Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Flower

Default Vista Cruiser 19bfd

Is there anyone who owns a Vista 19bfd? We are currently in the process of buying one, wanting to know how you like your camper.
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Flower

We have the camper home now, but am concerned about the cargo capacity. The Vista 19bfd has a 4,000 lb axle and my unloaded weight from factory is 3,247 lbs. That doesn't leave much weight for cargo. The factory includes the tongue weight which raises the cargo capacity but it still seems like frame and axle should be stronger. If you add the weight of occupants full tank of water and cargo I think it could go over the rated axle capacity.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
atreis

Best way to know: Load up for a (short) trip, but similar to how you intend to use it (including vehicle passengers, pets, etc..!), and go to a CAT Scale. They have 3 pads, so you can put the trailer axle on one and your vehicle axles on another and get both the weight on the trailer axle and the combined weight on the vehicle's axles. That will tell you if either the trailer or the tow vehicle axles are overloaded.

Chances are your weight will be fine. There's just not that much storage space in that trailer.

Exception:
Don't tow with a full water tank. That's more than 200 lbs right there. Fill up at your destination.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Flower

That sounds like a good decision, I will do that when I have the chance. First I need to find the closest scale or truck stop. Thank you
Old 12-02-2018, 10:31 AM   #5
Robofish

Hi, I own a 17RWD Vista Cruiser for over a year now. You can't go wrong with the 19. Mine is a smaller version but has everything you'd want. I upgraded with a 1500 watt power converter with 2 6v marine batteries. I never run out of power. Good luck, thanks.
Robofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
elmerfud

Default Weight Issue

Well Flower,

Where do I start! I own a 2012 VISA Cruiser 19 RGU. they chganged the name for obvious reasons in 2013. I have had 3 axles fail on the trailer. The first 2 failed within the first 6 months of ownership. The original and the replacement Lippert axle replaced under warranty. I then took matters into my own hands and had a Dexter 6,000 lb axle, 15" wheels and Goodyear Marathon tires installed. That package is limited only by the tires and is rated for 5500 lbs. It just failed and as a result has bent the frame and trashed a wheel well. My GVWR when delivered was 3,850 lbs. The Lippert axle label stated it was rated at 3,500 lbs. How can this be??? I emailed Gulfstream and they pointed out that it was OK since 350 lbs were in tongue weight. My current GVWR is 4,700 lbs with a 650 lb tongue weight. I boondock all the time and have an extra water tank and a generator built in. I agree with atreis. Load it up wet , with all your stuff. Take it to the CAT scale and weigh it twice. First weigh all 3 axles. The weight of trailer axle is not the total weight of the trailer! Then disconnect the trailer and weigh just the tow vehicle. Subtract the tow vehicle weight in the second weighing from the tow vehicle weight in the first weighing and you will have the tongue weight. Then add the tongue weight to the axle weight and viola, you have your actual GVWR. By the way, I bet you your tongue weight with water is over the 350 lbs as claimed. Regarding my repair; I engaged a fabricator to repair my bent frame. He pointed out that the frame on mine is made of only 18 gauge steel and not reinforced at all where the torsion axle mounts to the frame. Both NO-NO's! I had my trailer lifted at delivery. Therefore we are going to remove the lift kit and sister a new frame under the soda can frame with 1/8" steel. Also I am putting on a real rear bumper, you can attach things to.

All in all I like the design of the camper. Just, not the execution.
elmerfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
muleman

Default 17rwd

I have 2015 17rwd Vista Cruiser and have had it since new. Have used it alot. Not to many long trips but it is used alot in distances of about 50 to a 100 miles from the house. When road tripping I try not to run with full water tank and always try to dump all sewage and gray water tanks before leaving I have ahd no problems with axles. I have heard the earlier ones did have some axle troubles. Luckily and knock on wood we have not. We have been really pleased with ours bought it as a starter camper and was going to move up but are pleased enough for now we are staying with what we bought we do wish we would of went with the 19 because of the bed being layed out to where you can get around both sides. Be careful with weight drive carefully and I think you will be happy with your Little mobile home.
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Flower

Thank you all for your replies, they have been helpful. We will be careful not to overload and as far as boondocking that is something we will not be doing. Primarily we will be using it to travel back and forth from Tennessee to south Florida. We are using the Vista to replace a V-Cross Vibe which we have owned for five years because we wanted a little larger camper. I wanted to stay with a fiberglass roof and the Vista is all that I could find in our price range with the fiberglass roof. I too preferred a torsion axle, the Vista will be our first camper with a spring axle. We have not used the camper yet, for now I am making a few modifications. The 19BFD is a new model will be curious to know if there is anyone else on this form with the 19BFD and if the cargo weight capacity has been a problem.