Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
rheevs

Default Endura sagging awning

Well I found another little problem I need to whine about. On the first trips with the rig I noticed the awning had a sag in the middle. I just chalked it up to being a 16 footer and I was used to a 12 footer, but after looking around the campgrounds no one else's awning sag. I noticed the drum seemed to have a bend in the middle thus the sag. So off to the dealer, the dealer said there is nothing wrong. The problem was the drum material is light (cheaper) than some other awnings (thanks GS) there was nothing he could do. I guess my next step is to take a picture and Email it to the awning manufacturer. Has any one noticed this sagging awning problem? Also has any one had any problems with the gas props on the inside cabinet doors? Two out three snapped right off. By the way the trany issue is not completly solved yet, still had a little blow by on the last trip. So I guess I'll take it right to chevy from thr RV dealer.Good thing there is alot going on at home to much shop time not enough camp time.
Good Luck

2005 Endura 6378 Gasser:
36' / 3 Slides
Toads?
2 Yahama Zuma's
rheevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
RJ82much

Hi Rheevs,

First, I don't consider your posts to be "whines".. merely reports on problems.

My original-equipment awning does NOT sag. I think it would be a good idea to send that photo to A&E(?) & report that GS says this is normal because of the "LIGHT (cheap)" materials used. I'm sure the response might be interesting & I'd guess a replacement will be made by someone.

One of my cabinet "gas props" broke right off. The dealership replaced it on warrantee. These struts are extremely stiff & all plastic; not surprising they break.

I'm wondering what you mean by "tranny blowby". I missed your post describing the problem. I'm asking because on my 1st trip out with my toad, I noticed oily spots all over the hood & windshield. It was very hot on the trip. I felt it was most likely from the Chevy Workhorse or transmission rather than "road splash". My dealer said "all was well, nothing wrong". Damn, they sure are experts.

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 06:23 AM   #3
rheevs

Default trany story

Bob
Okay here is the story.
Coming home from the USGP (which was a farce due to Michelin tire fiasco BOOO michelin) Monday traveling through SE Wisconson. My Son was driving aprox 70 we had been on the road 6-7 hours with a short stop for breakfast. Smoke was coming out the back of the motorhome. I thought is was the Generator on fire, so after stopping and carefully opening the gen compartment no fire. Then while inspecting the vehical we noticed somthing dripping on the exaust( the smoke ). I checked the oil and it was OK so we limped 30-40 mph to the next exit where I determined the fluid to be tranny fluid. Checked the fluid and added 2 quarts to bring it to the correct level on the dip stick. We still had 100 miles to go to home. I found If I did not go over 3000 RPM there was no smoke or leakage. I brought the rig to the Chevy dealer the next day. He called me the next day and told me he thought the fluid had boiled out the vent tube and a trany cooler( $1000 factory unit installed) could prevent this in the future. I contacted GS with no satisfaction was told to write a letter to national director of service. Then yesterday Chevy calls me back they had th Allison rep there to look at mine and 2 (not motorhomes) other Kodiaks with the same problem.The rep thinks the tranys are over filled causing preasure thus overflowing, also suggested a vent hole in the Dipstick tube for positive venting. Chevy is going to drain the fluid and refill to the Allison spec and remark the dipstick if needed. It still seams to me that GS should still have provided a trany cooler and temp gauge since they have built the model 6378 to almost the max weight. Note I was on my way home traveling about as light as I can with a 1/2 tank of Gas. I still intend to pursue this issue with GS after testing Chevy/Allison tests. Just as a point Allison does not provide the dipstick to chevy and there are discussions that it may not be correct. I also asked Chevy why the unit listed to the right and they said they could fix it but GS would have to pay. Chevy dealer contacted GS and made arrangements for GS local Chevey dealer to send correct spacers and GS will pay for the install. I still think I made the correct choice in the RV and this is just another milestone in the journey.
Good Luck
[/quote]

2005 Endura 6378 Gasser:
36' / 3 Slides
Toads?
2 Yahama Zuma's
rheevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #4
david_w28

Just to note, Chevy does supply the tranny cooler in their suburban's and other SUV so why not on MH units.

My 2006 C came with from the factory with a tranny cooler, it is listed on the specs from Chevy.
david_w28 is offline   Reply With Quote