences are...R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote