Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
akeller156

Default Satellite TV jack

We just purchased a 2018 6280. This model has an external jack for cable/satellite TV. Inside there are 2 jacks - one for antenna and another for cable/satellite. I would have thought that the external jack would connect to the cable/satellite internal jack. I was hoping that with this configuration that I could hook my tailgater to the external connection to the cable/satellite internal jack and bypass the splitters but I guess I can't so I have to run the tailgater wire thru the window.

While I was at an RV park with cable, I connected the cable to the external port and had to use the antenna internal port (with the amplifier turned off) to get the TV to work. If I connected to the internal cable / satellite port I did not get any channels.

Am I missing something here, or did they wire this wrong?
akeller156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
Restorium

Mine is the same way although she is quite a bit older than yours. I ran the wire up through the doghouse and under the dash, then up inside the windshield trim to the box in a cabinet I built just for the box and dvd player. At least it's all my own installation and it's easy for me to troubleshoot, less cable.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #3
Frutza

Mine is older also, but, there are two ant jacks , mine are in the power cord bay, one is satellite one is cable, behind the Tv there is 2 jacks, one is ant/cable the other is Sat, if using the ant/cable on cable you have to turn off the amplifier to have cable the sat cord is direct but only goes there as the ant/cable also goes to the bedroom and I think theres a port in the belly
Old 10-13-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Restorium

Anyone use a regular dish? I've been running satellite with the motorhome since before the tailgater was available. It's tricky to line up but it's an addicting challenge and a lot cheaper than the tailgater.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
akeller156

Thank you both for the replies. I see only 1 external jack. i may just do like Restorium and snake my own line up to the tv via the doghouse. But also since this is new and under warranty I may just bring it in and have the look at it or at least try to explain their logic to me. Also, I used to use a regular dish but lining it up became a challenge. The tailgater is expensive for the hardware, but once bought it is under $50 monthly subscription that you can start and stop as needed. So since we do tend to travel for 4 months straight this works out good for us. For the shorter trips I can survive with OTA tv.
akeller156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
Restorium

Sounds like a good idea to ask the dealer about it.

You get the same monthly deal with the regular dish as the tailgater. Turn it on and off a month at a time. I have two noses for the dish so I have choices as to where I point in the sky between the two different satellite arc configurations. I notice with my brothers tailgater that it must have only one eye because you can hear it move when you change stations. Someday I will get a tailgater but for now I enjoy my love/hate relationship with the ******** manual dish.

Tags
satellite, tailgater